The number of new members in November

So I was looking at the statistics page and couldn't help but notice that this month there have been 4-5 times more new members than the site usually gets. Is this what chaos has been doing in his absence? Bribing people to join the site, possibly with "favours"? (I believe this is how he got Aion to sign up.)

Not that it's worked, as there have been fewer new threads and posts than at any time during the past year.

Uh, yeah, that's all. Feel free to ignore these pointless observations of a self-confessed stat nerd.

Yeah, i can explain that one. Bots. a ton of them. Heck, there has been 2 today already, and we're only half way through the day. So i'm dealing with them as i can. Though these two are weird. one post of each has the usual link, the other 3-4 have none. So If you just noticed them randomly, you'd think they where almost regular posts.

fabricatedlunatic said:
That's... a disappointingly boring reason. I really wanted to believe in my chaos theory ;_;

I aim to disappoint

Regardless of that. If any more chaos spawned bots appear, i shall just take em out. Provided my exams haven't taken me out beforehand.

Arbalest said:
Yeah, i can explain that one. Bots. a ton of them. Heck, there has been 2 today already, and we're only half way through the day. So i'm dealing with them as i can. Though these two are weird. one post of each has the usual link, the other 3-4 have none. So If you just noticed them randomly, you'd think they where almost regular posts.
Yeah, these were super weird, not just your usual "your post interested me" obvious ****, they actually looked somewhat bespoke. All bumping pretty old threads, though, which is not the most subtle way to go about things.

In a sort-of on topic way, it is a little disappointing to see how badly activity has dropped off the last three months. I guess there must be reasons across the board, but I do wonder what we could do to encourage more people to post more often.

Stuart-says-yes said:
ilmaestro said:
I do wonder what we could do to encourage more people to post more often.

WHat about a post count race? who ever has made the most posts by the end of a month wins...... a cookie.

How about no :p To be honest I don't think you can encourage people to post, especially good, well thought out posts. Speaking personally there's been a lot going on in Real Life that's prevented me from watching more stuff.

I was thinking something a little more elegant than that - posting for the sake of posting doesn't really solve the problem.

BlackWolf said:
To be honest I don't think you can encourage people to post, especially good, well thought out posts.
I don't agree, because it's certainly not something that "randomly" occurs in certain places imo, but I would agree that it's potentially very hard, certainly very hard to "manufacture". Something like a podcast, or editorial content of some kind, might help, as people can read reviews of shows anywhere.

There are a couple of UK based podcasts so I wonder if we could get one of them to name drop the site or Chaos could do an interview with one about running an anime and manga forum. We could also sponsor or put forward ideas for a panel at a convention.

I think a couple of topics/debates to do with the sort of news that gets posted on here would be cool, so "Anime on UKTV", "Pros/Cons of each UK Distro", and "Upcoming Anime Releases". The panel members could do a bit of back and forth about a topic, then open it up to the floor, and then move on to the next topic.

Stuart-says-yes said:
King Jimmeh said:
"Upcoming Anime Releases".

What, like instead of just listing this weeks releases, people discussed what was good and bad about each series that had a release that week, and suggested overall which were good buys and which were not.

Well, I don't think it would be limited to that week, but maybe the next 4-6 weeks worth, if there was time to do that many. Just show a list of what's coming out and when, and then the each panellist would say a little bit about the good releases they are looking forward to, and then those they think people could/should skip.

---
Stuart-says-yes said:
Advertising on other UK sites/forums of anime might be a good way of getting more members, thats how I discovered Anime Leauge (another UK forum that has worldwide members).

Also at the manga panel, every one mentioned UK anime but only one other person mentioned AUKN, even though its less active than here, it seems more people are aware of its UK anime's existence.

I think there is definitely work that could be done between here and AL, as while AL has an active UK community, they isn't actually much there in terms of news and discussions about DVDs, and everything. It's more about the brand new stuff in Japan, and then franchise discussions. Whereas here, there is a lot more talk about the Upcoming UK releases, DVD art, direct links to the public relations from the likes of Beez, Manga, etc. So, I think if you were to work with AL to put up a topic discussion in their Anime & Manga section each week about the UK releases, it could help improve their A&M section while getting AUKN's name out there as a source for news.

Plus, with AL, also comes the possibility of a panel at one of their events such as ALCon or London Anime Con.

But then again, there are some aspects of AL that are not popular in the UK Anime scene, so there is that to consider. Just a few ideas though :)

I have spent some time over on AL and even though it is supposed to be an anime and manga forum only about 5-10% of the users ever seem to go into the anime and manga section, most seem to stay in their clan areas or general sections. Which means in reality we probably produce more posts talking about anime and manga with our limited membership compared to their large in comparison multinational membership.

Well, obviously if new members are signing up to the site, they must be interested in Anime to an extent. I think the section just needs to improve and give more to talk about, especially in terms of news, and then they'll see more members get involved.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Also at the manga panel, every one mentioned UK anime but only one other person mentioned AUKN, even though its less active than here, it seems more people are aware of its UK anime's existence.
Could you expand on this a little, Stu? Which manga panel? And mentioned in what way?

Dracos said:
Which means in reality we probably produce more posts talking about anime and manga with our limited membership compared to their large in comparison multinational membership.
This would, of course, be the best solution. Now, if only we could find some more members who actually post about anime. ^^;

Hmm, that is certainly food for thought. Would I be right in thinking that UK Anime makes front-page news posts about non-UK anime related things?

Yeah, that figures. Also news about anime in general rather than being UK-centric? Do they have editorial content outside of reviews?

Private Stuart, General Maestro is finding your reconnaissance report severely lacking.

Here, take this web browser and obtain more information on the enemy.

Back