The General Conversation Area

@AUKN members- your combined knowledge of physics/satellite technology always amazes me.

Just discovered I have won a pair of tickets to an Italian festival happening in London next week. I haven't won a competition in over a year, so its a nice surprise.

congratz m.g :)

Great weekend, booked a certain test this morning. Now just sat in work listening to radio 1.

was up till half 2... why's it that when your trying to sleep in the same bed as your gf over the weekend and she's taking all the covers and apparently laughing at you because you've been talking and laughing in your sleep... then when your back in your own bed on your own.... why's it so bloody hard to sleep? :S

Tachi- said:
congratz m.g :)

Great weekend, booked a certain test this morning. Now just sat in work listening to radio 1.

was up till half 2... why's it that when your trying to sleep in the same bed as your gf over the weekend and she's taking all the covers and apparently laughing at you because you've been talking and laughing in your sleep... then when your back in your own bed on your own.... why's it so bloody hard to sleep? :S

According to my Psychology Specification, it's likely to be because your brain is over-active, and thus you aren't able to enter Stage 1 NREM Sleep to initiate the sleep cycle. It's suggested you try to relax yourself by using calming music or visual imagery of nice, calming places - this should reduce brain arousal and allow you to sleep more effectively.

(Lol, yeah, I have work due in on this on Wednesday - Don't worry though; that's a summary, I could go on...)

lol It just suggests the above really. Arousal of the mind doesn't have to be from any particular stimulus - gaming may have helped to relax you which'd explain your being able to sleep fine afterwards. It could just be something you're anxious over - that's the worst one for losing sleep. I play games n **** till late - but due to having tinnitus I have to listen to a rain loop when I go to sleep (for the time being) and as such, it probably relaxes me, so I get fairly good sleep. Basically avoid alcahol/caffeine for as long as possible before sleeping, and before going to sleep just try doing some really calming things. Put your phone away so no one can contact you, and think of relaxing things - if that's too hard then go and listen to relaxing stuff, like a rain loop.

I wouldn't suggest sleeping tablets - your quality of sleep matters far more than the length of sleep in terms of next day tiredness (Though, people who sleep less than 6.5 hours, or more than 8.5 hours may be more likely to die...). Sleeping tablets have shown to reduce time spent in REM sleep, which means you will probably still not be 100% the next day - best bet for you is just to try the above and relax.

Mwaahaaaahaaaaaa!!

*yawn* Morning people! Hows tricks?

Wathched Summer Wars the other night. Pre-ordered it on Bluray immediately after watching it. Amazing film!

Godot said:
people who sleep less than 6.5 hours, or more than 8.5 hours may be more likely to die...

If you can find scientific study that this is the case i'll start to sleep more... on average i get 5 hours a night during the weekdays. Make up for it on the weekends though.

I prefer sleeping whilst its raining outside, its relaxin. I've worked it out myself anyway - its because i was just uncomfortable, when kayls is laid there she's usually snuggled upto me. when i got back and was on my own it was just a weird feeling like i'd lost something lol.

Tachi- said:
If you can find scientific study that this is the case

My textbook doesn't cite conjecture - we only use studies.

Van Dongen, Vitellaro and Dinges (2005)

In epidemiologic studies, both relatively long and relatively
short sleepers (ie, individuals who reported sleeping significantly
more or less than approximately 7 hours per day) were found
to have increased risk of mortality

Causation isn't proved yet, but there is a definite link.

I too only sleep 5/6 hours a night but I've read a study that people only need 5/6 hours. There was nothing about people being more likely to die?! o_O

As far as i was aware for children the average is 10 hours. for teenagers its between 10 and 12. for adults its 8.

I'd have 8 hours sleep at night.... but that would mean going to bed at 11, and thats not happening at all.

I'm a night owl also. I could go to bed early but then I'd just lay awke for hours. Makes more sense watching anime till I get ired. Plus, reading subs can make me tired.

:lol:

Taking alot of time on monster hunter tri right now. have been looking around for materials to make a long sword (my favourite weapon in the series) but after having to fight through to 4/5ths of the offline starred quests to unloack the LS and having such a limited weapon upgrade tree i'm probably not going to use it till i get a thunderclap sword, all other elements seem pointless whilst underwater lol.

Anyway, mates in kent so no gym till maybe wednesday... so going to make more pancakes today :) made some with the gf over the weekend.. ended up using my new wok to make them because it worked much better than her frying pan. after 3 failed attempts in her pan mine worked everytime

looking towards the weekend already.

A wok for pancakes? That sounds like way too much effort. Surely you'd be better with a flat surface? I use my wok for almost all forms of cooking. I have no idea how I cooked beofre it. Pancakes though, standard non stick pan every time.
:p

no my wok is a non stick one. and they turn out alright lol the none stick frying pan kept going wrong lol

Want to cook a stir fry right now.....

Nah, I want something savoury. Might go get myself a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie to have wih my sandwhich at lunch. *gargles*

Right! No more food talk for now! :evil:

Have you seen Summer Wars Tach? If not, get it pre ordered on bluray. You'd love it.

Whats it about? give me a mini summary and i'll take a ganders at it, not sure if i should spend money this month, spent enough as it is lol.

What's it about? ...well... I won't do it justice but I'll give it a go:
Basically it's about a virus that takes over the internet and turns the world upside down. The story takes place with a family gathering that are celebrating the Grandmothers 90th birthday. One thing leads to another and they end up having to save the world from complete chaos.
To be honest, I don't want to say anymore than that. Trust me though, it's a good watch. I would hope that anyone else who will have seen it would also agree.

Back