The General Conversation Area

I've chosen a TV with exactly that (although there will probably be a newer model out by time I'm ready to buy). So I'll need to look at a reciever as well then, also this would be a build entirely from scratch as I don't have any speakers either so no cost saving sadly. Hmm perhaps just getting a soundbar is the right choice. Thanks for the reply :)
this is a lot like my avr but a much newer model.

i hope that isn't the Arrow release of dawn of the dead, those go for quite a lot and someone is probably going to snatch all these from the charity shop for a couple quid and take them straight to CEX
Yes it is but I don't trust cex due to the crap they pull with their prices when they buy off people and the reason I got rid of those sets is because I've got some 4K boxsets that I pre ordered of those so don't need them anymore like dawn of the dead and total recall plus the £399 mcu boxset.

Last edited:
if you have facebook try looking at the local selling groups, i always see people trying to flog dvd surround sound systems for £50-60 that generally have 4 small speakers and a center speaker, should be fine as long as it's standard speaker wire and not those proprietary plugs that some had as i'm not 100% on those
this is a lot like my avr but a much newer model.

Thanks both. In general is there anything I should look for to determine quality speakers and reciever? or is such a thing not that big of a concern? Just googling "good reciever" just got me a £900 box lol

Thanks both. In general is there anything I should look for to determine quality speakers and reciever? or is such a thing not that big of a concern?
It depends the size of your room and you get some good book shelf sepakers if you can't have floor standing speakers and try going in to a richer sounds store if you want the best advice from people who know there stuff.

Last edited:
It depends the size of your room and you get some good book shelf sepakers if you can't have floor standing speakers and try going pop in to a richer sounds store if you want the best advice from people who know there stuff.

Thanks, hopefully lockdown will be over when I'm ready then (you never know). Probably a good idea to get the TV first and foremost anyway :)

I decided to do a petition on the consignment of goods and the unjust handling fee. Also scrapping VAT on postage.
Need 5 people to sign it.
I know of a lot of guys/girls on here that just disgruntled over the handling fees.
I also talked about how it's impossible to get the handling fees back when there is an error.

Disney have plans to only release back catalogue titles on a case by case basis on disc so many of those films many only be available though streaming so it could mean no true lies or aliens on 4K uhd discs.

Disney have plans to only release back catalogue titles on a case by case basis on disc so many of those films many only be available though streaming so it could mean no true lies or aliens on 4K uhd discs.

Disney have been doing this since forever, google the Disney Vault for full explanation.

Just a bit of a rant on Crunchyroll Subs, Linking to my twitter as I use mild profanity. I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are
I'm someone who prefers more accurate translations over localisation changes to suit
I'm totally with the both of you on this one, for what it's worth.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, however, if the Japanese word nanka was present in the original dialogue, I'd understand how the word "crap" found itself used, because nanka has a tone of looking down on something.

I wouldn't know what the line in Japanese is, though. What show is it in that screen grab?

Just a bit of a rant on Crunchyroll Subs, Linking to my twitter as I use mild profanity. I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are

This kind of an interesting thing. It's hard for me to care for changes by localisation for subs or dubs most of the time and this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Whoever the, underpaid, translators that are working on it have certainly have taken (a form of) liberties with parts of it. See this tweet by Kayli Mills (English VA who seems to be watching the show for.... whatever reason)

So this is inherently different from the original but it also seems fine to me and seems to add to the show (though, I haven't seen the show). I guess i'm also wary of 'controversies' around translation/adaptation or localisations in the anime community given a sizeable (but unsure how many there are) group of people who make complaints (IMO) for dumb, ridiculous or pretty unfortunate reasons (especially the folks who complain about 'politics' being injected into anime dubs or subs 99.9% of the time).

So I guess in all it doesn't seem a problem so long as it conveys a general tone or feeling of the scene. But sometimes its also easy to clown on a show for having something that seems out of place in a japanese show like didn't Rent-A-Girlfriend have a GOAT reference in the sub? Out of context that seems odd but maybe a combo of context, western cultural understanding(?) and the maximum sub limit for sentences alleviate that (I haven't seen the show).

So this is inherently different from the original but it also seems fine to me and seems to add to the show (though, I haven't seen the show). I guess i'm also wary of 'controversies' around translation/adaptation or localisations in the anime community given a sizeable (but unsure how many there are) group of people who make complaints (IMO) for dumb, ridiculous or pretty unfortunate reasons (especially the folks who complain about 'politics' being injected into anime dubs or subs 99.9% of the time).
I feel like this is probably worthy of being a thread in the "on topic" section of the forum given that it actually pertains to anime, but my two penn'orth is that subs should absolutely be accurate. Certainly things shouldn't be added in that aren't there, and I think it's that which annoys people. It would annoy me if I had written something and a translator then changed the meaning of it, whether it was something non-political made political or vice-versa.

Dubs though, I'm willing to give more leeway since certain things may sound a bit odd in spoken English. Given that I'm primarily a sub watcher I'm all for ridiculously over the top dubs (think early Manga) just for added entertainment value, but I suppose really, dub watchers deserve accurate translations too.

I feel like this is probably worthy of being a thread in the "on topic" section of the forum given that it actually pertains to anime, but my two penn'orth is that subs should absolutely be accurate. Certainly things shouldn't be added in that aren't there, and I think it's that which annoys people. It would annoy me if I had written something and a translator then changed the meaning of it, whether it was something non-political made political or vice-versa.

Dubs though, I'm willing to give more leeway since certain things may sound a bit odd in spoken English. Given that I'm primarily a sub watcher I'm all for ridiculously over the top dubs (think early Manga) just for added entertainment value, but I suppose really, dub watchers deserve accurate translations too.
sure, not needing it to be made a seperate topic as thats just my opinion and I don't need a discussion about but sure. I don't quite agree here with either case but thats fine. Each to their own.

This kind of an interesting thing. It's hard for me to care for changes by localisation for subs or dubs most of the time and this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Whoever the, underpaid, translators that are working on it have certainly have taken (a form of) liberties with parts of it. See this tweet by Kayli Mills (English VA who seems to be watching the show for.... whatever reason)

So I guess in all it doesn't seem a problem so long as it conveys a general tone or feeling of the scene. But sometimes its also easy to clown on a show for having something that seems out of place in a japanese show like didn't Rent-A-Girlfriend have a GOAT reference in the sub? Out of context that seems odd but maybe a combo of context, western cultural understanding(?) and the maximum sub limit for sentences alleviate that (I haven't seen the show).
I don't really mind localizations that use western references if it's still in character. Take this scene from the latest Love Live episode:
Screenshot_20201101-004343_Crunchyroll.jpg
While it's highly likely she just said something more along the lines of "I see you have good taste" or something to that effect, Kasumi is such a gremlin character that I can imagine her saying this. Fits well in context and with the character.

I don't really mind localizations that use western references if it's still in character. Take this scene from the latest Love Live episode:
View attachment 15521
While it's highly likely she just said something more along the lines of "I see you have good taste" or something to that effect, Kasumi is such a gremlin character that I can imagine her saying this. Fits well in context and with the character.
Yes, sometimes this does come up. I think that for shows that could have broader audiences, in jokes / anime memes don't work as well. In dubs (more my familiarity but will go either way) shows like Hensuki having anime meme in jokes (this exact meme is there too!) is fine as its raunchy harem comedy so its not likely to be super broad. But it's an Idol show (sub especially) so...... it's odd. Wouldn't have been my choice but whatevs (but also, haven't seen the show, so you know more than me!).

I don't mind changes that are necessary for coherence. Like for example a joke that wouldn't make any sense in english because it's based on Japanese wordplay. I absolutely hate it when the entire context of a scene is changed though Funimation style. As a none japanese speaker I am paying for a translation from these people to tell me what's going on as accurately as possible.

Back