The *Im looking for* thread.

Replying to my post few weeks ago or something forget now. I went ahead and got gundam zeta part 1 FR edition. So ya of course the text on the blu ray case is all in fr and the disks fr print. But when in blu ray all the menus fully english also they are FR subs but also they is English subs that not locked. So good news if any fans want to buy it as well.

Lg is a pretty sound make.
With a 5 year warranty for that price I'd say go for it.

South Korea makes are some of the best on the market.
Yeah we have what I think is a slightly older iteration downstairs and it’s very solid. I was mainly curious to see if anybody had a brand recommendation that wasn’t LG. Reading all the reviews for various models can sometimes be less helpful than you’d think.

Well lg and Samsung factories are opposite each other so in terms of materials and quality there on par. Yet Samsung is usually pricey.
Spec wise there's not that much difference.
I know someone that use to work for a company and all he did was open up other brands saw how they worked and passed it on to the technicians. For instance they found a small part in a high end coffee machine that fitters the coffee better. Now all there machines have it, but there machine are far cheaper.

Sony is the make to have for gaming.

Well lg and Samsung factories are opposite each other so in terms of materials and quality there on par. Yet Samsung is usually pricey.
Spec wise there's not that much difference.
I know someone that use to work for a company and all he did was open up other brands saw how they worked and passed it on to the technicians. For instance they found a small part in a high end coffee machine that fitters the coffee better. Now all there machines have it, but there machine are far cheaper.

Sony is the make to have for gaming.
I know from researching one of my old pairs of headphones that China loves to do this, and quicker too.
They'll make something for Apple, Samsung etc and have a lot of the materials left over on the factory floor, they'll basically call themselves another company then start putting together something from what they have left and come up with a cheaper version of brand items to make more money

Having just upgraded my TV I have spent a lot of time reading reviews and forums and coming out just as lost as I went in :p

One thing I did learn was a lot of LG TVs have IPS screens, this is great if you need wide viewing angles but it means taking a knock on contrast and blacks (which in turn means it will look worse in a dark room) so if you're gonna be looking at your TV head on you probably wanna avoid IPS (I say avoid, there's no problems with IPS and I'm sure you'll be happy, just pointing out one of the many things I learned lol).

Having just upgraded my TV I have spent a lot of time reading reviews and forums and coming out just as lost as I went in :p

One thing I did learn was a lot of LG TVs have IPS screens, this is great if you need wide viewing angles but it means taking a knock on contrast and blacks (which in turn means it will look worse in a dark room) so if you're gonna be looking at your TV head on you probably wanna avoid IPS (I say avoid, there's no problems with IPS and I'm sure you'll be happy, just pointing out one of the many things I learned lol).
I look at my TV from an angle like such:
image.jpg
My room does tend to be a bit dim but I usually watch programming with my lamp on so the ISP thing is something to bear in mind:

What television did you end up with out of curiosity?

I ended up with a Samsung NU8000. I really wanted a Sony XF9005 as it is considered the lowest priced TV that will do proper HDR (due to having Full Array Backlighting), but at £1200 for the 55inch at the time I just wasn't willing to spend that on a TV so settled for the Samsung which is considered the lowest priced that'll do "acceptable" HDR (whatever that means) and it's considered a good TV for gaming too.

Honestly I learned a lot from my short time on those forums, like I'd never have considered a Hisense TV before that but turns out they're actually not bad. I also learned that the same model of TV at different sizes aren't always the same so be careful when reading reviews, for example my TV is 55inch and has a 120hz panel, the 49inch version of the same tv has a 60hz panel so doesn't handle stuff like sport as well, it's a minefield tbh.

Last edited:
Sounds like I’m going to need to do some further research. I probably won’t be getting the new TV until like April-May unless I spot a particularly impressive bargain.

Honestly, I can easily live with the black levels on an IPS when it means no viewing angle issues whatsoever. Any non-IPS screen bigger than about ten inches produces that weird negative effect on some part of the screen for me even if I'm looking at it straight on - Don't know if I've just had bad displays or have weird eyes or what, but I'd rather all of the black looked ever so slightly grey than the corners or one edge looking white. After switching to IPS screens I doubt I'll ever be going back - If I use something else it will be a projector.

Yeah we have what I think is a slightly older iteration downstairs and it’s very solid. I was mainly curious to see if anybody had a brand recommendation that wasn’t LG. Reading all the reviews for various models can sometimes be less helpful than you’d think.

My personal brand of choice for TV is Samsung as they are investing in Quantum Dot technology (aka QLED). The advantage of this over their main rival OLED (seen on phones and tablets, not tv's for reasons too complicated for this post) is they have a higher accuracy in the colour spectrum which also results in a clearer picture, and unlike OLED can be used for TV's and monitors. The drawback to this is that currently this technology is still new and expensive so to compromise it is currently using standard IPS tech to compensate in powering the panels which result in the black levels being a bit brighter than competitors.

Not all Samsung TV's use QLED of course, only their high end TV's make use of it however even the cheaper commercial TV's still benefit from the screen technology in the sense that they have Samsungs great quality panels.

I'm no expert though, but personally I don't think you could go wrong with a Samsung or an LG

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t have a massive budget so OLED and QLED TVs are sadly out of my reach. £500-£600 is as far as I can go tbh.

Even at that price range Samsung is a great make. Sony imo are usually a bit too expensive for what they offer but still pretty solid. I hope it works out for you.

Plan to buy the Garo Crimson Moon sets over the next couple of weeks. If anyone has them and is interested in selling them let me know? Otherwise I'll just go get them at UP1 or something.

Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of Sailor Moon R on Blu Ray? I’m looking for the Madman collector’s set. It seems to be OOS everywhere.

Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of Sailor Moon R on Blu Ray? I’m looking for the Madman collector’s set. It seems to be OOS everywhere.
Sailor Moon R Season 2 Blu-ray Region B New! | eBay

Got Toradora from them, undervalued it at AU$20 on the customs form too. Their shipping was very quick too for the distance travelled.

Yeah, just get it from UP1. Its a bit cheaper and won't have any customs issues.

Thanks that’s pretty handy.

Sailor Moon R Season 2 Blu-ray Region B New! | eBay

Got Toradora from them, undervalued it at AU$20 on the customs form too. Their shipping was very quick too for the distance travelled.
I saw that listing actually. The problem is that based on the image it appears to be some sort of repackaging that doesn’t come in a collector’s box and therefore wouldn’t match my other sets.

I’ve emailed Madman about the issue so I’ll see if they respond, otherwise the UP1 listing is my best bet.

Hell Girl S1 Vols 3-6 (or a reasonable priced S1 complete set (i know about the one on ebay)
Hell Girl Two Mirrors Collection 2
Hell Girl S3 (either complete, or the two collection parts)

Back