The obligatory Mac/PC Discussion

Asdrubael said:
Spyro201 said:
I'm assuming you're a relatively advanced user then when it comes to Linux hence using the other versions?

I heard Ubuntu 9.04 isn't very new-user friendly which poses a problem for me, being a new Ubuntu user.

I've never used Ubuntu so I can only say what I've heard and read about it. You can download from their site, burn it to a cd them boot the computer with the cd in the drive. It will ask you basic set up questions and will install. It should set up partitions automatically or if you want there may be an advanced section where you will be able to specify but that won't be necessary. It will reformat your hard disk.

The file system (ie folders like program files etc) will be completely different to windows but the look will be very similar. http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu

My first Linux was Gentoo but I would NOT recommend it unless you want to get to know how the kernel works on a coding level (like I did :p). Knowing c, c++ and shell scripting would be useful to be able to manage Gentoo well, its not easy to use.

Mhm.

The problem i've heard about is that if Ubuntu can't detect your connection/dongle straight away, it's a hard problem to fix. Any idea if this is true?

Maltos said:
Mutsumi said:
You cannot show someone a big folder full of music & feel proud...
Oh, I beg to differ. I've seen threads (on other forums) where members were bragging about how many hundreds of gigabytes, or in a few cases terabytes, of MP3/FLACs they had. It's quite mad.

That said, I'm still a firm believer in physical media for music. I still buy CDs and vinyl so it's good to know I'll have a nice collection of music i'm proud of, and will listen to regularly, in the future. :)

I wonder how much of those many giga or terabytes of theirs were music they bought digital copies of? Not much I'd imagine. Bragging about having that much free music is a little better. :)

Spyro201 said:
The problem i've heard about is that if Ubuntu can't detect your connection/dongle straight away, it's a hard problem to fix. Any idea if this is true?

After a bit of looking around I have found people having this problem which after looking at instructions, seemed awkward to fix. However they were all dated 2007/2008. Ubuntu should detect your dongle and install correctly. This is the most recent version of the problem that I found but they solved it.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/70416

There's no mention of the problem in the known bugs of the most recent version. If in doubt just ask the Ubuntu community your question (see the link below) and they will tell you everything you need to know.

https://answers.launchpad.net/

Mutsumi said:
Still wouldn't win me over. I don't believe in paying money for a file I could download in under ten seconds & for free elsewhere. I'm sticking with CDs.
No need to part with the pennies. Sharepod just allows you to upload your MP3 files to your trendy piece of fruit without any of the woe and frustration you'd get from the propitiatory fruit company software.
I've even taught my mother how to download songs from Skreemr and upload them to the iPod she received as a free gift when she bought her car.
It was a Škoda.
I digress.

Copies then converts, basically. It's a free and simple substitute for iTunes, allowing you to upload songs to your iPod without making any changes to the format of your MP3 collection. It runs from the iPod itself to integrate with its file system.
You can't use it to rip CDs though- it only works with media files.

kupocake said:
chaos said:
there are things that macs cannot do that pc's can such as getting infected by viruses...
That's just plain wrong. People code viruses for Macs. There are just less of them because there are less people to target, therefore less incentive.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/01/another-mac-vir/

Ok, this is one sample of reported viruses. There surely are people writing virus for macs, but for instance, in this case it's neither a virus (its a trojan) and it's neither a real threat (you have to download software illegally, then you have to provide the said software with your password so the said virus can install itself and run).

There are no real virus, that can actually replicate itself on its own like there are in windows. And even those trojans, spywares, etc that I've read about so far, none of them poses a real threat, as they need you to type your password for them to install and execute themselves.

WRT your comments about public transport and taxis. That seems spot on to me. with the difference that the reason you use taxis as a more reliable / anytime alternative. Windows just like public transport is great for 90% of the situations. But got the odd 10%, they are simply no good (ie having to arrive at 6am to the airport or getting back home after the last train).

You could surely walk home or try getting the night buses, but is it worth the effort? That's for you to decide. In the end, it's more a money / time thing than any other. I decided that the time I spent troubleshooting windows were way worth the premium price of a mac.

Dracos said:
Snow Leopard is out Friday. I am not sure whether to get it or wait and see if anyone has problems with it.

I asked my boss if I could leave early to pick it up on the day :) he agreed because I said I'd test compatibility with our product on it - muahaha.

So if I'm conspicuously absent this weekend, assume the worst.

R

Rui said:
Dracos said:
Snow Leopard is out Friday. I am not sure whether to get it or wait and see if anyone has problems with it.

I asked my boss if I could leave early to pick it up on the day :) he agreed because I said I'd test compatibility with our product on it - muahaha.

So if I'm conspicuously absent this weekend, assume the worst.

R

I've just got one of those bad feelings that nobody else in the world will have any issues with it. I will then buy it install it and all hell will break lose.

Back