The New Season

Andy

Student Council President
With the new anime season now well and truly underway, it's time to ask what fansubbed series you're keeping track of, what to see and what to avoid. I'll start;

Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Mecha/Comedy
My highlight of the season so far, Gurren Lagann is madcap mecha action brought to you by the people responsible for FLCL. With its toungue firmly planted inside its cheek, Gurren Lagann is all about entertainment, and has a great cast, some brilliant comedy, and a refreshing visual style. Watch this.

Kotetsushin Jeeg - Mecha/Comedy
Sequel to 70's super robot show Kotetsu Jeeg, this has everything a super robot show needs; a hotblooded pilot, a combining robot, shouting out of attack names and a great sense of humour - it's been a while since I've seen a series this much fun to watch. Subbed versions are a bit harder to find than usual, but it's very much worth it.

Reideen - Mecha/Drama
Taking itself seriously comes another sequel/remake of a super robot show, Reideen has very nice visuals handled by Production IG. At the moment though, that's all it has going for it; it's slow, uninteresting and predictable. It clearly wants to be the next Evangelion, but at the moment it's nothing special. One for the patient.

Seirei no Moribito - Drama/Historical
When the emperor of feudal Japan wants his son dead, the empress entrusts his life to a female bodyguard for hire, named Balsa. As she and the young prince flee across the country, they are . This has a great, epic feel to it, with visuals by Production IG and gorgeous music by Kenji Kawai (Ghost in the Shell movies). If it's a good, dramatic period piece you're after, you could do worse.

Romeo x Juliet - Romance/Drama
The folks responsible for Gankutsuou are back with another anime adaptation of classic literature, and this fantastical take on the original love story has a lot to live up to. From what I've seen, there are a number of liberties taken, and I have my reservations about making an entire series out of it, but it's interesting enough to keep watching. I'm looking forward to the direction this takes.

Lucky Star - Comedy/Slice of Life
It's like Azumanga Daioh, but with less memorable characters. It's not quite as funny or as charming, and often comes across as mindless fluff, but still manages to raise a smile now and then. But it does have one of the most infectious OP themes I've ever seen. There's potential here, but it's an acquired taste.

Moonlight Mile - Drama/Sci-fi
Probably this seasons sleeper, Moonlight Mile feels like a more serious and mature Planetes. It's not for the action fans though; the pacing is deliberate at the best and a dull trudge at the worst. But I'm liking the setting of a near-future Earth begining its expansion into space, and the characters are certainly interesting (Gorou is likeable as the uncouth contrustion worker wishing to become an astronaut). Plus it's got the pillows doing the end song - always a bonus.

Personally, I'm loving the number and variety of mecha shows this season (and there's a few more I haven't mentioned here) but I'm also liking the variety of the rest of the shows on offer. So, what have you been watching - and is it any good?

Andy said:
Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Mecha/Comedy
My highlight of the season so far, Gurren Lagann is madcap mecha action brought to you by the people responsible for FLCL. With its toungue firmly planted inside its cheek, Gurren Lagann is all about entertainment, and has a great cast, some brilliant comedy, and a refreshing visual style. Watch this.
This is one hell of a fun show - I'll be watching ep #3 later tonight, which supposed to be the best yet. After that...I'm not sure how it'll pan out.

My own schedule seems to be a little too full but you've sold me on Moonlight Mile - I'll check it out next week. My current series are:

Darker than Black
Tensai Okamura directs, Yoko Kanno does the music and Bones animate it. I've raved enough about that lately so I'll jut say watchit and watch it soon.

Bokurano
A mecha show with a difference, this is a dark and brooding angst-fest in which fifteen kids are selected to take turns in piloting a giant robot to save the Earth. It's animated by Gonzo but the visuals are pretty consistent. The op and end themes are superb.

Lovely Complex
A romcom featuring a tall girl and a short guy. Those who have seen similar shows will know what to expect but I'm finding it to be a refreshing change. Funny too.

Loving Lovely Complex at the moment its brilliant

Murder Princess - In the 4th of Month of Jade, Cyndina Era 672, a coup d’etat broke out in Foreland. To escape the assault, Princess Arita fled the castle. She ran screaming into the forest as her guards were killed by unknown assailants. When she exited the forest, she came upon a woman drawing her sword.

The woman, Pharis, was the strongest bounty hunter in history. It is rumored that she killed a dragon and is accompanied by Death. As Arita tried to ask Pharis for help, she bumped into her. This caused the land beneath them to give way and send them crashing off a cliff. While they were falling, a light swallowed them. They landed on the ground, but their souls had been exchanged. Pharis, now in Arita's body, asked that she be allowed to protect the country as princess and Arita agreed. Now, the strongest and most cruel princess in history is born: Murder Princess.

Seto no Hanayome - One summer event would bring junior high school student Michishio Nagasumi's peaceful life crashing down.

While visiting his hometown, he almost drowns but Seto San, a mermaid, saves his life. However, her family is part of a merfolk mafia, and they abide by a strict rule: If a mermaid is discovered by a man, either he dies, or the mermaid dies. The only exception is if the man becomes a member of the family. When Nagasumi is threatened to either die or join the family, he comes to the conclusion that he must marry San.

Claymore - It is the world where the man-eating demon hangs out. To fight against the demon, the human beings create female soldiers that are half demons and half human. They have silver eyes and large swords. They are named Claymore after their swords.
When Claire was a child, she met Theresa, the strongest Claymore. To save Claire, Theresa broke their iron rule to kill a human. Because of breaking the rules, she was wanted by punitive group. Pricilla, a member of the punitive group, couldn't control the power of the magical sword, and turned into an "Awakened". Then, Theresa was beaten by the large power of Pricilla. To avenge Theresa, Claire decided to inherit Theresa’s flesh to become Claymore.

Seirei no Moribito is one i'm really enjoying at the moment. I like the animation and the music from this and its one thats got me interested.

Although i have only seen one episode of Bokurano, i can say it is one that will keep me watching for a while.
Claymore also is one i am liking, i may try to find the manga for it as well, as from what i know its still ongoing.

I've heard bits and pieces of Darker than Black but i've not really thought about starting it. I may wait until a couple more episodes are out before i check it out.

Claymore and Darker Than Black are in my backlog, after I get Death Note caught up.

Darker Than Black will be a good anime, just because its BONES :p.

Claymore I think will be just the average demon (Hellsingish) anime.

Bokurano: So far it's pretty good, shaping up well with the manga, the animation isn't the best ever, but it goes where it can, I expected much more action packed mecha battles with the likes of EVA, but I guess it's what you get for full 3D mecha models.

Claymore: Monthly Jump series which is set in medieval times and has the usual Shounen formula only darker? Yes please. Although my interest is dwindiling in it with the crap it pulled off last episode, "Live Clare! Live!" the boy is the monsters emotions, giving her a second chance as it were... god damn clichés. It's fairly good, I'll give it another chance, it may fully redeem itself it seems.

Darker than Black: Nothing that I expected at all, not being dragged out, but not being rushed either, it started quite slow, which didn't seem normal for the hyped up trailer, eh, it's watchable if you love Yoko Kanno OST/Bones animation.

Sola: So far this show has been nothing more than the generic harem match up series with some sort of past with the female lead being a creature of darkness or something or other and the male lead is obviously drawn to her and wishes to help her/save her. Though the series' best point so far is when it seems the care-free villian goes under a bridge and finds a loli-in-the-box. Great.

Andy said:
Moonlight Mile - Drama/Sci-fi
Probably this seasons sleeper, Moonlight Mile feels like a more serious and mature Planetes. It's not for the action fans though; the pacing is deliberate at the best and a dull trudge at the worst. But I'm liking the setting of a near-future Earth begining its expansion into space, and the characters are certainly interesting (Gorou is likeable as the uncouth contrustion worker wishing to become an astronaut). Plus it's got the pillows doing the end song - always a bonus.
The thing that bugs the hell out of me is the openning animation, which gives the impression of a quite different show than the one we are currently watching. Have heard rumours it is going to get cancelled.
El Cazador- Standard odd couple girls on the run, which even odder people chasing. Nothing to make it shine yet.
Heroic Age - ... Kinda mecha, kinda scifi. Five spacefaring 'tribes' with humans at the bottom of the heap. The Gold tribe (the most advanced) give humans a protector in the form of Age who can transform into Bellcross, the most powerful of the Heroic tribe (who nearly wiped out everybody else). Problem is Age has been living on his own for the last 15 odd years and has the manners of a chimp on 15 cans of Red Bull. Currently suffering from an absurdly overpowered protagoist, and quite shocking exposition.
Kiss Dum -Mecha Scifi (popular this season), Not quite sure what's going on as it's only two episodes in, confusing and dark (it takes place mainly at night), but there are giant mutant monsters, bugs... lots of them, secret orgainistions with transforming vehicles that have ejection pods that turn into mecha, and pre human civiliaztions of enormous power.
Nagasarete Airantou- this seasons harem offering. After being swept overboard Ikuto washes up on an island populated entirely by women. Sure l don't need to spell out what happens next. Enjoyimng id due to complete lack of Tsundere characters.
Wellber no Monogatari- not quite standard odd couple girls on the run, but still familiar. Take one princess who stabs fiancee before wedding (apparently, twist coming me thinks), theif who watches on the run trying to stop a war before it starts. Only one epsisode in and can see many twists ahead. Little contrived in places and huh? in places, but could be good.

Blue Dragon - based on the xbox 360 game, very bright vibrant, kinda reminds me of the anime style used for the .hack series

Ryo Chan said:
no ones mentioned idol m@ster?

surely the series isn't that bad

I've not seen idolmaster but the reviews and reaction indicate that the series is terrible

As for the other shows of the season. I've skipped quite a few of the better shows like Serei no Morobito and Darker than Black, but I do plan on watching then at a later data, probably once they're licensed.

Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann Mecha comedy from the guys behind FLCL and the director of Dead Leaves. Much like FLCL this show is funny, refreshingly different and not to be taken seriously. It's also very good.

Reideen An otherwise mediocre mecha show, let down by poor direction and painfully slow action sequences that try to be realistic but end up being as interesting as watching paint dry.

Moonlight Mile A slow building serious, realistic, sci-fi drama show, with the most misleading opening sequence ever. It tries to be a more serious Planetes with older characters, but it is nowhere near as good. One for fans of the genre only.

Bokurano Dark, angsty mecha drama based upon by the creator of Narutaru. Very good though.

Terra E Probably my favorite show of the season so far. Based off a sci-fi manga from the 70s, the visuals are in the classic shojo style, but the plot about a boy from a heavily controlled society and a bunch of outcast psychics known as the 'mu' is very good.

Romeo X Julliet Forget that it's an adaptation of the Shakespeare play, whilst it maintains the tudor visual style, the plot is very different whilst still maintaining the central romance. Highly recommended if you can live with the many liberties Gonzo have taken.

Heroic Age Even with its strong Starcraft influences, this mecha show is as much fantasy as Sci-Fi. Ultimately though, a stupidly overpowered protaganist and mediocre storytelling means this series no where near as good as it ought to be.

Kiss Dum Another mecha sci-fi show. Beset by serious production problems caused by the director quiting late into production without telling anyone what the plot was and it shows. The animation, the voice acting and the action are all brilliant, but the plot is a confusing mess. It has potential to turn into a good show, if the script writers and the production staff can sort out the plot.

Gigantic Formula Basically a more serious version of G Gundam, there are hints that the series could turn into something more. Good, but not great.

Kaze no Stigma Whilst not particularly original, this action-romance is well executed and features likeable characters.

Hayate no Gotoku Based off the manga released by Viz in the US, this comedy about a young boy forced to become a butler (or combat-butler) to a young girl is full of anime and manga references. Very entertaining and very funny, well worth checking out.

For me the best show of the season is undoubtedly Seirei no Moribito. The animation is simply theatrical, the soundtrack is by Kenji Kawai (i.e. GITS, Innocence) - who is actually outdoing Yoko Kanno with this - and the action is breathtaking. I'm getting a potential classic vibe from this one, it's that good.

I really wanted to check out - Kono Aozora Ni Yakusoku Wo: Melody of the Sun and Sea but i cant find it from my usual sources.

I'm also in the process of getting Hitohira but only one episode has been done so far. Nagasarete Airantou looks decent.

If i was being honest i've not watched anything from the new season yet, i'm waiting till they are all finished being subbed and then i'll watch them all in one go.

I hear that Nyu, that's pretty much what I do, collect up a load of shows and work my way through them when they are done

I'm currently watching Heroic Age and Seirei no Moribito - they are pretty interesting and I'm rooting for this....

I've seen Lucky Star, Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Reideen, Hayate no Gotoku but they don't have that impact that I'm looking for....

Hmm, I think I'll do some research on some of those mecha shows as I do find myself with a lack of choice. The last mecha series I watched must have been Full Metal Alchemist and that's getting old now, I wish they'd just release the freaking Second Raid already...

Nyu said:
I really wanted to check out - Kono Aozora Ni Yakusoku Wo: Melody of the Sun and Sea but i cant find it from my usual sources.

Son of a bitch, i managed to find the first 4 episodes on torrent but they weren't subbed. GOD DAMNIT. i watched a few scenes from the first episodes and it actually looks quite good, has a nice soundtrack and looks nice but alas i'm not fluent in Japanese so i don't have a clue what they are saying.

Back