The Volume Rating Thread

A Certain Scientific Railgun 6
Oh wow...I really liked this volume. It's quite a big one (a bit bigger than volume 5, about twice as big as volume 1) but it didn't feel long at all. I think the whole Sisters Arc has been fantastic so far - it's taken such a simple plot device like cloning and given it a real spin. Through Fuyukawa's art, you could really get a deep sense of what Misaka was feeling in this emotional roller-coaster of volume. Her anger towards Academy City, the futility upon learning the truth about Tree Diagram and the relief she felt when Toma intervened. What I love about Misaka is even when you learn about her past, she isn't the kind of female character you want to hug and protect - she's the kind you want to get behind and cheer on.

My only complaint about the volume was that Toma beating down on Accelerator was a tad too short for my liking.

9/10

Berserk vol.1
10/10
Wow! This was bat **** nuts! Do violent and gory! Hell,even the kids are killed in brutal ways!! I can see why this is so popular now! I love it!!!

Fairy Tail vol.1
7/10
Ive slready seen a bit of the snime so tgere wasnt anything new here. Still fun to read

Bad Police (1989)

Ultraviolent one-volume police actioner, much in the mould of classics like Wild 7 and Mad Bull 34. Crudely written and not for the feint of heart, but so wildly exaggerated that it's hard not to crack a smile at its sheer excess, with the main character opening every door with his motorcycle and laughing off 20 bullet wounds in the space of a few hours.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (Stars Arc);

Huh, it's funny how a proper translation puts things in perspective. Oddly enough, beforehand the line was always Sailor Chaos will come and she will be as Entropy across the cosmos with the Tokyopop translation but with this translation that doesn't make it a done deal and makes everyone other than Usagi come off as slightly extremist (and also, interestingly enough plays hooky with one interpretation of Madoka I had) in that They'd be willing to invoke a quiet extinction over the chance that they'd have to be fighting for their lives.

But wow, what a crazy ass trip these last two years have been eh? I mean this time in 2010 you would have never thought that we'd get a proper retranslation of Sailor Moon or Manga would get DBZ (nevermind One Piece!) Out on DVD. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back