The 'D' Word

kupocake

Stand User
Bored people start here -> No, not a mild term for a part of masculine anatomy, or a derisive term for women of a certain lifestyle. Or 'Diversity' or the mildest curse word in the non-American English dictionary. Or any other 'D' term in the dictionary or wider English Language that I've omitted (god damn the DeLorean anyway). I'm talking about the 'D' word apparently outlawed in all civilized conversation among Anime fans. The cursed company name that receives little more than a cursory glance from even the more credible anime commentators. That great defiler of Japanese animation! That plunderer of the cave of Kimba! That filthy revisionistic swine who misrepresented Ms Okino's hot beverage preference!

(We're talking about Disney if you're not on the same page yet.)

Ok, so opinions on the Mouse House aren't quite that extreme among the Anime UK News forum goers, and that's kind of the issue. It's difficult to sense whether most have an opinion. There have been scarce mentions of the company in the forum's history, and there is a very narrow range of reasons behind those mentions. When it comes to Disney, people are typically talking about:

1. How Disney made the Ghibli dubs and how they relate to Ghibli film distribution. Occasional mentions of something Disney changed for the worse.
2. Kimba/Lion King name drops, brief discussion of both sides of the controversy, resulting apathy over the issue with the sense that Disney is the villain.
3. Watching Disney as a child. (And corresponding lack of 'I watched a Disney movie yesterday' and resulting lack of discussion)
4. Watching and disliking anything recently distributed by Disney.
5. Similar opinions about anything Disney made in Live-Action recently (High School Musical anyone?)
6. Kingdom Hearts and how you totally played it for the Final Fantasy bits.
7. Pixar

Not an impressive body of debate for a company whose animation output runs into unimaginable numbers of cels and computerised art assets, whose more notable works underpin animation history and have influenced countless Japanese animators / mangaka, and whose movies have surely been a leg up for many Anime fans. So why is this? I suppose that top of the list of reasons why there is so little in the way of Disney discussion is that the films represent everything the Anime fan is turning away from in becoming an anime fan. A big part of Anime fandom seems to be justifying your love of animation in the face of public perception that it is 'for kids'. To say you watch and enjoy Disney movies undermines that, even when you'r enjoying them on some campy nostalgic level. The problem for me is that i've slowly worked my way into this very situation, and i've come here to tell you all (in a long, irritating and protracted way) that I love Disney Movies, may the anime overlords be damned!

Yes, that's where i've been for most of the last year, animeuknews.net!. It was inevitable once I got into anime in 2003. I hadn't been into animated movies since childhood (though I watched Pixar's movies the same as most of the rest of the world), but I've always loved musicals... so once I started watching animation, and started getting progressively more interested in the medium as much as the stories that were told, watching Disney movies made more sense than was healthy. Now, I'm hardly buried in Disney DVDs, but the signs are all there that this is slowly becoming a new obsession of mine. The endless and pointless internet research. The RSS feed subscriptions. The constant hovering over retailer's sales pages to get the best deal on something I've never actually watched but suspect I'll love. That night I and two friends salvaged a crap night out by watching The Little Mermaid and singing every single musical number loud enough to keep everyone awake until unnatural hours (we learnt that night the all important fact that 'King Triton is the Alan Sugar of Disney', though we're not entirely sure what my friend meant by that, and probably don't want to know).

Bottom line is, I haven't been this intrigued by something since Anime itself. In fact, I've watched so little Anime recently, that I would be declaring that particular obsession dead in the water were it not for the fact that it is really the same obsession: The best of Anime isn't as far from the best of Western animation as the silence on the topic in each circle would have you believe.

Sensible People Start Here -> So the function of my babbling? Let's talk Disney! Have you watched any of their classics recently? and do you actually agree that they're classics, or are they just crappy manufactured kids movies with questionable messages? Do you bewail the death of 2D animation, or rejoice in the felling of a directionless monster? Most importantly, will Disney's hold on all animation dictate the death of 2D animation worldwide, or are we on the verge of a 2D renaissance after a glut of rubbish 3D films? Could Disney in fact revive the 2D form after years of Japan's sole support of the form?

I watched Aladin last week while I was decorating as Robin Williams as the Genie always cracks me up. I like the simplicity of the movie, basically I can have it on in the background and not have to keep looking at the screen to see whats happening as everything is explained through the dialogue.

Lion King - this is a drinking film... what I mean is whenever my mate Andy comes to visit (he lives abroad), we usually end up back from the pub at about 1am with this film on laughing our asses off and singing along, this is a tradition harking back to our days at uni.

I much preferred there 2D offerings, it looked better and had a disney feel to it, the new 3D films look so generic with no real artistic style, what I mean is you see a 2D film and something deep in the back of your brain is yellingits a disney, the style look and feel tell you that. But 3D all seems to look the same I have no idea which are disney when I watch them and to tell you the truth the stories don't seem as good as they did in the past, maybe its because it feels like they are concentrating more on the technology than the soul of the piece they are working on.

I'm sick of Disney's ****** sequals, I don't want "ALADDIN AND THE KING OF KFC" I want some -new- original works, last good Disney movie I watched was uh... Tarzan. Although a lot of work on their CGI movies are amazing, each one is a rescue movie, GUARANTEED, which pisses me off. [Not seen "Meet the Robinsons" though.] Disney animated series FTW though, Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Gummi Bears [childhood favourite], Goof Troop, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Aladdin the animated series, Little Mermaid the animated series, 1990s Disney was so much win, why does most of the stuff they make suck now? OH ****, I forgot the mention the Gargoyles, such an epic mature Disney animation.

Btw Kingdom Hearts was good... for the Disney characters, not the generic angsty FF characters, minus Setzer and Vivi.

EDIT: Also, whether you like it not Disney Animation will mostly ALWAYS be better than Japanese animation, in terms of quality and consistant style.

Lupus Inu said:
EDIT: Also, whether you like it not Disney Animation will mostly ALWAYS be better than Japanese animation, in terms of quality and consistant style.
I don't know about that. It always seems too... bouncy for my liking.

Sy said:
Lupus Inu said:
I don't know about that. It always seems too... bouncy for my liking.
It usually 'flows' better with more frames per second, but Anime tends to be more visually impressive... though both things can be somewhat down to the impression of an individual.

Michel Ocelot said:
I love the early Disney movies. Although for me, Disney stops at Sleeping Beauty. After that, he does products. Before that he made beautiful films, and there was the sense that he's trying to be better all the time and not scrimping on money or effort ever. After that, he just stopped.
Sleeping Beauty is also – probably – my favourite of them; it's a little more elegantly stylised than any others I can think of.

I'm frankly quite sick of people revealing the open secret that The Lion King is a complete (and inferior) rip-off of Tezuka's Jungle Taitei. It is, of course, but so Disney's other films from period. Their Aladdin is, more than anything an animated remake of the 1940 Thief of Bagdad (some scenesbeing reproduced almost exactly) while also plagarising a few other things from the much geater animated tribute The Thief and the Cobbler, which died as a direct result of this. The Little Mermaid stole elements of Tôei's 1975 adaptation, while their Beauty and the Beast was a combination of Jean Cocteau's La Belle et la bête, Lev Atamanov's Alenkiy tsvetochek and Michel Ocelot's La Légende du pauvre bossu.

They seemed to have to took a turn for the better more recently, with such uncharacteristically individualistic films as Chris Sanders' Lilo & Stitch. If you like that film at all I highly recommended that you see his Web site – http://www.chrissandersart.com – to see a fuller extent of his imagination.

Lupus Inu said:
Disney animated series FTW though, Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Gummi Bears [childhood favourite], Goof Troop, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Aladdin the animated series

Hell yeah, i loved those too, Sunday morning Disney Club
:D

I've watched underdog last saturday, for the sake of nostalgia...
I love beauty and the beast and all pixar. I do believe they did a great job on many (not all) Ghibli dubs.

Well, I've seen the Jungle Book enough times that it's imprinted on the back of my eyes like hair on soap.

Last thing I watched was Lion King (the first one), and I didn't exactly see all of it, but the thing about the old Disney movies that always amazed me, and still does; was the quality of animation.

Like what's already been said, they should definitely consider making some touched up 2d animation projects somewhere down the line. Maybe not full movies, but a short series or similar, as I've watched about 2% of the 3d wank they've been excreting over the last decade or so.

It should've ended with Toy Story. :twisted:

I like a good bit of Disney. Old stuff like Fantasia and Pinocchio are damn cool, but there's also some more recent stuff that is half decent (I'm in a minority, but I love Emperor's New Groove).

There seemed to have been a glut of naff films in the 1970s and 80s but there were a few good ones in in 90s imo. Ignoring the whole Kimba issue, Lion King would have been so much better if it weren't for those damn songs! They kill any kind of dramatic tension in the story. :x Bad Disney, bad!

Hell, I even liked Chicken Little, although Home on the Range is probably one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Disney's Hercules is of course a very different type of film though; a parody rather than a retelling – and Monsieur Ocelot was referring to the films which Walt Disney himself was involved in. ;)

Though if we were to apply that to Disney features in general, you could say that Hercules was where they started to "start" again, in a different, post-modern form. However, what I find most apparent these days is that while the staff at Disney have a lot of good ideas and intentions, almost all of this genuine talent and imagination is stifled by the animation's requirement to be a product – to sell Happy Meals and pencil cases and so on – rather than a work of art itself. Essentially, this means it has to lack controversy, to not offend anyone and appease everyone within its target audience, to get zero complaints from (American) test audiences and a 'U' rating rather than a 'PG'.

And have any of you been keeping track of the tree upcoming Disney features – Bolt, The Princess and the Frog and Rapunzel? The first two of those have already been stifled; I'm still excited about Rapunzel (which was un-stifled from a Shrek rip-off called Rapunzel Upbraided) but I can only expect that this too will go the same way soon enough.

I hardly watched any Disney at all growing up (just Bambi) which I gather is pretty weird. There are still plenty of movies from them I've never seen, and likely never will, though I love KH - not just the FF bits :p - so get the gist of some of the missed content there.

I saw Aladdin and Lion King later on and enjoyed both - even got the soundtracks. I wish they'd credit the influences for The Lion King but despite its sordid origin it's a solid film with fantastic music. What I really loved though, was Gargoyles. Naturally it was therefore canned after a terrible final season but the first couple were brilliant and I don't care who animated it. I just wish they'd release the rest on DVD :(

On that note I also hate how Disney withhold distribution of their key films periodically to increase value of rereleases and encourage first week purchasing spikes. I missed the Lion King DVD (I have the VHS) this time around and now have to wait goodness knows how many years to buy a new copy again. I want to show it to my little brother when he's old enough - he'll end up a loser like me who missed all the popular films growing up otherwise!

I don't think it's fair to compare Disney's mega blockbuster films with anything less than the same level of anime. Aladdin vs Slayers TV isn't going to be close on animation quality for good reason. Whereas held up against Akira, both stand up in different ways.

R

While undoubtedly evil in intent, that practice – if we look on the bright side of things – does, theoretically, have the positive side-effect of giving an opportunity for something like Kirikou and the Sorceress (or, indeed, Kimba: The White Lion/Jungle Emperor Leo, if we include R1) to be purchased while The Lion King and Sleeping Beauty are out of print. But then, in the way of this, there's problem of getting these other to know that such things even exist.

And while we're vaguely on the subject, I should mention how the Russian state-funded studio Soyuzmultfilm, while cut off from the west by the iron curtain, happened to make a few films based on source materials which had also been adapted by Disney – specifically, the Mowgli (Maugli), Winnie-the-Pooh (Vinni-Puh) and Alice (Alisa) stories – and these make for interesting comparisons. In my experience, the Russian versions diverge even further from the source material; they're shorter and perhaps less "technically" skilled, but are so much more abstracted and creative in their visual look. There are also a couple of paint-on-glass animations based on the Dr. Seuss stories Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose and Horton Hears a Who!
96.jpg

film_2279_07.jpg
film_3482_04.jpg

Back