The Volume Rating Thread

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Soul Eater Not! 1
"Oh, I hear this is like Soul Eater mixed with K-ON!. I like both of those."
"So buy it then"

That is the exchange that led to me picking this up from Waterstones. What I'd heard wasn't wrong...and I prefer this over the main Soul Eater series. First things first, the main characters can easily be sorted into stereotypes:
Meme Tatane makes me think of what would happen if you took Minori from Toradora and Yui from K-ON and smacked them together. Anya Hepburn is pretty much a tsundere Mugi from K-ON!, except everyone else takes her tsundereing at face value which is hilarious. The protagonist is Azusa Nakano from K-ON!- I mean, Tsugumi Harudori. Put them in a room together and everything pretty much speaks for itself.

However, while there's the typical moe stuff like working a part time job waitressing, this volume also features what we know from Soul Eater - fights, villains lurking in the shadows and yes, some pervyness. As Cilan from Pokémon would say, it's a "wonderful marriage!". Also, the covers feel really pretty.

This series' opening volume is by no means ground breaking, but it's pretty entertaining.

7.5/10

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
Rate the last manga you read out of 10

Surprised no one has done this yet and just thought it would be fun to do, seeing as there is one for anime.
Its pretty much the same as the anime one, just rate the last manga volume you read.

Ill start us off:

Tokyo Tribes volume 3
8/10
Yet again, tokyo tribes keeps impressing me with its GTA like atmosphere. Its also getting alot more interesting with Galileo hot on kais and Mera tale!

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Read through the first volume of Voynich Hotel the other day. It's a strange little seinen comedy about a Japanese guy staying in an old hotel on an island in the south Pacific, where he meets an increasingly weird selection of other guests, including drug dealers, rival assassins and panda-eating gourmets.

I think what sets the series apart is that it doesn't labour its jokes the way so many comedy series do. Instead, it has this almost Monty Pythonesque habit of giving you part of a joke and then telling you a different one when it starts to get boring.

It's not side-splittlingly hilarious, but the story is consistently amusing and its cartoonish art-style seems to fit the frequently bizarre subject matter. Typical example; a model comes to the island for a photoshoot, but is promptly scared off by the ghosts of two gangsters she thinks are characters from Dragonball Z.

Unfortunately, the manga is on bi-monthly release at the moment, so the second volume probably won't arrive any time soon, but I would still recommend checking it out anyway.

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
Oh did'nt realise there was a volume rating thread. My bad lol

Worst Vol.1
6/10
Seeing as this was about gangs in schools fighting each other, i thought this would be my kind of thing. However, i was wrong.

Overall it was pretty boring. Nothing really much happened. It was just a bunch of moody looking yob-like teens looking at each other. Also it didnt give me reason to like any of the characters with them not having much development.

In total, It was good for its price (£2 something) although its not something im eager to finish.

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
Toriko volume 4
8/10
A big improvement over the last volume as there was more action and less talking. ALso Sunny is a interesting character. The art design still amazes me.

Only bad thing is that it ended pretty abruptly

All in all a good volume :)

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
Toriko volume 5
8/10
Man im banging out these Toriko mangas! Good stuff once again! Great action and love the character designs. Moves at a snails pace though.

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
Claymore Vol.21

7/10

Always manages to deliver, the scene of Cassandra unleashing her ability and slicing people's limbs to bits was bloody brilliant. Her whole backstory, as well as Roxanne's, was great too. Roxanne is in fact the most memorable looking character that Nagi has drawn in quite some time, she's extremely distinctive and instantly recognisable and I only wish he could take this approach to the rest of his ever expanding cast.

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
I think im the only one who goes on manga rating thread lol

Toriko Vol. 7
7/10
Good stuff, not as action packed as the last volume but still pretty decent.

Blue Exorcist vol. 2
9/10
SOOOOO much better than the last volume. More interesting characters, better action, and overall better character development.

Tokyo Tribes vol. 4
9/10
Tokyo Tribes seems to be good in every volume so far! DEFINITELY one of my most favorite manga series. Might have to watch the anime series afterwards.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Soul Eater Not! 2
Okay, as Soul Eater characters tend to make cameos or brief appearances in this side series (hell, Maka, Soul, Liz, Patty and Kidd all appear in this volume alone), during the big "Death Bazaar" 2-page spread, I looked around to see if there were any Soul Eater characters there...I only fecking found Wally. Ohkubo is awesome now. Instant 10/10.

As much as Wally made me crack up, on a more serious note, I really liked this volume too. Mainly because Kim was so. damn. adorable. Seriously, I just want to hug her.

The slice of life side of the series kept with the tried and tested scenarios (like cleaning the pool) and the more action-side to things is still building up, so I can't say that narratively, it was an improvement over the last volume (especially as the last volume had the whole "setting the scene" deal going on). The end of the volume took a particularly grisly turn though. Not going to spoil it, but I do wonder how the next volume will deal with it.

7/10

st_owly (witch)

Time-Traveller
Kamisama Kiss volume 11.

This volume brought the end of an arc, which had been dragged out a little long in my opinion, so I was glad to see the end of it. One of my favourite characters also made an appearance for the first time in ages. 8/10

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
Blue Exorcist Vol. 3
8/10
Good stuff yet again. The fight between Rin and Amaimon was pretty cool. However i don't likehow they keep going on about Father Fujimoto like it was really sad. He died in the first chapter for christ sake! Atleast give him more development before he dies then i might of felt sad!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Wolf

Symphogear
AUKN Staff
Aron's Absurd Armada, Vol. 1

I know that it's a manhwa but having read I thought it was good. It was funny, entertaining and I liked the characters. It was also entirely in colour so it had that extra appeal too.

Score: 9 / 10

sanji no 1

Vampire Ninja
Hitman! vol. 1
4/10
Unoriginal repetitive nonsense! The pacing moves at a snails pace, The characters are unbelievably lame and lack any type of development making them unlikable, the same thing happens in each chapter and doesn't have anything to make it distinctive to stand out in the Shonen world! Possibly one of the worst mangas i read!

The biggest gripe with this manga is Reborn himself. A toddler as a mafioso? Seriously? People are fine with that? It isn't cool at all! Its F*****g stupid! Its most lamest thing i've ever seen! I could'nt take it seriously whatsoever! Thats something i expect from a crappy movie like Baby Geniuses!

Will NOT be continuing this series!