The Volume Rating Thread

Oh did'nt realise there was a volume rating thread. My bad lol

Worst Vol.1
6/10
Seeing as this was about gangs in schools fighting each other, i thought this would be my kind of thing. However, i was wrong.

Overall it was pretty boring. Nothing really much happened. It was just a bunch of moody looking yob-like teens looking at each other. Also it didnt give me reason to like any of the characters with them not having much development.

In total, It was good for its price (£2 something) although its not something im eager to finish.

Toriko volume 4
8/10
A big improvement over the last volume as there was more action and less talking. ALso Sunny is a interesting character. The art design still amazes me.

Only bad thing is that it ended pretty abruptly

All in all a good volume :)

Toriko volume 5
8/10
Man im banging out these Toriko mangas! Good stuff once again! Great action and love the character designs. Moves at a snails pace though.

Claymore Vol.21

7/10

Always manages to deliver, the scene of Cassandra unleashing her ability and slicing people's limbs to bits was bloody brilliant. Her whole backstory, as well as Roxanne's, was great too. Roxanne is in fact the most memorable looking character that Nagi has drawn in quite some time, she's extremely distinctive and instantly recognisable and I only wish he could take this approach to the rest of his ever expanding cast.

I think im the only one who goes on manga rating thread lol

Toriko Vol. 7
7/10
Good stuff, not as action packed as the last volume but still pretty decent.

Blue Exorcist vol. 2
9/10
SOOOOO much better than the last volume. More interesting characters, better action, and overall better character development.

Tokyo Tribes vol. 4
9/10
Tokyo Tribes seems to be good in every volume so far! DEFINITELY one of my most favorite manga series. Might have to watch the anime series afterwards.

Soul Eater Not! 2
Okay, as Soul Eater characters tend to make cameos or brief appearances in this side series (hell, Maka, Soul, Liz, Patty and Kidd all appear in this volume alone), during the big "Death Bazaar" 2-page spread, I looked around to see if there were any Soul Eater characters there...I only fecking found Wally. Ohkubo is awesome now. Instant 10/10.

As much as Wally made me crack up, on a more serious note, I really liked this volume too. Mainly because Kim was so. damn. adorable. Seriously, I just want to hug her.

The slice of life side of the series kept with the tried and tested scenarios (like cleaning the pool) and the more action-side to things is still building up, so I can't say that narratively, it was an improvement over the last volume (especially as the last volume had the whole "setting the scene" deal going on). The end of the volume took a particularly grisly turn though. Not going to spoil it, but I do wonder how the next volume will deal with it.

7/10

Kamisama Kiss volume 11.

This volume brought the end of an arc, which had been dragged out a little long in my opinion, so I was glad to see the end of it. One of my favourite characters also made an appearance for the first time in ages. 8/10

Blue Exorcist Vol. 3
8/10
Good stuff yet again. The fight between Rin and Amaimon was pretty cool. However i don't likehow they keep going on about Father Fujimoto like it was really sad. He died in the first chapter for christ sake! Atleast give him more development before he dies then i might of felt sad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aron's Absurd Armada, Vol. 1

I know that it's a manhwa but having read I thought it was good. It was funny, entertaining and I liked the characters. It was also entirely in colour so it had that extra appeal too.

Score: 9 / 10

Hitman! vol. 1
4/10
Unoriginal repetitive nonsense! The pacing moves at a snails pace, The characters are unbelievably lame and lack any type of development making them unlikable, the same thing happens in each chapter and doesn't have anything to make it distinctive to stand out in the Shonen world! Possibly one of the worst mangas i read!

The biggest gripe with this manga is Reborn himself. A toddler as a mafioso? Seriously? People are fine with that? It isn't cool at all! Its F*****g stupid! Its most lamest thing i've ever seen! I could'nt take it seriously whatsoever! Thats something i expect from a crappy movie like Baby Geniuses!

Will NOT be continuing this series!

To be fair mate, it was just MY opinion. Not everyone is going to like it. If I don't like it for whatever reason that's fine. Even if they are crappy reasons. If people like it that's fine to. Everyone has there own opinion.

Tough vol. 4
8/10
Good stuff yet again. Good martial arts action. Only problem I have with these Volumes is that they can be finished so quickly. Maybe because there isn't a lot of dialogue. Only a minor nitpick though.

Tough Vol. 5&6
Fantastic stuff! Non-stop balls to the walls action! With a hint a character development :)

Tough (vol.1 to 6)
10/10
This manga series was made for me! I had the time of my life watching Baki The Grappler then i have the chance to read Tough, which is very similar to Baki The Grappler. Sure its a no-brainer, but its a hell of a lot of fun! My most Favourite manga Series!

Its a shame only 6 volumes were done in english

Hayate The Combat Butler Volume 1
Please tell me that the initial conversation between Hayate and Blonde-Shana-I mean Nagi and how it led to that understanding made more sense in the original Japanese language.

Personally, I'm not sure what to think of this series so far. I mainly decided to give it a go because I tried watching the latest anime season (which I remember reading would be okay for newcomers...totally wasn't) and thought I'd go to the original manga.

I think the biggest problem with this introductory volume is a lot of the humour is misfired. For example, with Hayate's past...it's like the author is undecided on whether they want me to feel sorry for him, or to laugh it off because of how ridiculous it sounds. The fact that it wasn't entirely focusing on how ridiculous it was (or even left it as Hayate just saying it, so it could be passed off as a lie) means that it doesn't really connect well with the comedy premise. I also know it's meant to be a comedy, but the whole "love at first sight" thing always bugs the hell out of me.

I think the problem with this volume was, there was a fair bit of "ridiculous" but not enough "funny". The last few chapters focusing on Klaus had to be my favourite one (like when Klaus assumed that Hayate was a Gundam and wouldn't hire him because he won't hire a Gundam) and him falling for Hayate when he was forced to cross-dress)

5/10

Gun Blaze West vol.1
7/10
Pretty decent. Not fantastic but was still fun. Its nice to see a western themed manga, as there are many out there. It was surprisingly very touching and action packed which was great. Only bad thing is that its not the most original manga I've read.

Back