Syfy UK

On April 13th sci fi will change their name to syfy to show a wider amount of shows than just sci fi
in America they used to show anime on sci fi like uk but stopped but when they rebranded they started the Ani-Monday 2 hour slot where they showed anime like monster, tokko and some others at 11pm to compete with adult swim
I know the ratings are crap over there but they're still showin stuff
What is the likeliness of them airing anime here where there's no competition and frankly no really good shows on sci fi

I honestly don't think it will happen but I would like it to happen because i haven't seen those anime and would like the awareness to build up not iust from ghibli
I would like to hear about your views on it so start typing

It won't happen, the name change is literally just a name change here. Sci-Fi UK haven't shown anime in a long time, and its the same management. It's a bigger deal for the US, really. Our channel showed fantasy shows already.

They have a twitter presence, so you could bug them, but its just a make-over. Nothing more.

While as a supporter of phonetic spelling I approve of this name change (and hope the word "sy-ense" follows suit) it should at least be hyphenated to prevent people pronouncing it "Siffy".

Personally I dislike the bastardisation of spellings like this. Spelling should not be lowered to the level of the lowest common denominator. We get taught how to do it properly for a minimum of eleven years for crying out loud.

I do not like this rebranding. When I scroll down the TV listings on my Skybox it will just look just some Welsh channel now.

Sci-fi is long past its best though. I miss the times when they would show Nadesico and Evangelion. Not only that, but Saiko-Exciting on Saturday morning! That was awesome! I still have some of it on VHS.

ayase said:
While as a supporter of phonetic spelling I approve of this name change (and hope the word "sy-ense" follows suit) it should at least be hyphenated to prevent people pronouncing it "Siffy".

Surely it should be spelt "Si-Fi" then?

I do not like this rebranding. When I scroll down the TV listings on my Skybox it will just look just some Welsh channel now.

Go read some Welsh Muts... -_-

If it wos sensibl it wooden't teyk soh long.

You honestly think our language is to complicated? :? Surely you grasp that some learn faster than others. The reason you learn it for 11 years is so those that have a love of the language can learn it at a more advanced level, and those who struggle with it have longer to learn it.

It really doesn't need to be made more simple. I honestly can't see how it's that bad

Chun Li said:
ayase said:
Surely it should be spelt "Si-Fi" then?
That could be pronounced "see-fee" just as sci-fi could be pronounced "sky-fy" or "skee-fee". Sy-fy leaves no room for mispronounciation.

I don't consider it too complicated personally, but I'd still like to see English simplified. It's already changed a lot over time anyway. This made absolute sense IMO.

I thought they could not get any worse after endlessly showing Emmanuelle in space and other such soft core horrors.

Renaming it to SyFy is just backing up the fact that kids can't spell (or write) properly to save their lives these days.

Chun Li said:

Go read some Welsh Muts... -_-

I can't read any. :p In my ignorance I consider 'Syfy' to look more Welsh than any other language. Plus, Welsh is the only non-English language to get anywhere near the mainstream channels in terms of its position on the Sky channel guide.

Really, if your reading it as See Fee, the hyphen wouldn't make a difference at all, and really, this conversation has been done to death elsewhere. It's a odd move for a name, I personally would have gone for something like The SF but whatever. I think there slogan is worse - "Imagine Greater" my ass.

Hmmmm, perhaps a splitting of the thread would be best? Especially since the off-topic conversation is more interesting than the topic itself now.

To me, this represents some of what is fundamentally wrong with the modern world today. As humans we are gifted with intelligence and the ability to learn. Millions of people across the world have learnt English as a second language and they succeed.

Anime on sci fi back then is what got me so curious about it when I was in collage, my friend would go on about this show and that, I can't remeber what I watched back then, but it was good times!

About the spelling, it just reminded me so much about the name change from Jif to Cif advert, pretty sure that was changed for the same reason.

Duskin said:
Anime on sci fi back then is what got me so curious about it when I was in collage, my friend would go on about this show and that, I can't remeber what I watched back then, but it was good times!

About the spelling, it just reminded me so much about the name change from Jif to Cif advert, pretty sure that was changed for the same reason.

Jif became Cif because apparently the 'J' sound in Jif is almost noexistent in mainland European languages and thus the name was tricky for them. Seeing as the company wanted to sell their product, they changed the name to make it easier to market to their customers in mainland Europe.

What about the name change of Oil of Ulay to Olay?

Part of the reason our language has changed has been owed to erroneous spellings. In 200 years, if sci-fi is legitimately spelled sy-fy, then I would deem the scenario not dissimilar to transformations that have occured since the language came to be. Heck, words like 'langage' were only respelled as 'language' to make it appear similar to the Latin equivalent. And that was done because it was fashionable.

Our language changes because it's alive; it's a fabulous process! Those languages that do not change are the ones that are dead--like Latin. Embrace change, friends!

Dang linguistics! :x

Back