The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Worth noting they also removed the 18+ titles, which also includes Nozomi's Blu-ray release of Interspecies Reviewers and Maiden Japan's Blu-ray release of Redo of Healer. All of these will be on another site which isn't live yet.

Aren't RightStuf releasing Macross 7, Macross Delta, and Macross Frontier ? With Crunchyroll and Harmony Gold handling Super Dimension Force Macross "licensing opportunities"? Dare I dream this gets us SDF Macross and DYRL?

I don't really get this acquisition, there's really no parallels between Crunchyroll and an online business that sells media and merchandise. Sure Crunchyroll has their own merch store, but it's not a focus and hardly anyone uses it. Besides apparently Crunchyroll's own merch store is remaining open as is and continuing to sell things, so what is the point?

The fact that they immediately swept all adult content off the site and claim to have a separate Ero store coming is also a bad sign, because that demonstrates that they aren't just acquiring the store but plan on changing the way it works entirely.

Welp, that's it - I'm not buying any more anime from Rightstuf, and only buying Hentai from the Ero store from now on. 😤 lol.

Thankfully I didn't purchase my one and only 18+ figure from Rightstuf, it's release date isn't until January...

I guess I won't be getting all those adult items emails 3 times a week from Rightstuf anymore either, haha.

Having a quick look through titles licensed by Nozomi and I notice a pattern...

El-Hazard: Magnificent World
El-Hazard: Alternative World
Emma: A Victorian Romance
The Irresponsible Captain Taylor
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Wonder where this leaves AL as it seems alot of their licences from the last 12 months were from Nozomi.
Probably reading too much into it but seems like Crunchy just plugged another licence hole in the market 😔

I don't really get this acquisition, there's really no parallels between Crunchyroll and an online business that sells media and merchandise. Sure Crunchyroll has their own merch store, but it's not a focus and hardly anyone uses it. Besides apparently Crunchyroll's own merch store is remaining open as is and continuing to sell things, so what is the point?

The fact that they immediately swept all adult content off the site and claim to have a separate Ero store coming is also a bad sign, because that demonstrates that they aren't just acquiring the store but plan on changing the way it works entirely.
This move lets them control the supply chain from one end to the other. Funchymation can promote their own releases harder on the storefront without having to pay for ads, they can favour their own products in sales discounts, and the retailer's cut of video sales now feeds back into the same quarterly statement as the publisher's (at least as far as Sony are concerned).

This move lets them control the supply chain from one end to the other. Funchymation can promote their own releases harder on the storefront without having to pay for ads, they can favour their own products in sales discounts, and the retailer's cut of video sales now feeds back into the same quarterly statement as the publisher's (at least as far as Sony are concerned).
Don't forget Rightstuf do wholesale as well to many other smaller stores.

One would hope that Sentai would react to this by finally beginning to ship internationally from their own store. I would've been buying Sentai BDs directly from their store long time ago if they would actually ship outside of the US.

Back