Tech Help w/External HDD!

shira

Shinigami
Hai guys,

Basically my Father has this 1TB external HDD for his computer. Now, we had this issue where despite the fact there was only like 150GB of stuff on there, it was flashing up as like, 300-350GB. So anyways, we backed all the data up and formatted the HDD, and just put 60GB of stuff on- already it's saying he's used 130GB.

I thought it was a virus or something, hence the format- but it I have no clue now. It's a Seagate

Thanks for any help!

If you got it from amazon then yes they are legally obliged to give you either a full refund or a replacement.

the warranty is stated on that amazon page.

*sigh* formatting anything doesn't mean it destroys a virus too. try scanning the HDD with a virus software and see how that goes, you'll probably find that your machine has been turned into a zombie, either a website you've been on or something you've downloaded has probably got onto the machine and soaking up space... in which case... you need to scan and destroy it.

failing that it could just be the pc calculating the size wrong. try cleaning it. might be dust blocking signals.

anyway, further to all of that... it'll be time to then call the people you bought it off. (personally, i'd buy a router with its own firewall if its a virus, although a anti virus software is helpful at blocking harmful data, a router with a built in firewall blocks it alot more successful and is harder to take down, it only takes a virus good enough to get through your firewall and it could corrupt part of your antivirus. then your buggered. a router/firewall - less chance of that happening)

Back