The General Conversation Area

I find that dvds of newer anime just don’t look that good on more recent TVs either. Unlike DVD, Blu Ray is a versatile format that allows for a number of possibilities. It holds much more content, meaning that SD BDs are now a thing, they also allow for older programmes to look better and cleaner I.e Classic Doctor Who and hopefully Red Dwarf.

In essence I don’t hate DVDs or anything, but when it comes to anime specifically I’d rather have it on Blu Ray or even SD BD for older content that may not look as good upscaled/titles with a lot of episodes that would be too costly to give a HD treatment.

A big irk of mine is that DVDs also usually take up shelf space that could be saved in PEs/CES/LEs/combo sets. Sentai in particular have a habit of including an extra case just for DVDs that have no use for me whatsoever. I personally never buy anime DVDs anymore unless they’re very cheap or have no affordable English Blu Ray release (my recent Arakawa purchase for instance.)

Last edited:
Funny you should say that I have a friend irl that still collects and watches VHS lol.

Personally I still buy DVD's myself for some things like the south park collections which are dirt cheap comparatively and are still good.

I won't sell them, as they are (mostly) films my parents gave me so they have that value to me, interesting piece of history to own as well(I have most disney movies of the time for example).

Funny you should say that I have a friend irl that still collects and watches VHS lol.

Personally I still buy DVD's myself for some things like the south park collections which are dirt cheap comparatively and are still good.
I found that the new Blu Ray sets for South Park blew the old DVDs away, especially for the first three seasons which looked pretty lacklustre on DVD.

I think my one reservation with DVD is with the new 4k standard. I haven't upgraded to a 4k TV yet but I'm concerned about what a DVD will actually look like when blown up to such a high resolution when the time eventually comes.

And speaking of 4k, fun fact we have finally hit the threshold where consumer resolution is higher than what some movies are actually filmed at so this will be fun.

I found that the new Blu Ray sets for South Park blew the old DVDs away, especially for the first three seasons which looked pretty lacklustre on DVD.

While I easily believe it, the reason I chose the DVD's is for the price and the convenience of having a large box set. 5 Seasons boxed together for £20 is hard to beat :)

I think my one reservation with DVD is with the new 4k standard. I haven't upgraded to a 4k TV yet but I'm concerned about what a DVD will actually look like when blown up to such a high resolution when the time eventually comes.

And speaking of 4k, fun fact we have finally hit the threshold where consumer resolution is higher than what some movies are actually filmed at so this will be fun.

While I easily believe it, the reason I chose the DVD's is for the price and the convenience of having a large box set. 5 Seasons boxed together for £20 is hard to beat :)
I got lucky in that both the season 1-5 and 6-10 Blu Ray sets were only £50 imported from the US, plus they take up a lot less space.

I find that dvds of newer anime just don’t look that good on more recent TVs either. Unlike DVD, Blu Ray is a versatile format that allows for a number of possibilities. It holds much more content, meaning that SD BDs are now a thing, they also allow for older programmes to look better and cleaner I.e Classic Doctor Who and hopefully Red Dwarf.

In essence I don’t hate DVDs or anything, but when it comes to anime specifically I’d rather have it on Blu Ray or even SD BD for older content that may not look as good upscaled/titles with a lot of episodes that would be too costly to give a HD treatment.

A big irk of mine is that DVDs also usually take up shelf space that could be saved in PEs/CES/LEs/combo sets. Sentai in particular have a habit of including an extra case just for DVDs that have no use for me whatsoever. I personally never buy anime DVDs anymore unless they’re very cheap or have no affordable English Blu Ray release (my recent Arakawa purchase for instance.)
I've also noticed that DVD looks pretty poor now that 4k panels are a dime a dozen, it's not the resolution or the size, it just somehow looks... poorer than before.
I did have a patch & parrot of burst angel before, now I have the DVD collection I can kind of tell my patch & parrot was from a boy ray source, colours a duller on DVD, I think I'm noticing jaggies and compared it looks a lot less clear. I get that some licenses on DVD are from yonks ago but better displays are aging them out

I've also noticed that DVD looks pretty poor now that 4k panels are a dime a dozen, it's not the resolution or the size, it just somehow looks... poorer than before.

This was my fear, I will have to try and get a first hand impression though. Although now I wonder if older blu-rays are on limited time with the release of 4k BR. It seems the cycle of the standard format is shortening especially with 8k on the horizon as well.

Some older Blu Rays from early on in their life cycle do look a bit lacking nowadays, but they often end up getting re-releases that improve the transfer, not dissimilar to how DVDs would have special editions. I can’t see 4K being the norm for a few years yet, at least not in the UK since they’re still pretty pricey.

We won't see many 4K anime period until it starts to take over in Japan, which is far from happening, 4K releases are still quite rare.

Last edited:
I don't think 8k will take over that quickly really. Only when 16k is more widely pushed (And of course, the premium option) will 4k become like DVD
For most media, 4k is going to be where it stops because you’re not going to get much more detail out of 35mm film, probably all you’d see in an 8k version of a 35mm film would be more detailed film grain. That’s why NHK chose 2001: A Space Odyssey to debut 8k, as it was filmed on 70mm film. Very few films are filmed on 70mm however, so 8k is going to be very niche, probably far too niche to ever warrant its own physical media format.

Some older Blu Rays from early on in their life cycle do look a bit lacking nowadays, but they often end up getting re-releases that improve the transfer, not dissimilar to how DVDs would have special editions. I can’t see 4K being the norm for a few years yet, at least not in the UK since they’re still pretty pricey.
I don't see 4K ever catching on when BDs didn't make DVDs obsolete and they still aren't!

Recently upgraded to a 4K TV and BDs looks great on that to point I decided getting 4k player etc really wasn't worth it.

Back