The first Blu-Ray anime DVD is Metropolis

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to AnimeOnDVD, the first Blu-Ray anime DVD ("next-generation optical disc format designed for high-density storage of high-definition video and data") to be released outside of Japan will be in the UK when Sony release Rintaro's popular retro-sci-fi Metropolis on the 4th of December.

Argh, I fear Blu-Ray. They will make my DVD collection seem oversized and obsolete and i'll probably end up a couple of years down the line being pushed into rebuying everything on Blu-Ray. *shoo shoo* I say. :(

they should just not release any old movies on the new formats, its a waste of time and money.
and speaking of Blu-Ray, since it has so much space on the disc, it would be comonsence to include like 10 anime episodes and such.
if they dont, then damn, they are killing some peoples wallets.

I don't see any company putting more eps on a disc as they do now since they'd sell less discs and make less money. The storage capacity of the disc is so it can handle higher resolution images rather than more eps in the current resolution :lol:

I can see the blu-ray format finding its niche in the world of HD-TV but as Ninja and Necro rightly point out, the capacity of the discs may not be suited the way in which anime series are sold right now. If a distributor is really generous, they could sell an entire thirteen ep series on one disc but it would be treated in the same way as a full series box set but a noticeable reduction in package size. In order to make the profits, the single blu-ray disc would have to be the same price as a box set!

I think the determining factor will be how the blu-ray format as a whole fares with competition from other packaged media such as HD-DVD, as well as digital downloading. Nobody wants the digital equivalent of a Betamax collecting dust in their attic.

I don't think either of these new formats will take off, they will probably be just be a niche like laserdisk. The future is with broadband streaming.

Guyver 0 said:
I was wondering why this would be the first? surely there are anime titles more worthy? Akira? Ghost in the shell? Ninja scrolls?

Its because Blu-Ray is Sony's format and Sony own the Metropolis license. Im guessing this means Blu-Ray DVD releases somewhere in the world for the Bebop movie and eventually Blood+ aswell *dosent know much about Sonys back catalogue*

Mangaminx said:
Guyver 0 said:
I was wondering why this would be the first? surely there are anime titles more worthy? Akira? Ghost in the shell? Ninja scrolls?

Its because Blu-Ray is Sony's format and Sony own the Metropolis license. Im guessing this means Blu-Ray DVD releases somewhere in the world for the Bebop movie and eventually Blood+ aswell *dosent know much about Sonys back catalogue*
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children is another one of their licences but I suspect they feel it is possibly too close to the original release date to get any real sales of this and Metropolis was a fairly successful release in anime terms.

cornixt said:
I don't think either of these new formats will take off, they will probably be just be a niche like laserdisk. The future is with broadband streaming.
I don't think internet streaming is quite consistently good enough at this time and is not accessible to enough of the world's population to make it a viable medium. When it becomes good quality without regular drop-outs occurring due to the nature of the internet and when the standard in PCs/media viewers and internet connections is high enough to be reliable then it will become a major source of home entertainment.

Ah! Metropolis! Now there's a title that will make me rush and buy an expensive machine I have absolutely no need for!

Using the investigative tools that have been taught, find the sarcasm in the above sentence. [4]

cornixt said:
I don't think internet streaming is quite consistently good enough at this time and is not accessible to enough of the world's population to make it a viable medium. When it becomes good quality without regular drop-outs occurring due to the nature of the internet and when the standard in PCs/media viewers and internet connections is high enough to be reliable then it will become a major source of home entertainment.[/quote]

The new high definition formats don't offer anything more than higher image and sound quality, at this time at least. The extra cost won't be seen as worth it for some time, most people don't even have HD tv sets. In just a couple of years there will be hundreds of online tv and movie downloads available, like a film version of iTunes, and broadband will have increased even more. Caching can remove most problems with unreliable connections.

Just the way I see it.

cornixt said:

I hope not otherwise I'm going to have too sell my house and relocate, :) come on BT get your finger out.

kupoartist said:
Ah! Metropolis! Now there's a title that will make me rush and buy an expensive machine I have absolutely no need for!

Using the investigative tools that have been taught, find the sarcasm in the above sentence. [4]
Let's all agree with kupoartist, it's easier that way, no sarcasm.

Anime is already at a rather low-ish resolution. Most fansubs, at 170MB an episode, are even watchable on a full sized TV screen, and DVDs are even better. How much will Blu-Ray, or HD-DVD for that matter, improve our favourite form of entertainment is really what I'll be asking.

Back