The number of new members in November

In that case, if you want to attract more visitors, is it worth expanding the sort of news that gets posted? I can understand not wanting to expand too much outside of UK news, as then you run the risk of just copying news from ANN.

Stuart-says-yes said:
That is all sir.
:lol:

You would have to say, objectively, that from reading that they are more "worthy" of a mention for which site's front page you would visit. Strange in that context that their forum is even less active than this one. I've mentioned it before, but it's a shame that the relatively small UK community has to be fragmented into more than one website, would be nice if there could be more interaction between the two communities (I know that some people here also post there, but more than that).

It sounds like they may have the same thing as many of the podcasts and their sites with forums. People use them as a favourite source for information if it is relevant and well set out but don't hang around to actually get involved in the community around it.

Someone could do with checking our tags for google as I just did some random anime forum / anime news searches and whilst we do show up at some point on the regular search we don't seem to show up when restricting to UK sties.

Or, we, because we're the more popular community/forum, that could be used to our advantage and the focus be put on the community over the news.

I'll give chaos a good kick on msn later on to get him to have a look through this topic, see if we can get him to deal with some ideas

As for more variety in news. I'm up for it. I like to report on more varied stuff, hence why i don't post too much news wise. As such, i'm more than willing to post up news related to light novels/manga, since they get somewhat overlooked here now.

Another bit i really should have brought up by now is that, the manga reviews never go up in the topics. Mayhaps we could have it so that they do.

And ilmae will eventually remind me that i was considering a podcast, but i need to finish this semester of uni before ANYTHING happens on that front. And if anyone asks, you never heard me speak of it.

On the podcast front, wouldn't it be easier to partner with an existing UK anime podcast? I know there are a couple, I've seen them on this site. If both sides are up for it, of course.

Jayme said:
On the podcast front, wouldn't it be easier to partner with an existing UK anime podcast? I know there are a couple, I've seen them on this site. If both sides are up for it, of course.

Possibly, i'm not entirely sure on what i want to cover yet though. I'll consider whatever though closer to the time. The time being about a week and a half away(after exams)

mangaman74 said:
How about finishing the character battles game?

Also I second more news on region 1 releases (and maybe get some reviews as well).

That's an idea as well. Again, at least on my half of it all. It was time contraints that stopped the games dead. I'll throw me list to Maxon or someone so that they can continue it methinks. Otherwise it will just be stalled FOR ALL TIME.

Jayme said:
Whilst I think that might work OK in the short term, I think having the site's own one would be a much better way of going about it anything past that. Wouldn't be impossible to put a group one together over Skype or something.

I'm starting to consider putting up news of new manga series and light novel series being released in english/finishing its publication in japan now, much like the Spicy Wolf piece i put up a few minutes ago. Just curious if that is the sort of news people would like to see up there now or if they'd ratheri focused more on other topics.

No idea why all the newbies make a thread in the intro section and then leave. I've been nothing if not welcoming and open-minded towards lesser individuals throughout my tenure on AUKN, and it's greatly displeasing to be ignored by people as I continue in my efforts to befriend them.

Without new blood, it gets boring; typing to myself. I do, in truth, derive some satisfaction out of reading my own posts, but that only takes me so far.

Tbh, I blame Roy and don't go along with the Chaos theory. Once, she typed. But like all bitches, she took what she wanted and then buggered off. They're all the same, bitches...

Manga and light novel information should totally be put up more often. I wouldn't complain about being more "in-the-know" about LN stuff. :p

Quite a lot of things touched on here.

Generally the news and editorials can only ever hope to provide a catalyst for discussion, unfortunately the UK has less material available than the US. This will, to some degree, limit the amount of discussion that can take place without re-hashing old topics. Perhaps some editorials with alternate takes on things or something similar to the ANN season preview guides?

There was an interesting point raised about UKAN having more news / link-sharing / podcasts / stuff in general yet not converting this to active forums. There may be lessons to be learnt from it, but it'd need a lot more analysis than I could offer.

Personally I joined because AUKN's got the more active forums. However, I feel limited in what I can contribute to discussions as I come from a position of being new to anime and not having a lot of time to watch it: essentially I think I'm still overwhelmed by the level of knowledge of anime on these forums and hence a bit reluctant to post.

Maxon said:
sic vita est said:
I think I'm still overwhelmed by the level of knowledge of anime on these forums and hence a bit reluctant to post.
You should be fine if you ignore Aion and Reaper.
The knowledge comes with time, really. As hokey as it is, just spending time on this forum allows you to gauge opinions about shows, studios, actors more than anywhere else (well, I imagine other forums). I'm hardly in the scene, properly, yet I still associate and know about the fandom because of the guys on here. It's surprisingly effective and you'll probably end up realising you know a lot more than the average anime-viewer in short amount of time. Case in point, I might not be able to go "OMG, that scene was amazing, blah blah blah" to friends, yet I can still have an interesting discussion about prominent parts of the anime world. Just knowing the industry (which we are obsessed with on here) puts you above a lot of people, knowledge-wise.

...Well, that went on longer than expected. :p

Maxon said:
sic vita est said:
I think I'm still overwhelmed by the level of knowledge of anime on these forums and hence a bit reluctant to post.
You should be fine if you ignore Aion and Reaper.

Are you praising my brain or insulting my e-penis, here? (If you're bitchin', you're just angry I never accepted your MAL friend request. I don't DO skirt-wearing Scots.)

...Either way, the forum would be a bit naff, without my dickism. It's devoid of personality as it is, without blanking someone as entertaining as myself.

Living in ignorance, like a blind man, is not the way to happiness.

Back