The General Conversation Area

Your personal survival, sure. But as far as I'm aware people eating sweets isn't likely to render the planet uninhabitable like a lot of the crap we're collectively doing as a species
Eh...? First off, no. Eating sweets needs sweets to be produced. Obviously that needs sugar. Mass producing sugar is, like any other mass produced agriculture bad for the ecosystem.

But that wasn't my point when I wrote that yesterday. The point being, if people can't even manage that much for their own health, effects of which the first show up in a matter of weeks, with even a serious lot of people actually actively suffering from diseases still not being able to bid goodbye to these devilish charms; you really expect them to do something even more complicated than stop eating sweets? Of course they don't care much about decendants, as you put it. That majority can't even care about their own pretty immediate future right this moment.
I'd much rather flip it round. Give them a long life when they've proven to deserve it.

I always thought that the meaning of life was to simple exists and to be part of one big ecosystem of the earth but when you think about everything we do actively goes against it and harms that very ecosystem so maybe we're actually a virus whose purpose is to kill our host.

But that wasn't my point when I wrote that yesterday. The point being, if people can't even manage that much for their own health, effects of which the first show up in a matter of weeks, with even a serious lot of people actually actively suffering from diseases still not being able to bid goodbye to these devilish charms; you really expect them to do something even more complicated than stop eating sweets?
I’m not sure we can draw that correlation between self care and care for others/the world so easily - I mean there are fat politicians and charity organisers. Barack Obama and (to be inclusive at the other end of the political spectrum) Nigel Farage smoke so they must care more about society and other people than they do about their own health.

People might not stop eating sweets, but they’ll go out and vote in favour of a sugar tax (or at least they won’t oppose it, like the plastic bag charge) if they become convinced it’s a good idea. Individually, we’re not strong against society and planet threatening problems. Individually, we’re weak enough to give in to our own temptations. That’s where I think the importance of community and society comes into play. Hey, maybe if there was a society wide campaign against sugar people would stop!

I've eaten my very first few Umaibo's across the last 24hours and holy crap if they aren't one of the most delicious things in existence. They are so much better than they really have any right to be. I mean for goodness sake they are 10yen giant single corn puffs. But damn they are incredible. I've tried the Corn Potage, Beef Tongue and Curry flavors so far and yeah these things RULE!

How in the world did my "Oh no, my touchpad got SLICED and it's discontinued!" exasperation end up getting just one step short of an x/1999-ish enviroment battle? Chain reactions are a thing to behold.

But back to the touchpad. The price for it on one ebay auction kind of skyrocketed 50% over the price I had paid. I have the slight feeling, I should stock up on one or two. They are also compatible with Windows 10, so they should at least survive the couple of years until that OS gets discontinued.

It's a drop in the ocean compared to what some of the other art people I follow seem to be going through, but my Cintiq Companion 2 appears to have died, less than a year after I bought it. Now that I know what symptoms to look for online, there seem to be a raft of similar horror stories out there too.

Considering that my regular Cintiq is still going strong after eight years of near daily use, the moral of the story seems to be that Wacom build great conventional drawing tablets, but can't build an actual tablet computer to save themselves.

Is it still in warranty at least Prof?

I would love a powerful laptop for working on that can handle all the 3D software I use, it would be incredibly convenient. Alas, I don't believe powerful and hot-running GPUs and CPUs were meant to be confined in such a tight space, let alone while doing the kind of rendering that makes my desktop sound like a leaf blower.

I would love a powerful laptop for working on that can handle all the 3D software I use, it would be incredibly convenient. Alas, I don't believe powerful and hot-running GPUs and CPUs were meant to be confined in such a tight space, let alone while doing the kind of rendering that makes my desktop sound like a leaf blower.
"All the 3D software" - What 3D stuff are you doing? Getting curious there.

This is a good question. I bought it as 'new' from Amazon Marketplace, but unfortunately the seller no longer has the original proof of purchase, so I can't determine exactly when they would have got it, if they're counting that as the start of the warranty. I've had it just under a year, so if there's any chance of Wacom taking my purchase date as the start of the warranty, then it should be, but I fear they may not want to play ball. We'll see.

Also curious now as to what kind of 3D work you're doing...

I always slightly regret hastily saying things about my real life because I'm a little cautious about how identifiable I want to be.

Let's just say I currently make 3D things. Not always on time and not always very well. But I'm currently using 3ds Max, ZBrush, Substance Designer/Painter and UE4.

I quite fancy getting into ZBrush, as I've seen some folk use it as part of a painting workflow to great effect, but I never seem able to make the time to sit down and get to grips with it.

For that particular purpose, ZBrush would actually be fairly straightforward to use. Gets a bit less straightforward if you intend to export the meshes you create to Max or Maya, especially if they then need to be rigged and animated...

The worst thing for me about using ZBrush is the fact the basic controls for panning/zooming etc are totally different to the Autodesk programs most commonly used in conjunction with it - Simply flipping between the two software packages makes my head spin.

Back