The obligatory Mac/PC Discussion

chaos

The Boss
Mutsumi said:
Not choosing a mac is the right decision in my opinion. Evil things with style over substance. :mad:

*braces self for a fiery comeback from a mac lover*
choosing a mac is style over substance? Hardly. Mac's have Unix under the hood:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8205976.stm

I can agree with gamers who don't want macs because they can't run most games there, but to say that they are style over substance seems bit far fetched to me.

chaos said:
Mutsumi said:
Not choosing a mac is the right decision in my opinion. Evil things with style over substance. :mad:

*braces self for a fiery comeback from a mac lover*
choosing a mac is style over substance? Hardly. Mac's have Unix under the hood:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8205976.stm

I can agree with gamers who don't want macs because they can't run most games there, but to say that they are style over substance seems bit far fetched to me.

Actually I bought my current Mac (2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gig RAM, 250gig HDD 13.3" macbook) based purely off using my old one (g4 1.5ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gig HDD)....I picked up a Powerbook around 5 years ago and in that time I had one laptop with no problems while everyone else had dodgy screens, poorly built chassis, etc. etc.

In my eyes if you're using a laptop day in, day out then a Mac is worth the premium...just for the little touches like the superb trackpad, the autodimming screen/keyboard, the magnetic power lead, the slim/light nature of the box etc. Admittedly I wouldn't get one if I just wanted to browse the net and write word documents on (That's what my EEEPC is for) but for a heavy use duty cycle you can't go wrong with a Macbook.

Plus a Macbook is a great investment....I sold my old powerbook to a mate for £250 and he's still using it...goodness knows how much life it has left.

The way I see it I could have had a £500 laptop for those 5 years or a £980 Mac...Now that's either 27p or 53p per day....my mac is EASILLY worth that 26p per day extra to me.

I will become a mac fanboy later in my life, that's without a doubt. I just thought going with more of the same would be a good bet this time round. All I actually use a computer for is documents, browsing and watching videos. I rarely game, but I might pick up The Sims 3 just to mess around with on this. I played it at PC World the other day, and the freedom was good. They completely screwed up this guys house, so I hired a maid and a mechanic to fix the toilets.

Then again, it means rebuying Sims again and doing that kills you inside.

Also going to receive a haircut in a little bit.

I'll concede that macs are not bad, but I've yet to find something they can do that a PC cannot do.

Not enough buttons on their mice either.

Mutsumi said:
I'll concede that macs are not bad, but I've yet to find something they can do that a PC cannot do.

there are things that macs cannot do that pc's can such as getting infected by viruses...
Ever since I've moved to macs, I never had to re-install the OS or format my desktop at all....

But pc's are playing catchup pretty fast now, but not very long ago macs were the choice for professional sound engineering, 3d model design and graphics applications.

Many designers and musicians still favours macs over pcs.

edit: WRT the button thing, most people only uses the right, left click and the scrool wheel and all those functions are present there...

chaos said:
Many designers and musicians still favours macs over pcs.
Can't understand why because the software they use is also available on PC.

chaos said:
edit: WRT the button thing, most people only uses the right, left click and the scrool wheel and all those functions are present there...
How do you right click on a mouse with only one button.

Mutsumi said:
How do you right click on a mouse with only one button.

With a mighty mouse you just click the right side of the mouse.

On topic. I received my car insurance renewal and a heart tremor. £466 that's nearly £150 more than last year. Time again for a bit of price checking. I was hoping it was going to be okay this year as the last couple of years it was not worth the hassle to save a tenner.

Before I start anti-trolling, Jayme: You should have fun with the Vaio. Not the choice I'd have made but as Windows laptops go the Sony models are certainly amongst the cream of the crop and obviously if a Mac that doesn't meet your ideal spec doesn't exist it makes sense to go for the kit that fits best ;)

Mutsumi said:

I don't know why Windows fans have such a problem with Mac fans existing. It's a free world! Windows fans seem to have a real chip on their soldiers about imaginary Mac zealots sometimes.

A Windows PC cannot run OSX. OSX makes me happy. I use Windows at work all day and when I come home I want my computer not to piss me off any more. Having the power of the Unix terminal married to the simplicity of an OS designed around the user rather than enthusiasts is relaxing.

My Mac can run Windows when needed. I do so to play TF2 (Windows 7 RC 64-bit with the retail edition preordered). Windows makes me frustrated, but having access to every major OS on one piece of very nice hardware is a very powerful position to be in. I don't count Hackintoshes as being in the same category at all; they don't offer the simplicity of a tailormade solution and require a relatively high level of enthusiasm to maintain. I also have plenty of OSX/*nix-only applications and have never once in 20 years of using Macs had to reinstall my OS or endure any other irritation. My secondary box (another Mac desktop) is over 10 years old, 400MHz and still put to work daily running my clan's voicechat server, my e-mail server, my remote files and other things that I just want to leave running 24/7. I have never had to fix or tweak that machine, ever. It has probably been the best value piece of kit I have ever owned and has more than paid for itself.

I use a £2 Logitech mouse at the moment on my main desktop (prefer distinct buttons for FPS gaming or I keep accidentally making a fool of myself) but the Mighty Mouse's trackball is fantastic and more than makes up for not having 12 buttons and go-faster stripes for day to day use. All USB mice work with the Mac so the mouse argument isn't really a valid one. Just pick what you want to use and do so.

Dracos said:
On topic. I received my car insurance renewal and a heart tremor. £466 that's nearly £150 more than last year. Time again for a bit of price checking. I was hoping it was going to be okay this year as the last couple of years it was not worth the hassle to save a tenner.

Ouch! Have you tried calling them? Our home insurance doubles every year so I always call and sound suitably infuriated - we always end up with it costing about the same in the end after going through the ritual.

R

Rui you're forgetting the one major problem with all Macs-

Price

A windows PC will always rule over Macs due to thier price and compatibility.

Sure- you can run Windows by mounting or various other things to play TF2 or whatever but, Windows will always outsell Mac. It's just so much more simple and easy. It's also got nearly all the same programs as a Mac, if not better ones.

I can understand how the sheer power (and therefore high price) of a Mac is appealing to proffesional muscians, but muscians like myself who aren't (yet, hopefully XD) proffesional muscians can't afford a Mac for all thier music editting, they will therefore turn to Windows (or Linux).

Rui said:
Mutsumi said:

I don't know why Windows fans have such a problem with Mac fans existing. It's a free world! Windows fans seem to have a real chip on their soldiers about imaginary Mac zealots sometimes.

I'm not one of those windows fans, don't worry. I simply do not understand the appeal of macs. I know they work fine, & due to being a comparative minority have less viruses tailored for their weaknesses, etc, but I cannot logically see them as better at any particular purpose, merely different. I'm no expert on it all though, so don't feel that I'm trying to 'win an argument' here, I'm just saying I don't understand the appeal of macs.

Their trackball does indeed pwn though. However, if 'Mighty Mouse' is the proper name for their mice, then it is awfully cheesy in my opinion. Mice like cheese though, so all is well that ends well.

Rui said:
You mean there aren't Mac fans out there who go on and on about how much better / cooler Macs are than PC's?

Surely a company like Apple wouldn't condone such behaviour... ;)

mac-pc.png

^ The UK ones managed to be less condescending though, because PC Users don't actually mind being equated with David Mitchell, hilarious man that he is.

Edit: ^ arrow became < arrow.

Edit 2: Arrgh! Arrows changed back again!

ayase said:
You mean there aren't Mac fans out there who go on and on about how much better / cooler Macs are than PC's?

Surely a company like Apple wouldn't condone such behaviour... ;)

The Mac guy annoys *me* and I'm one of the biggest Mac freaks I know. Both versions of him.

I don't think we can really bring marketing departments into it or Microsoft owes me big time for actually having the gall to sell Windows ME. Which I own :(

The price argument doesn't really affect me since I'm old and patient enough to be able to take the big picture into consideration. A Mac of course costs more up front than a Windows PC of equivalent spec (especially as almost every Windows PC pricing list seems to ignore the cost of Windows thanks to the prevalence of warez, though there's of course more to it than that). Over time though I've found that Macs tend to save money due to being built to last (I do buy rather high end kit...) and definitely save literally days of my administration time over the years I use them which does equate to a financial saving. Heck using OSX over Windows saves me time every day for the tasks I do. It adds up when I use a computer as much as this.

I consider myself a rather advanced Windows user and have had a few standard PCs as well including a ridiculously over powerful gaming laptop which I won, specced and then gave to my husband. But it's always Macs for my main machines. Personal preference and one of the things about myself I will not be swayed on.

Moving this to a separate thread before someone rightly points out I'm feeding an off topic discussion in a naughty way! :)

R

Again, for the Mac pricing issue.....is 26p per day really that much over the lifespan of a computer for the endless amounts of ease of use and build quality a Mac gives you.

As for the mouse, who needs one when you have a multi-touch trackpad (the size of gloucester on the newer macs). Single finger to left click, two to right click, double finger drag to scroll....and then assign what you like to 3 or 4 fingers.

As for something a PC cannot do.... Exposé on a dual head setup. My PC is dual 22" WS monitors, there are apps to attempt Exposé functions, but they seem to either be dog slow, or they use my second screen as a "buffer" to hold the windows while I choose one, creating horrible effects like windows randomly changing monitors, flickering, etc. etc. etc. Almost any Mac user will tell you that expose is a godsend.

Also, the Mac comes with a full terminal, which when you use Nano and SSH as much as I do is a godsend.

This is not to say PCs are without their benefits....I own 4 of the damn things. I like the ability to build and tweak my own kit (for waaaaay less than shop prices...I like my account manager at Dabs, he likes giving me discount). It's actually somewhat of a hobby, and really does help you learn PC hardware diagnosis (which is good for schools IT bods to know).

tl;dr version: Macs aren't that expensive if you think about it, but a PC is fine too.

I've always loved the look of Mac and some of the things i hear it can offer.

But i like to toy with alot of freeware and do alot of different things with my pc and there just is not enough programs out there to satify my need.

But i will agree, there does some to be alot of distain from windows users to mac users. Mac users can see the benefits of both and windows users cant seem to fathom that anything else could be better than windows. Though this is not a general rule of thumb, but nothing ever is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JixbzFjv_cU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JixbzFjv_cU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Will-O'-The-Wisp said:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JixbzFjv_cU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JixbzFjv_cU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LMFAO!

chaos said:
there are things that macs cannot do that pc's can such as getting infected by viruses...
That's just plain wrong. People code viruses for Macs. There are just less of them because there are less people to target, therefore less incentive. Using a Mac over a PC is sort of like taking taxis in London rather than public transport because you think the extra money will prevent you from being the target of a twice-a-decade terrorist attack. On the plus side, you get a cleaner, 1% more reliable ride and the option - whether you choose to flex it or not - of looking down your snout at everyone because you're different.

Isn't that really the thing now? Macs are no longer worse than PCs, but they sure as hell aren't better either. You get one or the other because the good rep of a certain piece of marketing has worked its magic on you.
ayase said:
^ The UK ones managed to be less condescending though, because PC Users don't actually mind being equated with David Mitchell, hilarious man that he is.
I seem to remember Charlie Brooker saying something about this: Macs as slightly less talented people known for playing the dumb-egotist, who are comparatively more attractive and shallow. Of course, Brooker is an Old-School PC zealot anyway, but it's an acute observation.

For my part, I'm disinclined to buy anything from the company that made the IPod, the only £200+ electrical device I've ever had to open with a can-opener to reseat a single loose connector.

Back