The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

So many good ones in those last 3 posts SAHO! I love fantasy world anime, whether Isekai or not. I'm up for:

Our Last Crusade S2
The Tale of Outcasts
Reborn to Master the Blade
Tower of God S2
I'm the Villainess so I'm Taming the Final Boss
The Reincarnation Of The Strongest Exorcist In Another World
Sugar Apple Fairy Tale (I could tell right away that this one was Kadokawa with Evan Call for the music!)
Rising of the Shield Hero 3

Thanks for the previews!

Reborn as a Vending Machine could be the sleeper hit of the season, the LN it's based on is pretty damn funny. It all depends on how well the anime adaption is done.

And that's why I wasn't interested in Vending Machine and left it off my list - I don't care for sillyness or full-on comedies at all. I need to have the majority of a series be drama or good romance. From watching the trailer, I'm the Villaness so I'm Taming the Final Boss is the one title in my list that looked like it may also have too much comedy for me, but I won't know for sure until I start it, so I left it in the list.

Kaina of the Great Snow Sea looks pretty interesting, will have to check that one out too. I actually love Polygon Picture's CG art style for Knights of Sidonia, Ajin, and Blame!, although with Kaina it looks like they toned down the dark shading a good bit and made it a little more colorful than those titles.

I'm not into Bungo, Jujutsu, or Mob so I'll be skipping those.

Last edited:
In an anime importer's perfect world, all anime releases worldwide would include English subtitles... But then, if that were the case, I'd already be flat broke and living out on the street, lol... 😅

House was a wild ride, so I've always been curious to see some of his other films. I see that some of his more recent ones are available too. £80 is a pricey blind buy for four movies though.

I'm surprised that it has taken so long for them to become available, considering the cult popularity of House. I hope that the set will be offered at a lower price between now and release date. I'll be surprised if it isn't. I absolutely adore His Motorbike, Her Island though; it's a romance that's utterly transcendent - a romance between two people but also the wind, adventure, a sense of wanting je ne sais quoi that's just beyond reach. One of the best films of the 1980s. Nothing like House though.

School in the Crosshairs, the oldest film in the set, is probably not-coincidentally. the most House-like.

I have the Anti-War Trilogy and they're an odd, complex trio of films but I think they're brilliant, perfect demonstration of how Obayashi was a singular director until the very end and one of the best image-makers in the history of the medium. They're very arch and artificial and downright weird in an entirely different way from House again. I wrote a longer review of Hanagatami on Letterboxd. They're all available to rent or buy digitally, so I wonder if Third Window will make this latest 80s batch available that way too.

EDIT: £58 at Terracotta

Last edited:
Back