The General Conversation Area

Well I had it in the back of my mind for ages, since I knew Japan is tough on both immigration and drugs, but whenever I mentioned it to friends they were just like "oh everyone's been done for weed, and it's not even a conviction, don't worry" so I didn't really think too much about it. But today, just before starting my next year at uni, I wanted to make sure I'd be ok for my year abroad, and then started reading some terrible stories on the internet about people being refused entry for years and years old cannabis convictions and stuff. So I decided to ring the embassy and the woman was like "yeah, you're never going work in Japan, so sorry, don't know about a student visa so ask your uni or someone else"...:(

It's horrible that such a small mistake you make when you're a kid really, can have huge ramifications down the road.

Pretty sh*tty luck Vash, but are are novelty birth certificates, passports and national insurance numbers really that hard to come by? In London of all places?

There has to be a better way Ayase, I'm not sure I have the stomach for all that The Talented Mr. Ripley type stuff. To be honest I do have my doubts that the Japanese gov would have full access to and be able to check my UK criminal record to find that caution, especially as that caution is supposed to be "filtered" out of most criminal record searches, unlike say having a genocide conviction which would obviously be flagged (genocide is actually on the list of "offences that will never be filtered" on the gov website along with buggery :lol: ) The woman I spoke to on the phone was actually in charge of the JET program, and I can understand why she would say I wouldn't be eligible for that, as I can see how that would require a full CRB check, but I'm hoping she's not right about getting a general work visa or student visa. Common sense tells me if I'm just not forthcoming about my caution I may well be fine. Tomorrow I'm going to try and contact the Disclosure and Barring Service, to see if they'll tell me how much info they give the Japanese gov for assessing work and student visas.

Been continuing the RPG sessions as usual. Session 2 just finished (5 hours though, surprised it went fast). Still a long way to go, rules (as mentioned) are not exactly the same as on the guidebook but at least it's been fun.

One point I ended up blowing someone's head off with lighting (critical hit) then the next turn nearly killing a fellow teammate with ice (critical fail).

So, over the past few weeks I've had two wisdom teeth out.

And now, I've got an ulcer on my tonsil and my uvula has ended up being so long it now lays on my tongue and hurts every time I eat or drink, let alone just gulp.

I just don't understand how one person can be so unlucky in a short space of time? Especially as I take very good care of my mouth ;_;

Yeah Owly mine's the same. Since they're causing me no real pain bar from when they're trying to poke and grow out/up, mine are staying put. It sucks as I'd like my top two out at the very least as I have a small mouth so its pushing my front teeth more forward/together which me no likey :( have a "mouth guard" to stop them going anymore forward but I'd still rather them out. Booooo.

GolGotha, that's awful! Any idea why your uvula has extended in length (had to google what it was hehe)? You think the ulcer could actually be tonsilitus? When I'd get an ulcer on mine they'd instantly turn into tonsilitus which could maybe explain the uvula too? I got tonislitus once a month for 6 months and FINALLY got them removed at 16. Yay to no more tonsilitues but obviously now I'm more susceptible to chesty coughs. Boooo again! :p

I have a problem with my jaw in that one of the joints is oddly shaped, this makes my jaw lock and make a loud clicking noise. I had to go to the hospital recently after my dentist sent me when she got a fright when my jaw made a noise like a gunshot :lol:

When I was there, I got an x-ray and saw that my bottom wisdom teeth sit perfectly horizontally. The nurse said it's really in my best interest if they don't come in. Especially as I have a really small mouth and just have no room for them!

-Danielle- said:
GolGotha, that's awful! Any idea why your uvula has extended in length (had to google what it was hehe)? You think the ulcer could actually be tonsilitus? When I'd get an ulcer on mine they'd instantly turn into tonsilitus which could maybe explain the uvula too? I got tonislitus once a month for 6 months and FINALLY got them removed at 16. Yay to no more tonsilitues but obviously now I'm more susceptible to chesty coughs. Boooo again! :p

It's okay, I had to google 'long dangly thing in mouth' haha! Awww poo, there's always a catch!

That was my fear, but as the tonsils aren't swollen I'm hoping it's just an ulcer. Google searches says this can happen with stress, if so then that's probably why, don't worry I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm pretty sure the hold music when you call the Japanese embassy is some old school Zelda theme song. Or at least it sounded just like it. I bet that gives the VGM lovers a hard on when calling about getting their Japanese visas.

I went to a language exchange and a Japanese woman told me she once played Samurai Warriors for sixteen hours in one day and broke her thumb. RUI, WATCH YOURSELF OUT THERE.

vashdaman said:
I went to a language exchange and a Japanese woman told me she once played Samurai Warriors for sixteen hours in one day and broke her thumb. RUI, WATCH YOURSELF OUT THERE.

Hahahaha, well I'm safe for now as I need an excuse to get a PS4 before buying the newest one :D

R

st_owly said:
When I rule the world, all things Christmas will be illegal until the 1st December.

:O does this include the early shopping? I try to get it all out the way early in the year and just stash it! Though I like the idea of you ruling the world st_owly! I seem to share a lot of opinions with you and stuff so I could go with that :p

Owly is my Grinch. My heart is broken </3 :( hehehe.

I'm going to plague you with Christmas cheer for that now, just you wait! mwahahaha :D

Rumour has it the markets are going to start here on November 17th. Unf! :D

Yeah I think commercial stuff like that is annoying, I'll agree with you there.

The markets and the food are my weakness. Although I must say I'm pondering some wintery/christmassy leggings. The wool kind hehe.

Back