The General Conversation Area

I've had a not so bad Monday, spent a lot of it tidying and got some heavy body acrylic to experiment with, just about to jazz up a birthday card for my mum as she's visiting and her birthday is during her visit :)

So I just tested the region for million Arthur and it seems it's region A only
Well disks 3/4 are.
But what strange is this message that popped up. IMG_20201020_141725.jpg
I suppose I'll have to put it up for sale now.

I wonder if there will be any trick or treaters on Halloween... seen some neighbours out with decorations, but wouldn't get there hopes up. I am hoping to see a person appearing as a hazmat zombie, like the ones in Left 4 Dead, for Halloween. Both effective and a proper costume.

I don't like mentioning politics as it can cause conflict but.....
I just can't get my head around 322 Tory MPs voting down free school meals to children that need them the most.
I've been looking online with some people actually trying to make the argument that it's down to the families that should be feeding there children.
Well first there's a pandemic that's preventing people earning a living.
Some families have to choose between food or having a roof over their heads.
Some people just aren't very good parents, so why should the children be penalised for it?
To me its a no-brainer. Have I missed something? Or has the government truly lost the plot?

I don't like mentioning politics as it can cause conflict but.....
I just can't get my head around 322 Tory MPs voting down free school meals to children that need them the most.
I've been looking online with some people actually trying to make the argument that it's down to the families that should be feeding there children.
Well first there's a pandemic that's preventing people earning a living.
Some families have to choose between food or having a roof over their heads.
Some people just aren't very good parents, so why should the children be penalised for it?
To me its a no-brainer. Have I missed something? Or has the government truly lost the plot?

It is stupid I agree but to give a proper non-bias answer the reason is the Tories want to save money for the country and improve the economy by cutting back as much social spending as possible and increasing export with the money being used to instead decrease the national debt. Where as on the other side of the fence a labour government would be more inclined to spend the money to improve the lives of the citizens but at obvious expenses. Of course that's a broad generalisation.

It is stupid I agree but to give a proper non-bias answer the reason is the Tories want to save money for the country and improve the economy by cutting back as much social spending as possible and increasing export with the money being used to instead decrease the national debt. Where as on the other side of the fence a labour government would be more inclined to spend the money to improve the lives of the citizens but at obvious expenses. Of course that's a broad generalisation.
Well normally I could agree with that logic, but with what the government's been wasting the money on these last few months, seriously children thats where there going to come down hard on.

Well normally I could agree with that logic, but with what the government's been wasting the money on these last few months, seriously children thats where there going to come down hard on.

I agree, but honestly the tories are in a position I would not want to be in right now. Covid hit hard and fast, they had to borrow more money than they ever needed just to bandage up the economy and keep people employed for as long as the emergency funds held out. Something had to give and I'm afraid 2021 won't be much better at this rate. It's actually the first time where I'm honestly curious if a Labour government would have handled this situation better.

I agree, but honestly the tories are in a position I would not want to be in right now. Covid hit hard and fast, they had to borrow more money than they ever needed just to bandage up the economy and keep people employed for as long as the emergency funds held out. Something had to give and I'm afraid 2021 won't be much better at this rate. It's actually the first time where I'm honestly curious if a Labour government would have handled this situation better.
Even if or when things go south children should always come first.
In this case and judging from how they have been spending the money, children haven't even come second or third.
Safety nets should be in place to protect children. Well the safety net in this case has just been replaced with a hole in the ground.

Even if or when things go south children should always come first.
In this case and judging from how they have been spending the money, children haven't even come second or third.
Safety nets should be in place to protect children. Well the safety net in this case has just been replaced with a hole in the ground.

I mean yes I wasn't debating, I answered your question to the best of my abilities. Ok I'll stop then, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Guess we'll have to deal with this upcoming change to shipping for UK consumers as signs show that companies will have to pay for VAT upfront to the UK come January 1st (and items under £15 will be no longer exempt from VAT). Seeing some stores already saying nope to this is concerning especially for non amazon (who of course already do this) companies who additional costs for a likely small market (I wonder if Right Stuf, JB Hi Fi and plenty of others will just close sales to the UK due to the costs and reduced profits). This is basically all bad, and it's all being done in attempt to save time with customs checks.

Guess we'll have to deal with this upcoming change to shipping for UK consumers as signs show that companies will have to pay for VAT upfront to the UK come January 1st (and items under £15 will be no longer exempt from VAT). Seeing some stores already saying nope to this is concerning especially for non amazon (who of course already do this) companies who additional costs for a likely small market (I wonder if Right Stuf, JB Hi Fi and plenty of others will just close sales to the UK due to the costs and reduced profits). This is basically all bad, and it's all being done in attempt to save time with customs checks.

What do you mean, this is awesome news for the consumer. I would rather have a straight up +20% on shipping (which is what will happen I'm sure) instead of anxiously waiting to see what Royal Mail or Fedex bills you and going through that whole hassle.

What do you mean, this is awesome news for the consumer. I would rather have a straight up +20% on shipping (which is what will happen I'm sure) instead of anxiously waiting to see what Royal Mail or Fedex bills you and going through that whole hassle.
Not for the businesses involved it isn't. especially small businesses and mid size ones where the UK is a market but not key. Sure, Amazon will be unaffected (though more dependency on Amazon is bad period) and yes the issue of handling surcharges will in theory be removed (though that will be replaced with higher prices as companies will have thinner margins due to paperwork and staff that were not needed in the past for one country/market). In fact it's entirely possible that the surcharges that already exist will be an expected transaction for the business and will be, of course, past onto the consumer with a profit margin attached. All that, plus, inevitably, less choice. Not to mention the other issues for UK exporters which will hurt small and mid sized companies disproportionately .

Not for the businesses involved it isn't. especially small businesses and mid size ones where the UK is a market but not key. Sure, Amazon will be unaffected (though more dependency on Amazon is bad period) and yes the issue of handling surcharges will in theory be removed (though that will be replaced with higher prices as companies will have thinner margins due to paperwork and staff that were not needed in the past for one country/market). In fact it's entirely possible that the surcharges that already exist will be an expected transaction for the business and will be, of course, past onto the consumer with a profit margin attached. All that, plus, inevitably, less choice. Not to mention the other issues for UK exporters which will hurt small and mid sized companies disproportionately .

Yeah that's what I said with the surcharges, it's the logical outcome. But I'm talking from the consumer pov because I don't really care about the business portion, they will adapt.

Back