Suggesting titles to publishers?

setokaiba

Student Council President
So, lately I've been thinking about all of the series I want to see published... I think some of them would do really well in the English market, they're just currently untapped.
I was thinking, obviously one person's suggestion probably won't do much (or anything at all) but is it worth perhaps "pitching" and suggesting these to publishers? Is there a chance they will even consider or look into it? Do people do this? Who are the best publishers to try with?

I have interests in both classic and modern manga, but I figured modern would be my best shot to suggest since it's probably much easier to market and get licenses for.

Some companies do surveys asking for suggestions, for instance Seven Seas Entertainment licensed the Demon girl next door manga due to it being a popular response to their regular survey.

Seven Seas Delivers Magic to Fans with License of THE DEMON GIRL NEXT DOOR Manga Series | Seven Seas Entertainment
Seven Seas Entertainment is thrilled to announce the license acquisition of The Demon Girl Next Door by Izumo Ito, one of the top-requested series in the Seven Seas reader surveys.
Interesting!! I know that figure companies do this kind of thing, so I kind of wondered if manga publishers did too. How exactly do I get in on something like that?

Interesting!! I know that figure companies do this kind of thing, so I kind of wondered if manga publishers did too. How exactly do I get in on something like that?
With regards to Seven Seas just access the link on their site, here's a direct link: September 2021 - Seven Seas Entertainment Survey For other companies, I'm not sure, just check their websites.

Personally I enter Humanity has declined light novel every month for an English license.

With regards to Seven Seas just access the link on their site, here's a direct link: September 2021 - Seven Seas Entertainment Survey For other companies, I'm not sure, just check their websites.

Personally I enter Humanity has declined light novel every month for an English license.
Cheers for the link.
I went for If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die and Ekoda-chan mangas.

Cheers for the link.
I went for If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die and Ekoda-chan mangas.
Thank you!! I'm going to suggest See You At The Food Court Tomorrow and Yancha Gal no Anjou-san. I think the latter has a better chance since there's also been high public demand for it to be animated, but I'm going to suggest both!

Great question! And thanks for the survey - for manga I went with:

1. Bitter Virgin by Kei Kusunoki

2. From Eroica With Love by Yasuko Aoike

and for novel I went with:

1. Kino's Journey by Keiichi Sigsawa

2. The Story of Saiunkoku by Sai Yukino

Cheers for the link.
I decided to help you out and also suggested If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die this month. And I suggested See You At The Food Court Tomorrow again. This time I included a short 2 paragraph description/"pitch" for each manga which I'm not sure if it was a good/helpful idea or not but I thought it might be more eye catching when they sort through all the answers...

I have got my Japanese version of Food Court but please, I would love to see this published in English so badly. Probably my number one most wanted modern/recent manga for English publication.
szP0O0s.jpg

I checked this morning and it's still the September one, at least the one on the front page of the Seven Seas website is. Hopefully you haven't voted twice or your votes will be deleted, unless you used a different account 😉
Oops, I did use their link assuming it would be updated for October. Oh well, I'll try again when it's up :D It's an understandable mistake to make when they say it's monthly but they don't update it on the 1st of the month, haha.
Besides, I just want them to see it... I doubt they'd go "oh damn, this is such a good title, but someone submitted it twice so we can never publish it!"

Does anyone know if any other publishers besides Seven Seas officially accept suggestions? There's one I really want to suggest but it doesn't seem like something that Seven Seas would publish probably... it's a josei title and I can definitely see it more likely published in something like Shojo Beat.

Bookwalker has a suggestion form. Type in something that's not available in the search box and click the magnifying glass and it'll give you this page:
As you can see I have just tried it with Wasteful Days of High School Girls. I'm not sure whether they will start translating stuff with no official English release or whether it's supposed to be for stuff available, but not on the site. I request the same 2 as above a while ago, but to no avail yet.

The Seven Seas website still has the September reader survey on it for some reason.

Bookwalker has a suggestion form. Type in something that's not available in the search box and click the magnifying glass and it'll give you this page:
As you can see I have just tried it with Wasteful Days of High School Girls. I'm not sure whether they will start translating stuff with no official English release or whether it's supposed to be for stuff available, but not on the site. I request the same 2 as above a while ago, but to no avail yet.

The Seven Seas website still has the September reader survey on it for some reason.

They do have exclusive licenses, so the suggestions could be for either tbh.

Definately need to see the Hyouka manga and Novels get licensed given that we will probably not get season 2 and the only way to see the conclusion to the series will be in novel / manga format. The longer it takes to get licensed the less likely it will be :eek:

Back