The General Conversation Area

Hi guys and girls,

Question, is there a way to confirm a dvd/blu ray title is Pal or NTSC
Does it state it on the disk or box
Or is there another method.
if a blu-ray is PAL it'll commonly say 1080i/50 or 1080i/25 on the back usually

with DVD it will usually mention it on the back like this, i'm pretty sure it'll say NTSC under the 2 if the dvd is like that but someone else may have to comment on that aspect as i haven't bought any UK DVDs in maybe 13-14 years and i only know from say that some anime publishers here do use the NTSC discs instead
003_dvd_region_code_2_by_nicf-nettie_ai.png

Its either called B or region 2, region 2 I think includes some parts of Africa, B is Europe but the UK is one of the very few countries that use PAL standard, if I remember right though that's not a region standard, thats how something is rendered

if a blu-ray is PAL it'll commonly say 1080i/50 or 1080i/25 on the back usually
For the EU yes. For the US it would then be 1080i/60 or 1080i/30 as they always use NTSC (see below).

@Captaaainuniverse , PAL is used in a lot more countries besides the UK, in fact most of Europe uses PAL, except for France which uses SECAM. In general NTSC = US, PAL = EU. For more information and what country uses which standard see this Wiki article.

Also as far as I know there are no releases in the US which are in PAL, but the other way around happens. I know that MVM has some NTSC DVD released. This is simple because most PAL DVD players can play NTSC discs, but on the other hand most NTSC DVD players aren't able to play PAL discs.

There might be other options, but in general you could see it when ripping a DVD with something like MakeMKV and look into it with something like MediaInfo.

@Denny Fisher , are there specific titles you wish to know if they are PAL or NTSC?

I remember that when ADV (Sentai) used to release in the uk their releases were ntsc. I have their uk release of Gunsmith Cats and it's ntsc.

Last edited:
For the EU yes. For the US it would then be 1080i/60 or 1080i/30 as they always use NTSC (see below).

@Captaaainuniverse , PAL is used in a lot more countries besides the UK, in fact most of Europe uses PAL, except for France which uses SECAM. In general NTSC = US, PAL = EU. For more information and what country uses which standard see this Wiki article.

Also as far as I know there are no releases in the US which are in PAL, but the other way around happens. I know that MVM has some NTSC DVD released. This is simple because most PAL DVD players can play NTSC discs, but on the other hand most NTSC DVD players aren't able to play PAL discs.

There might be other options, but in general you could see it when ripping a DVD with something like MakeMKV and look into it with something like MediaInfo.

@Denny Fisher , are there specific titles you wish to know if they are PAL or NTSC?
It was a random request.
Someone asked me if k-on season 2 was Pal or not.
I was pretty sure it was Pal but it didn't state it on the case or disk.

If it's the BD release and it mentions 1080p on the back then it's never PAL or NTSC but just 23,976 fps as per the BD specifications. It's indeed a different story when it mentions 1080i. On the other hand AFAIK K-On was always 1080p in the JP, UK and US releases.

If it's the BD release and it mentions 1080p on the back then it's never PAL or NTSC but just 23,976 fps as per the BD specifications. It's indeed a different story when it mentions 1080i. On the other hand AFAIK K-On was always 1080p in the JP, UK and US releases.
They didn't specify but I believe it was the dvd version.

So the excel is going to turned into a hospital and it's weird that the London comic con hasn't been cancelled because there's no way this will be over by the summer.

Back with family again.

Amazon made life hard because neither methylated spirit (to cook), tents, or sleeping bags were a priority item so they had a month's delivery time. But it's ok because essentials like a 10" tablet, a door bell & face mask were available next day. I don't think amazon put any effort into choosing essential items, I think they just randomly set 80% of their stock to a long delivery date.

We've had some nice weather luckily but its been very cold at night, hard to sleep out in, especially being unable to heat water or food.

Back