The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

Coming to the Normanic Vault is...

feekPGs.gif

GANGSTA.: Complete Series
Collector's Edition Blu-ray

As the Funimation Clearance sale was coming to a close I decided to go for the second batch of orders. GANGSTA. was one of those Anime Limited releases that I wasn't sure if I wanted to own or not, and when the series got snapped back in April 2019 I wasn't that bothered by it. But I know the anime has a bit of a following because I've heard it's actually pretty decent outside of the ending which is abrupt due to Manglobe's demise. When the Clearance sale came to be, GANGSTA. was there for £14.99 and I gave it some thought, but I eventually decided to go for it since it is a CE that honestly, I liked the design over the Funimation US release.

zyoDV02.gif

Lucky Star: Complete Series
Standard Edition Blu-ray

One of the first batches of TV anime that I watched when I started getting into anime and that was 8 years ago. Eventually, Anime Limited did rescue the series and offer a CE but at the time I didn't bother. The reason was that the show was an upscale and I wanted to own both formats but that mentality wasn't the best of ideas. When Funimation re-released the series under the Essentials range, they dropped the DVDs which meant that the on-disc bonus features were also omitted as well from the DVD side. So there were two options; go for the Anime Limited standard which went on sale for £9.99 at the Clearance, or import the original Funimation combo pack which would be around £30. I decided to stick to the UK release.

2nAUDRf.gif

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion the Movie III: Glorification

The third and final film of the retelling/reimagining trilogy is finally coming soon so it was to be expected for me to order this. Now I have yet to actually watch the first two films but I plan to watch them all close together.

yGcfkBh.gif

Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin V-VI: Chronicle of the Loum Battlefield

I had missed out on the early bird offer back in November, but I am glad that it was included in the 20% off sale from MVM. I have watched Origin I-IV from back in September 2018 so I am happy to finish off the OVA series at some point this month or the next depending on how fast the shipping is.

(no fun image due to series spoilers)

Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 1
Limited Edition Blu-ray & DVD

Yep that's right, the first part and not the second lol. Long story short, it's taken me this long to get Season 3 Part 1's limited edition so I decided to get it right now as the stock levels for the UK version was low. In fact I think I picked up the very last copy left from UP1 and they shipped it out in like 15 minutes after I had ordered it.

qJNYJrX.gif

SSSS.GRIDMAN

This show was a surprise to watch and I liked it enough to consider the limited edition version. Happy that Manga was able to bring it over to the UK and thanks to MVM's 20% off sale I saved a fair bit of money for that.

9asdfZx.gif

ZOMBIE LAND SAGA Season 1

Like GRIDMAN, this series was also a surprise to watch and I very much enjoyed it enough that I am looking forward to checking out Season 2 (ZOMBIE LAND SAGA REVENGE) when that airs. Much like GRIDMAN, I also ordered this through MVM's 20% off sale.

So basically SSSS.Gridman and Zombie Land Saga are clones of the US LE editions, except they don’t contain DVD’s, correct ?
Complete clones (maybe with the exception of the artwork used on the amaray cases, but the standard edition ones are solid enough).

The LE sets by Funimation in the US interestingly are combo packs, whereas the standard edition is Blu-ray only. Manga's release also keeps the combo pack format on the LEs.

Yeah. I decided to stick to the UK versions because £37 is a better offer than £50-65. Plus, given how fast the Manga replicas sell, pre-ordering is the better option at this point.
Yeah they’re almost all gone within the first few days of release. Couldn’t get a copy of Goblin Slayer in time.

Yeah they’re almost all gone within the first few days of release. Couldn’t get a copy of Goblin Slayer in time.
If it helps and it's not exactly cheap, but Amazon US still has a couple of units left for the US version (which is Region B compatible).

If it helps and it's not exactly cheap, but Amazon US still has a couple of units left for the US version (which is Region B compatible).
Thanks for pointing it out though I think I’ve sourced a copy elsewhere now luckily. There was a copy briefly in Fopp Covent Garden but it was £60(?) and was damaged by one of those horrendous security devices they strap to boxsets like some sort of explosive.

Thanks for pointing it out though I think I’ve sourced a copy elsewhere now luckily. There was a copy briefly in Fopp Covent Garden but it was £60(?) and was damaged by one of those horrendous security devices they strap to boxsets like some sort of explosive.
Yeah. When it comes to Funimation and their limited edition sets going out of print, I always found Amazon US to be the one that survives a lot longer and it had been very handy with Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody when that got released (TL;DR sold out immediately, Amazon had stock for at least 1 month).

Yeah. When it comes to Funimation and their limited edition sets going out of print, I always found Amazon US to be the one that survives a lot longer and it had been very handy with Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody when that got released (TL;DR sold out immediately, Amazon had stock for at least 1 month).
Yeah I was lucky getting a copy of that. Did it ever get a SE release?

Yeah I was lucky getting a copy of that. Did it ever get a SE release?
So far it hasn't. It's a bizarre choice by Funimation (and the publisher is Avex who also handled Yuri!!! on ICE, so I doubt it's a licensing decision). I suspect at the time Funimation were experimenting on the older model of LE first, SE later (Shakugan no Shana Season 2 Part 1, Shiki Part 1 and Steins;Gate Part 1 as examples of the older model).

(no fun image due to series spoilers)

Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 1

Yep that's right, the first part and not the second lol. Long story short, it's taken me this long to get Season 3 Part 1's limited edition so I decided to get it right now as the stock levels for the UK version was low. In fact I think I picked up the very last copy left from UP1 and they shipped it out in like 15 minutes after I had ordered it.

SSSS.GRIDMAN

This show was a surprise to watch and I liked it enough to consider the limited edition version. Happy that Manga was able to bring it over to the UK and thanks to MVM's 20% off sale I saved a fair bit of money for that.

ZOMBIE LAND SAGA Season 1

Like GRIDMAN, this series was also a surprise to watch and I very much enjoyed it enough that I am looking forward to checking out Season 2 (ZOMBIE LAND SAGA REVENGE) when that airs. Much like GRIDMAN, I also ordered this through MVM's 20% off sale.

Funnily enough that's almost identical to me. I just grabbed S3 part 1 today because I saw the box in HMV, it's been there for ages, and just had a glance online knowing that part 2 was coming out soon. Then immediately realised there weren't that many of the box left.

Gridman as well had that good deal. I'll have to briefly pass with Zombie Land saga for this sale and instead grab it from Zavvi though. Got a 10% code there, and while it might not be as good as 20% it does mean I won't have to pay for it until it ships.

Think that's bad, I actual had a copy pre-ordered. Then after a few days after the release they finally cancelled my order saying they couldn't source anymore stock. Had to hunt the stupid thing down at a ridiculous cost, and even then barely grabbed one before the price shot up even higher. Gave me a lesson though. If it's a series I think I really want, order immediately. It'll cost more down the line otherwise if it is popular and it goes out of print.

Back