Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Roadie

School Idol
Anyone watching this at the moment? Its currently on 8 episodes so far. Think I read its from the team behind FLCL (could be totally wrong though). Love the art, the style and basically everything about it.

Its a comedy and utterly stupid at points. I don't really want to say anything to ruin some of the bits that'll put a smile on your face. Its basically starts out as Kamina (blue hair and cape) and simon (the other lad) living in a village underground within a tribe. Kamina wants to go top side (they don't know whats up there) but the village chief won't allow it. Eventually due to certain events they meet Yoko (the girl in the picture) and go top side. Beastmen that drive Ganmen (mechs in other words) rule the surface and like simon's village there are more scattered across the planet. Kamina being who he is basically declares war on the race of beastmen, then they set out on an adventure with some others.

I've been watching it and loving it, it's one of the most out-and-out fun series out there at the moment. I'm interested in seeing where they're going to go with it now, after ep 8.

If you liked this, give Kotetsushin Jeeg a try. It's similarly fun mecha watch that doesn't take itself too seriously, that's not quite as wacky.

Its a pretty crazy show, makes me feel like I've been doing drugs or somat :? Still, its often hilarious thanks to Kamina's overzealous antics and the animation is very nice at times

I'm really enjoying it. I'd say it was my fave show at the moment, if there weren't so many really high quality series airing right now. Still, the visual style is great, the characters are really larger than life and the mecha designs are pretty wild. One or two of the episodes went a bit filler-ish and meandering but the latest two (#7 and #8 at the time of writing) were excellent.

The story's taken a sharp turn and since it's Gainax who are in charge there's no telling where it's headed!

Tried getting into this but the giant heads in the first ep somehow put me off, I found myself wandering off while it was on.

Kinda lost me at about episode 6, but watched up to 8 after getting a big hint something was going to happen in it. While what happened got me curious as to what's going to happen for the rest of the series, doubt it'll be remembered as one of the all time greats. Very much balls over brains series, and while fun enough in places still kinda meh overall

I love Yoko! Wait till people start cosplaying (badly) as her >.< It is made by Gainax though, and I do love nearly every anime done by Gainax!

Junipurr said:
I love Yoko! Wait till people start cosplaying (badly) as her >.< It is made by Gainax though, and I do love nearly every anime done by Gainax!

even the horrendous ''This Ugly Yet Beautiful World'' ?

Junipurr said:
If it's made my Gianax which means i'll be at decent until the last few episodes when it will plumb the very depths of FAIL
And as for the cosplay ....

I liked it, so there :p

As for people thinking GAINAX will f*ck up the ending for this I disagree, theres way too much money behind this which is usually the main reason why GAINAX balls up the endings of their shows, that and not enough time, and judging by a panel they did at Fanime about the show, it sounds like there pretty close to finishing work on the series alltogether (and remember, when it was announced they said it had the potential to become multiple series so the show may not have a definitive ending at all).

Ramen89 said:
As for people thinking GAINAX will f*ck up the ending for this I disagree, theres way too much money behind this which is usually the main reason why GAINAX balls up the endings of their shows
There was a lot of money in the Star wars prequels and they ballsed that up.

Ramen89 said:

I liked it, so there :p

I still own the DVDs, clueless as to why now i think about it. And haven't seen it in its entirety, only seen up to 8 available on the DVDs. Now i am disappointed it has a poor ending.

Now i am disappointed it has a poor ending.

I think the ending of it is actually quite good, it all goes a bit mental in the last few episodes which is what I liked about it.

There was a lot of money in the Star wars prequels and they ballsed that up.

George Lucas ballsed them up, not that it mattered, they still made crap loads of money, but I digress.

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

EASILY my favourite anime right now. Has the possibility to go down as one of my most favourite ever. The show is filled with burning spirit.

Episode 8 Spoiler: RIP Lord Kamina, the most badass anime character to ever live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sage said:
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

EASILY my favourite anime right now. Has the possibility to go down as one of my most favourite ever. The show is filled with burning spirit.

Episode 8 Spoiler: RIP Lord Kamina, the most badass anime character to ever live.

Yeah, a friend spoiled that one for me before I watched it. I thought (or perhaps I should say hoped) he was joking). Alas no :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back