The Metal Thread

I'm a little bit of a Tarja fanboy, I'll admit that. My Winter Storm is utterly amazing. I guess I just like the contrast between the metal and the opera styles.
I guess that's why I like Epica. Simone is superb as well.

Zelgadis said:
chaos said:
I'm currently getting myself addicted to Nightwish
What do you think of Anna compared to Tarja? A lot of hardcore Nightwish fans seem to get fanboyish towards Tarja and call the new music with Anna crap. As someone who got into them after Anna joined, but heard Tarja's stuff first, I can safely say I much prefer Anna. Her voice isn't overpowering. Sometimes Tarja's voice would just drown out the music.
In honesty, it almost feel like different bands. There's a fair amount of songs I like with both singers, and I think the style changed a bit overall.

Rui said:
Poking my nose in here, I always thought I liked Nightwish for the music, and the banshee-like singer was just a bonus. After Tarja left though, I feel that their music has been fairly standard for the genre; still good, and the new singer is by no means talentless, but their songs are no longer spectacular. I was given Tarja's solo CDs as a gift since and loved them instantly from the first notes of My Winter Storm.

My husband said his favourite release lately was the instrumental bonus CD with Dark Passion Play. I guess he really was into them for the music rather than the singing the whole time :)
The instrumental CD is awesome. I think that Tarja created a style of her own, while Anna was initially trying to fill her gap. Also, the band is learning to play with a different singer - different key / pitch / voice range / etc

Rui said:
Zelgadis said:
What do you think of Anna compared to Tarja? A lot of hardcore Nightwish fans seem to get fanboyish towards Tarja and call the new music with Anna crap. As someone who got into them after Anna joined, but heard Tarja's stuff first, I can safely say I much prefer Anna. Her voice isn't overpowering. Sometimes Tarja's voice would just drown out the music.

Poking my nose in here, I always thought I liked Nightwish for the music, and the banshee-like singer was just a bonus. After Tarja left though, I feel that their music has been fairly standard for the genre; still good, and the new singer is by no means talentless, but their songs are no longer spectacular. I was given Tarja's solo CDs as a gift since and loved them instantly from the first notes of My Winter Storm.

I also saw Tarja live in London last year and she was amazing, playing her own compositions as well as singing. I'll keep giving "new" Nightwish a chance when their albums roll around, but they'll have to build up a reputation with me from scratch again now.

My husband said his favourite release lately was the instrumental bonus CD with Dark Passion Play. I guess he really was into them for the music rather than the singing the whole time :)

Usually good singers are carried by their bands but in Tarja's case I think what I had loved about old Nightwish was all her.

R
I saw Nightwish live soon after Anna joined. Anna does the old stuff well, I assure you. Tarja was never my cup of tea.

Back