The Gundam Thread

Gundamburger? Is that a really specific reference I'm not getting or did they just throw in any product they could slap a logo onto?

Nice selection of models though.
Hamburgers are a go to American stereotype in Japan. So they probably just hired a company that does corporate gift printings, saw the hamburger in the stress toy listings and went "Aha!'

Would love if we could an event like this over here. I know a few years back Bandai Namco sent their UK staff to a New Year's party adjacent to the 1/1 Unicorn but we haven't seen anything fan targeted here like the US continuously gets. Admittedly word from those in the know in Japan is that Brexit flatlined Bandai's interest in pushing Gundam here.

Hamburgers are a go to American stereotype in Japan
Let's be honest. McDonalds the the stereotype American food the world over, even though we all know they don't actually eat McDonalds as much as the jokes go. And I'm 95% sure their happy meals don't come with free guns either :p

Admittedly word from those in the know in Japan is that Brexit flatlined Bandai's interest in pushing Gundam here.
Sorry but I really find that one hard to believe. Pressing X to doubt.

Let's be honest. McDonalds the the stereotype American food the world over, even though we all know they don't actually eat McDonalds as much as the jokes go. And I'm 95% sure their happy meals don't come with free guns either :p

Sorry but I really find that one hard to believe. Pressing X to doubt.
It's what I've heard from trustworthy folks based in Japan. Of note, Bandai subcontracts their collector releases in Europe through a company based in Italy (Cosmic Group IIRC. If you buy a Bandai release from Gundam Mad or Forbidden Planet you'll almost certainly see their import stickers on the box.) Leaving the customs union damaged plans in that regard.

Hamburgers are a go to American stereotype in Japan. So they probably just hired a company that does corporate gift printings, saw the hamburger in the stress toy listings and went "Aha!'

Speaking as a member of the autistic community, I'm glad we could provide some inspiration for this :p (Yes I know that stress toys and fidget toys are not the exact same but I am gonna make this joke anyway! XP )

I have not watched masses of Gundam but I really enjoyed the 1981-1982 Movie Trilogy based on the original 0079 series, the Origin OVAs (so I agree with others that they are an excellent entry point, they are very well dubbed in English as well) and 0080: War in the Pocket, I also really liked the first season of Gundam 00 but not seen the second yet (mostly just added this bit to agree with others about Origin which I watched fairly recently) :)

"You're lost."
"I'm not lost."
"You're lost. That's the third time we've passed Luna II."
"It's an intentional sweep!"
"Stop and ask for directions."
"Where? Luna II? That'll go over great!" 20220826_015242.jpg

Ok, so having got some sleep-

The booth was pretty much what I expected. Cabinets of merch, a space for the classes (12 people per hour) and human sized statues of the RX-78-2 and Char's Zaku.

The outside walls of the classroom had various Gunpla displays. This included Witch From Mercury (released and upcoming), a history of the grades and even some future kits like MGSD Freedom. Near all of these were not for sale and similarly the cases in the shop showed stuff like Gundam Converge and Infinity without actually having stock.

The focus was very much on Gunpla, with a few MGs, SDs and RGs. They also had Dragon Ball kits but these weren't being advertised openly.

The classroom sessions gave you a simplified RX-78-2 and tasked you with making it. No tools given as the kit is designed as one of Bandai's No need for nippers but it felt kinda wrong just ripping parts off. You get to keep the kit and there are staff on hand if help was needed. Most in my group were patiently taking their time.

All in all I think this was good. This is the third time they've really tried to push Gundam in the UK. The first time it didn't catch on, second time they made poor choices/it got derailed by Brexit but this time felt like they had a plan and pride. It was a soft intro but then few Brits are as immersed in the franchise to the degree someone like me is. This was trying to be an intro to hook new people whilst not just burying it between Power Rangers and DBZ as they've done in the past.

Of note, they told me they're already planning to do another Gundam event at May MCM.

My report.

Sorry for some of the poorer photos. Out of practice post lockdown and even with a press pass MCM attendees will still shove you aside when trying to get good shots.

Back