The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

So upon booting up the Index Movie disc, one of the first things you are presented with is this screen:

oA6NB0f.jpg

I hope this isn't the next step in nerfing overseas products. The Japanese BD features LPCM 5.1 & 2.0 audio.

Mangaranga said:
I hope this isn't the next step in nerfing overseas products. The Japanese BD features LPCM 5.1 & 2.0 audio.

I'm a bit lost on this message. So does that mean Funimation is getting weaker audio or something due to the Japanese restrictions?

NormanicGrav said:
Mangaranga said:

I'm a bit lost on this message. So does that mean Funimation is getting weaker audio or something due to the Japanese restrictions?

Pretty much, the license agreement they made stipulates they have to use whatever the licensor wants to provide them.

If a potential Japanese customer is already prepared to wait several months for a foreign release of the movie and import it due to being roughly half the price of what the Japanese release costs, will the decision to have a 2.0 audio track really affect their decision?

I don't think all that many Japanese homes even have 5.1 setups in the first place, so it seems a bit pointless. I wonder when this lottery of different random nerfs for each release will finally stop.

R

It's refreshingly honest though and totally puts the foot on the Japanese side of things's toes.

If every Home Video release had a log of sins that the US company could levy at the Japanese they'd maybe think twice before putting their finger on Jhony Funimation's ear and telling him to bugger up the video quality.

Or release it themselves at the standard Japanese price which point everyone doesn't pay a lick of attention and gets it off "A reputable streaming service" if even that.

Rui said:
I don't think all that many Japanese homes even have 5.1 setups in the first place, so it seems a bit pointless. I wonder when this lottery of different random nerfs for each release will finally stop.

R
When a US company tells them no, they release it for themselves and everyone stonewalls them (and makes it clear it was because of their crap)?

Discotek have announced a raft of new releases, most notably including Free, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Robot Carnival.

I know Bloodlust has been (was?) widely available over here for years, but it wouldn't surprise me if Discotek are going to try and get the Japanese audio for their release, which I think would be the first time that's been officially available alongside the dub.

Also Robot Carnival, blimey. Just take my money.

>Kyoani series
>DVD Only

Of all the companies for the series to be distributed by, to it's the generally sub only DVD company. I've heard a lot of good things about Discotek in regards to licensing older titles and giving them remastered/subtitled DVD releases, but a lot of those titles are new.
Sub only DVD releases for recent titles is not going to cut it at all in twenty flippin' fifteen - especially for a title that's actually animated close to 1080p. The way the licensing of Free has been handled in America is a complete mess.
The other annoying thing is - like Rui said in another thread - there's not much point in buying Funimation's release of Season 2 when there isn't a decent release of Season 1.

Mangaranga said:
>Kyoani series
>DVD Only

Of all the companies for the series to be distributed by, to it's the generally sub only DVD company. I've heard a lot of good things about Discotek in regards to licensing older titles and giving them remastered/subtitled DVD releases, but a lot of those titles are new.
Sub only DVD releases for recent titles is not going to cut it at all in twenty flippin' fifteen - especially for a title that's actually animated close to 1080p. The way the licensing of Free has been handled in America is a complete mess.
The other annoying thing is - like Rui said in another thread - there's not much point in buying Funimation's release of Season 2 when there isn't a decent release of Season 1.

Blame KyoAni and Crunchyroll for that as Free is a sub licence. Crunchyroll probably gave it to Discotek just to spite Funi.

Mangaranga said:
So upon booting up the Index Movie disc, one of the first things you are presented with is this screen:

oA6NB0f.jpg

Well, Funimation just committed suicide. This might be the kind of thing you want to say, but is it really worth pissing off your business partners?

--

In the last few days I just spotted that Discotek had licenced Arpeggio of Blue Steel and was wondering what I could expect from them, subs fine but I can't buy a recent series if they aren't going to do a Blu-Ray for it. :(

Rosencrantz said:
Mangaranga said:

oA6NB0f.jpg

Well, Funimation just committed suicide. This might be the kind of thing you want to say, but is it really worth pissing off your business partners?
Same could be said of the Japanese on this one.

Any idea what Manga's big announcement might be? I am hoping it is the new DBZ movie, with Sabat recently being censored in a big interview, I want to believe lol

Manga announced they're going to be making a big announcement? That in itself is a big announcement.
In all seriousness I highly doubt it's going to be anything worthwhile in the slightest. This is Manga we're talking about.

ConanThe3rd said:
Rosencrantz said:
Mangaranga said:

Same could be said of the Japanese on this one.

They don't need our business, that's why we get treated poorly. If the international market was more profitable they'd be more reasonable with the extras/options.

Plus from the discussion on Free over on Anime News Network Funimation aren't as great a company as I'd thought. Trying to put out a couple of cheap Kadokawa releases in the same month that Japan solicits the same titles is never going to be a good move and shows no respect for your business partners.

While I don't think that the message on the BD is worded badly enough to cause any problems with Japan, I agree that FUNimation seem to be throwing their weight around. Announcing the Free! offer to the world was a deliberate attempt to manipulate Crunchyroll to do things their way, and if they really wanted to be open and honest with Index they'd have mentioned the removal of the high quality audio option with the solicitation to allow customers to make their purchasing decisions fairly. This just comes off as them making excuses and pinning the blame elsewhere.

The petty rivalries between the companies are not helping fans in the slightest.

R

Back