The General Conversation Area

@Denny Fisher looks pretty cool but I have no floor space at all for a mat! Maybe one day...

On the topic of decorating/furnishing I spent last evening moving DVDs around-it’s a reminder of just how much dust can gather, even if you clean regularly.

Recently got a new IKEA DVD tower which I’ll eventually fill up (with the amount of Sentai titles I have coming this May happen rather quickly.)

I've got no idea about Silicon Valley but could you elaborate on the developers thing mate? I work with software devs all day and never noticed it personally so I'm genuinely interested to find out what you've experienced.
I’ve been told I would easily get a job cos I’m gay as did a female Friend cos they are a girl and I’ve heard from my brother who works with a gender neutral person they face quite a lot of comments well did at the start, it’s getting better as that was a few years ago and I’ve heard nothing since but I never faced homophobia in school which in a catholic one was a surprise in hindsight so that’s why I can remember that one.

@Denny Fisher looks pretty cool but I have no floor space at all for a mat! Maybe one day...

On the topic of decorating/furnishing I spent last evening moving DVDs around-it’s a reminder of just how much dust can gather, even if you clean regularly.

Recently got a new IKEA DVD tower which I’ll eventually fill up (with the amount of Sentai titles I have coming this May happen rather quickly.)
I decided to have this one instead in the end Screenshot_20191127_115225.jpg
Also picking up a blanket for my brother.
Screenshot_20191127_141715.jpgScreenshot_20191127_141618.jpg

You could just have a blanket, or a quilt cover?

I’ve been told I would easily get a job cos I’m gay as did a female Friend cos they are a girl and I’ve heard from my brother who works with a gender neutral person they face quite a lot of comments well did at the start, it’s getting better as that was a few years ago and I’ve heard nothing since but I never faced homophobia in school which in a catholic one was a surprise in hindsight so that’s why I can remember that one.
Having been to Silicon Valley (never worked there, just attended events), there was quite the focus by companies to appear "progressive" and "inclusive". I could see how one would get the idea that there is some preferential treatment. Whether that actually is the case or not, I don't know, but personally it hardly ever felt sincere and more to "boost" the company's image, which I consider to be very American.

From my personal experience working with other software developers, I must say, I've never observed any of the sort. If anything, it feels that the focus is generally more on the work/skill than the person compared to other fields. Though that might actually have more to do with the stereotypical lack of social skills 😶. As with anything it probably varies from instance to instance, but I'm not aware of anything inherit to developers that would make the field more homophobic or sexist.

I think its more as Men are much more likely to be developers than women that culture is more likely to happen. Its more I think companies doing token headline rubbish when down the chain I can't see any big difference in hiring policies.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting the experience of getting attacked and almost mugged after watching Promare last night. The NHS wait times were no joke - 5 hours it took to wait for a doctor.

To those of you who were worried about me, don't worry I am fine. I was extremely lucky to be alive and have nothing stolen.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting the experience of getting attacked and almost mugged after watching Promare last night. The NHS wait times were no joke - 5 hours it took to wait for a doctor.

To those of you who were worried about me, don't worry I am fine. I was extremely lucky to be alive and have nothing stolen.
I'm glad your alright mate, no serious injuries I hope.
It doesn't surprise me you had to wait so long in A and E. Waiting times are getting ridiculous.
If you need to talk I'm there. It's not an experience anyone should go through.

That really sucks! Glad you're ok!

I'm glad your alright mate, no serious injuries I hope.
It doesn't surprise me you had to wait so long in A and E. Waiting times are getting ridiculous.
If you need to talk I'm there. It's not an experience anyone should go through.
The only injuries that I had received were multiple punches to the face so there's a lot of red marks. No damage to the bones or any internal bleeding, so the doctors said that I should be able to recover in time.
That really sucks! Glad you're ok!
Thanks, I am alive and well. Ironically the incident has made me decide to listen to A Rush of Blood to the Head.

The only injuries that I had received were multiple punches to the face so there's a lot of red marks. No damage to the bones or any internal bleeding, so the doctors said that I should be able to recover in time.

Thanks, I am alive and well. Ironically the incident has made me decide to listen to A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Well it's sounds physically you haven't received serious injury. Thank god!
Still psychologically that will be with you for a long time mate.
Have you spoken to family? they will want to see you.

Well it's sounds physically you haven't received serious injury. Thank god!
Still psychologically that will be with you for a long time mate.
Have you spoken to family? they will want to see you.
A good question. Personally I wouldn't use that specific tramstop at night-time (I actually was going to use the train, but my friend never went to the shopping centre before so I went with him via the tram route) but I don't think it will affect me going to the cinema or night outings with friends if I had to be honest. I think what helped my situation was the nice reaction I got from the security staff at the shopping centre. One of them said that I "took it like a champ" which was in my mind is like "yeah this ****** situation happened but the kind responses helped balance the psychological part". I even walked back home from the hospital in the dark (6:30-7:30am) and I survived well enough.

I told my parents today once I was discharged, they took it pretty well and they're going to visit me this weekend regardless.

This incident shouldn't affect any replayability value I have for Promare (and it would be a shame if it did because it's a really surprisingly good film).

Glad to hear @NormanicGrav is ok after what happened, it can be a bit rough where I am but it’s mostly junkies, been a long time since anyone tried attacking me, of course I mostly avoid nights out now since I don’t see much point, I wouldn’t be meeting anyone or anything
Just pack a stop sign next time, don’t worry about brain damage thugs like that don’t have one, or take pepper spray, seems like a simple idea you don’t really need but you have no idea how much people will hate getting sprayed with it, they’ll never bother you if they’re afraid of getting hit with it again

that said, I’ll have to go up the shop tonight, never get any trouble though, work’s made me go up weekend nights lots of times

There must be something in the air, bizarrely I also got punched square in the face last night by some drunk, drugged-up knobhead who decided to randomly start a fight with me and my friends as we walked home from the pub. Happily he's not getting away with it because another guy who he'd also assaulted just round the corner had already called the cops, who promptly showed up, took statements and arrested him. ****ed up my nose (and ruined my jumper with my own blood) but thankfully I didn't have to go through the hospital experience as some paramedics just checked me out and let me go.

Glad you're okay too Grav. What a couple of wankers, eh?

"took it like a champ"
original.gif

Back