The world of anime on VHS

Just wanted to find out if any others go back as far as the days of anime in the UK on VHS like myself?

I know there are a few from the other place but how about on here?

Remember the old companies like Western Connection, Kiseki, Pioneer, East2West etc etc?

The variety of releases in those days, a number of which have never made it to DVD over here.

I'm just after that era unfortunately, being a Toonami kid. However, a load of MangaUK's old stuff ended up on the Sci-Fi channel at midnight and I'd sometimes stay up and watch them if I could, stuff like Roujin Z. I do miss the old MangaUK dubs in all their sweary glory though. I've been trying to watch more stuff from the 80s and 90s, I love Mad Bull 34 and Angel Cop, and have been meaning to watch Cyber City Oedo for a while now.

Don't make me feel even older than I should Ath, I'm only 24! :(

I grew up on Toonami/Sci-Fi Channel as well, but I was introduced to Anime back in the early 90s.....anyone else my age experience both?

Haha, I'm not too much younger than you! I'm 23, going to be 24 in May.

My first exposure to anime was reading about some obscure but awesome looking cartoon magazine in Empire magazine in 1996 (Ahhh I remember the name now, it was called...Akira :p). Then in R.E. lessons at school they showed us an anime called Superbook. Finally Pokemon hit and I was set. After Toonami came Saiko-Exciting and Nadesico/Eva and then CNX followed.

I just hit 24 this month if that helps? No? D:

Either way, i got introduced to it via CNX/Toonami, i noticed some shows on Sci-Fi, but they never stood out to me before. I was always brought up more on gaming, so anime was foreign to me until i saw Bebop/DBZ, etc. I'm only just really delving into the older titles from the 80s-90s now, escaflowne, cyber city and such i all watched last year. So it's catch-up with me. I could go on talking about Game Gear titles, NES, titles, etc instead if that's an option?

I threw away all of my VHS tapes, even the ones I don't have on DVD, in the pursuit for space (I no longer have a VHS player anyway). I started collecting during the Manga Years and fondly remember my joy when we finally started getting more TV shows alongside the (admittedly cool) movies/OAVs. And the funny smell the Anime Projects liner notes always seemed to have as I read them over and over.

I also remember getting so excited about Eva that I started importing the tapes from France as they were subbed (in French) and ahead of our release, and then raging when one of my household players could only play them in black and white ^^;

R

Well I'm 27, and got into anime/manga in about 1991/1992. I started with the DBZ manga, as well as Dirty Pair, Striker, and Akira mangas; I then went on to movies on VHS like the Cyber City Oedo 808 series, Devilman, Akira, and Street Fighter II - The Animated Movie. After that, I watched series like Escaflowne, Gundam Wing, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Fist of the North Star, Martian Successor Nadesico, etc. And that was most of my 90s!

The VHS Titles I remember owning (off the top of my head) are

3x3 Eyes, Dirty Pair Flash, Tenchi Muyo, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Dragon Half, X, Urusei Yatsura OVAs, Kimagure Orange Road OVAs, Street Fighter II, Gunsmith Cats, Burn Up W, You're Under Arrest, Perfect Blue, Sakura Wars, Martian Successor Nadesico, Shadow Skill, Ah! My Goddess, Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, Magic Knight Rayearth.....

Toonami TV Shows (off the top of my head)

Escaflowne, Dragon Ball, Z & GT, Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Pokemon, Monster Rancher, Medarot, Gundam Wing, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Beyblade....

I remember looking longingly at adverts for Manga videos (not placed by Manga themselves I don't think, but a mail order supplier) in old Amiga magazines back in the mid '90s long before I ever watched any anime - I'm probably considered a fairly late comer having not really got into it until I was in my 20s. But back then there never really would have been an opportunity to sneak a tape with a high BBFC rating into our video recorder (see how forbidding children things doesn't work, parents? I still became utterly corrupt). Along with sexy Shirow pics, the Guyver videos particularly caught my eye. Oddly that's something I still haven't watched.

Pokémon the Movie, Pokémon 2000, Pokémon The Movie 3, Pikachu's Winter Vacation. About it? In fact, I recently got rid of the TV that had the last VHS player in the house.

I mainly got into anime through Pokémon, Toonami and stuff from that era. I think Naruto was the show that pulled me into the anime fandom though.

I remember before Manga (the label) started over here, when the only anime was Bubble Gum Crisis at around £30 for a 2 episode tape, and about the only way to get anime over here was through the few anime clubs which traded videos - seem to remember Sheffield was the centre in this country.

I saw a few dragon ball gt episodes on vhs in the ´90 and i still have them. I think the first anime i saw in vhs was ninja scroll at a friends house. Besides that, just internet/dvd lol

My first known anime experience (that I knew of since I didn't know that samurai pizza cats was anime when it was aired on ITV ages ago) was with the late night anime slot on channel 4 (I actually recorded the whole of the legend of the four kings when it was aired then, but I accidentally wiped one of the tapes so I had to rent the originals to get the whole series back), but I really didn't get hooked in until nadesico and evangelion aired on sci-fi and I still have all my purchased VHS tapes (although that is limited to the complete new dominion tank police series (six tapes in total), ghost in the shell, cyber city oedo 808 and project a-ko).

demonix said:
My first known anime experience (that I knew of since I didn't know that samurai pizza cats was anime when it was aired on ITV ages ago) was with the late night anime slot on channel 4 (I actually recorded the whole of the legend of the four kings when it was aired then, but I accidentally wiped one of the tapes so I had to rent the originals to get the whole series back), but I really didn't get hooked in until nadesico and evangelion aired on sci-fi and I still have all my purchased VHS tapes (although that is limited to the complete new dominion tank police series (six tapes in total), ghost in the shell, cyber city oedo 808 and project a-ko).

Something similar with me as my first anime was Akira when it was first shown on TV, not sure if that was Channel 4 or BBC Two now because it was so long ago. :)

Over time Channel Four showed quite a few of Manga's early properties in a number of seasons.

These are the titles I can remember them putting on, though I didn't see all of them:

Akira, Legend of the Overfiend-various series, Violent Jack, Cyber City Oedo 808, Legend of the Four Kings, Wicked City, The Guyver, Doomed Megalopolis & I am sure there are a few I have missed.

I have Anime on VHS, I did have the Lupin (err, Wolf) releases from Manga back in the 90's and lost them but managed to buy new VHS copies of Mamo and Goodbye Lady Liberty again a few years ago.

I remember some of the titles from Manga Entertainment VHS days and the opening video and other anime on TV that I wasn't fully aware of being anime at the time before finding out but it was CNX and remembering some of the shots from Akira when I first watched the film on TV (robot monkey: Akira was on BBC Two in 93 or 94) from the documentary on the Animatrix DVD that got me into Anime.

MIBlackburn_d6 said:
I have Anime on VHS, I did have the Lupin (err, Wolf) releases from Manga back in the 90's and lost them but managed to buy new VHS copies of Mamo and Goodbye Lady Liberty again a few years ago.

I remember some of the titles from Manga Entertainment VHS days and the opening video and other anime on TV that I wasn't fully aware of being anime at the time before finding out but it was CNX and remembering some of the shots from Akira when I first watched the film on TV (robot monkey: Akira was on BBC Two in 93 or 94) from the documentary on the Animatrix DVD that got me into Anime.

The Lupin films got split across a number of companies back in the VHS days, the rights seemed to be sold in a very ad hoc fashion?

Didn't have that much anime on VHS, the usual Pokemon series videos,Pokemon films,Yu Gi Oh and I had End of Evangelion,I only really started collecting anime DVD onwards.

robot monkey said:
demonix said:

Something similar with me as my first anime was Akira when it was first shown on TV, not sure if that was Channel 4 or BBC Two now because it was so long ago. :)

Over time Channel Four showed quite a few of Manga's early properties in a number of seasons.

These are the titles I can remember them putting on, though I didn't see all of them:

Akira, Legend of the Overfiend-various series, Violent Jack, Cyber City Oedo 808, Legend of the Four Kings, Wicked City, The Guyver, Doomed Megalopolis & I am sure there are a few I have missed.

I think it was BBC 2 that showed Akira. I saw it as well and if my memory is correct they showed The Wings of Honneamise a week or two later.

As for VHS tapes, I still have mine from back around the mid 1990s. I have around 20 - 30 tapes but I decided to go the import route for dvds as the magazines I started reading indicated that the stuff which was being released in the UK was only a tiny fraction of what was available (a policy I have continued with blu-ray).

Back