The world of anime on VHS

I've got Venus Wars, Project A-Ko, Lensman and 2 volumes of 3x3 eyes on VHS. Watched them all recently too. Would love to see Ultimate Teacher and Riding Bean again if I can find them on VHS.

Just Passing Through said:
VHS anime that I got, and still have includes...

Cyber City Oedo 808
AD Police
Genocyber

all as part of the Cyberpunk Collection

Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Legend of the Four Kings on 6 tapes
Urotsukidoji Legend of the Overfiend
Tokyo Babylon Part 1
Junk Boy
Fist of the North Star
Angel Cop on 2 tapes
Detonator Orgun

I got a VHS DVD combi unit a few years ago and burnt most of them to disc.

AD Police I got on DVD from Manga, Cyber City I got on DVD from Madman, and last Christmas I got Genocyber from CPM. I'm keeping the CyberCity VHS version for the Manga rock soundtrack though.

Ghost in the Shell I've had on DVD 3 times including its 2.0 incarnation and that, latterly on Blu-ray. Ninja Scroll I've had on DVD and Blu as well. I'm not that bothered about any of the rest. Although I might think twice about Tokyo Babylon if ever that got a DVD release.

Tokyo Babylon has been released on region 1 dvd. Once by NuTech Digital and twice by Central Park Media. If you are interested it is still available from here,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n ... =383379011
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... 2650303011

mangaman74 said:
Just Passing Through said:
VHS anime that I got, and still have includes...

Tokyo Babylon Part 1
Although I might think twice about Tokyo Babylon if ever that got a DVD release.

Tokyo Babylon has been released on region 1 dvd. Once by NuTech Digital and twice by Central Park Media. If you are interested it is still available from here,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n ... =383379011
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... 2650303011

Ooh. Looks interesting. Bookmarks page for future reference.

I'm pretty envious of you guys who have been around long enough to have been part of the VHS anime era. I only started buying anime in 2001 when DVDs were pretty well into their stride (in the US, at least) so never felt the overwhelming need to pick up UK VHS releases.

Odin on VHS sounds like the most special experience anyone has mentioned over the course of the thread.

Dan said:
Got Riding Bean on DVD (uk release) awesome anime.

Riding Bean is such an underrated anime. It's not that long but it's got action and some bloody good scenes too.

Odin? The Starship Odin?

I have that on reg 1 DVD when it was released by CPM. It's been years since I last checked it out. I must do so again.

I rememeber it was rather slow paced but had alot of atmosphere and great style.
Definetly good oldschool anime.

BTW I still have anime on VHS. Ultimate Teacher is one of those VHS tapes I realy like to upgrade to a DVD.

ilmaestro said:
I'm pretty envious of you guys who have been around long enough to have been part of the VHS anime era. I only started buying anime in 2001 when DVDs were pretty well into their stride (in the US, at least) so never felt the overwhelming need to pick up UK VHS releases.

Odin on VHS sounds like the most special experience anyone has mentioned over the course of the thread.

It wasn't just that they were on VHS that was different but that they were all purchased from a shop on the high street, I don't think I started using the net to buy anime until much later on.

Just as an aide for people of the VHS era did many of you encounter faulty tapes?

I can think of at least two that I had to take back & exchange, but for the life of me I cannot now remember what the faults were just that I had exchange two tapes.

Dan said:
ilmaestro said:

I'll have to get round to watching it sometime :D
As someone who has had the pleasure *cough* of watching Odin, the 2 hour version as well, I'd say avoid, it's next to impossible to not sleep though it.

That said, it's a good one to bring up in conversations, so DO IT! :D

robot monkey said:
Just as an aide for people of the VHS era did many of you encounter faulty tapes?
Hardly ever an issue with me for retail bought VHS tapes, Anime VHS or otherwise, only had to take one back that wasn't me wearing it down as far as I remember and that was because I lent it to one of my relatives that had a very poor VCR.

I love anime on VHS i started my collection with tapes in the years since ive replaced a lot of that collection with dvd ones but for me i feel some stuff just fits better on tapes like The Thing i have a vhs copy and a dvd copy i just like watching it more on tape but they did take up a lot of room. Im not sure if it just me but anime seemed more common on the high street back in the old days woolworth's was selling it where i lived etc

Lex said:
I love anime on VHS i started my collection with tapes in the years since ive replaced a lot of that collection with dvd ones but for me i feel some stuff just fits better on tapes like The Thing i have a vhs copy and a dvd copy i just like watching it more on tape but they did take up a lot of room. Im not sure if it just me but anime seemed more common on the high street back in the old days woolworth's was selling it where i lived etc

I agree that it seemed like that to me as well when it was on VHS. Even if they didn't stock all the titles certain of the big ones seemed to pop up everywhere.

I started buying VHS tapes in 1991 with the release of Akira, I had loads of tapes at one point but have since re-bought everything on DVD and got rid of the tapes years ago. I had quite a few VHS fansub tapes as well, the quality was awful on most of them but it was the only way to see a lot of anime.

Odin, it's over long but I love it, I've owned it on VHS and have both CPM DVD's. I have a re-watch planned in the next week of it actually.

Back