Studio Ghibli or Pixar?

• Studio Ghibli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pixar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Espy

Thousand Master
Thought this would make a good discussion. Studio Ghibli and Pixar are almost each other's Eastern/Western equivalent - both revolutionary animation studios that have never really made a bad movie. Not to mention both studios are friends. But (and asking this on an anime forum might end up with some biased results), if you had to choose only one, which one?

I can't decide right now, but Cars 2 (yes, it's coming) will have to be pretty amazing for my opinion to stay that way...

Ghibli does have some really solid movies (Grave of the Fireflies being the strongest) but I've seen a lot of them and for many of them I simply didn't enjoy. Maybe it's the way in which they're told, the fairytale/fantasy enviroments of many or the character designs. Probably a mixture of all those and more but I found Miyazaki's films to be the one's that I got on with least. I find his Ghibli work for the most part dragged out, a little preachy at times and even quite boring.

I've enjoyed all of the Pixar movies so far and are something I will easily watch with my younger brother without any complaints. They do tend to pull out rescue stories a little too freely though. Entertaining films.

On sheer entertainment I'd go with the Pixar films. They seem to be more consistant in quality although I still feel that it's quite difficult to compare the two studios.

For me, Its Pixar. I've find their movies really enjoyable and I can't wait to see Wall-E and Toy Story 3, from their upcoming lot. Basically, It comes down to I find their storytelling much easier to get up and go, I instantly like the characters and the animation and from the start you know it won't be a waste of time. However, and its a big However, Pixar's shorts that they make that are not incorporated with Disney, I hate a awful lot and never really find them funny, at all.

With Ghibli, I can't say I've watched everything they've done but from what I've seen, Nothing really attaches me to it as much as a Disney flick. They look quite good, and they seem to tell a story more than Pixar, but I don't care for them, But, I haven't totally ignored what they've done and I will get around to watching more, Whenever I feel in the right "mood" for such a film.

I will say this. Although I do enjoy Pixar's movies I often miss cel animation, digital or otherwise. It seems that as far as these types of CGI movies go Pixar are one of the few studios to get it right and make it look good. Many CGI animated movies seem to look shoddy in my eyes. Beautifully animated cel films seem to be almost completely lost in favour of CGI. I find that quite sad.

Lupus Inu said:
Call me when Pixar doesn't do a rescue movie.
*Ring* *Ring*

A Bugs Life, Ratatouille and Cars aren't really rescue movies. Wall-E doesn't look like it's going to be one either. The Incredibles wasn't really either since that wasn't the main focus of the story.

*Click*

Sy said:
Lupus Inu said:
*Ring* *Ring*

A Bugs Life, Ratatouille and Cars aren't really rescue movies. Wall-E doesn't look like it's going to be one either. The Incredibles wasn't really either since that wasn't the main focus of the story.

*Click*

I'd say A Bug's Life was a rescue story, i mean the mismatched band of heroes are rescuing a entire colony after all. :p

Pixar are fun, i'll give them that but Ghibli has the breadth and depth. As others have said Pixar is pretty limited in their tales, they just havent got the range of My Neighbour Totoro to Princess Mononoke that Ghibli has.

I still like Pixar however, their films are great to relax and have a couple of laughs with, aside from Totoro ive got to be in the right mood to watch most Ghibli.

Liquid Skin said:
I'd say A Bug's Life was a rescue story, i mean the mismatched band of heroes are rescuing a entire colony after all. :p

I see the term rescue movie as a movie when someone gets kidnapped or lost and the movie's main focus is to go out and rescue that character. That's why I don't consider it to be a rescue movie.

Sy said:
Liquid Skin said:

I see the term rescue movie as a movie when someone gets kidnapped or lost and the movie's main focus is to go out and rescue that character. That's why I don't consider it to be a rescue movie.

Ah alrighty.

Sy said:
Lupus Inu said:
*Ring* *Ring*

*Click*

Doesn't he have to rescue his girlfriend-bot? The new trailer seemed to make out that she gets bot-napped.

Good to see a lot of Pixar voters - I thought we'd get a lot of anime fans going for Ghibli.

Neither.

I mean, I appreciate the merits (artistic and otherwise) of both studios, but Ghibli films usually fail to interest me and I've actively disliked every Pixar film I've seen. Pixar in particular disappoint me, becuase with their cash and abilities they could really make some great shows. But instead we get stuff like Toy Story and Finding Nemo.

Wake me up when Pixar make something non-rhetorical.

The day Pixar make a film with the slow-paced beauty of "Only Yesterday" or the heartbreaking truth of "Grave of The Fireflies" (I'm a Takahata fan) I might be interested.

Loved Toy Story as a kid, but as an adult there's always something far too wholesome and escapist about their (and actually, most american) animation. I like entertainment to make me think and reflect.

Close run thing but Pixar just piped the post. Animation wise it is like chalk and cheese, impossible to compare the two as they are so different. Pixar goes CGI whole hog and does its best to push the tech as far can and beyond, while Ghibli goes for the hand draw look often with stunning attention to detail. Story wise both use their tropes a fair amount. Pixar use the grand rescue alot, while Ghibli do the whole coming of age/ end of childhood. Ghibli also play it straight and are not afraid to scare kids, Pixar have their tongue so firmly in their check it would take surgery to remove and give a nod to all the parents watching as well. Only other difference is Pixar have always done original works, Ghibli tends to adapt more existing (if obscure) works.
The only reason I went for Pixar was its sense of humour.

I'm going with Ghibli pretty easily. They have entertained me a lot more, and in a lot more ways (different types of stories) than Pixar ever have.

Theres something about Ghibli films that enchant me no end. I much prefer their stories to that of Pixar. I love the settings in all the Ghibli films and they're always so whimsical.

Though i've gotta say Wall-E does looks quite interesting.

Sy said:
All the time? That must be pretty tiring.

Not necessarily all the time. I was watching Patlabor the other day and the sight of the SV2 team being chased along a sewer by a crocodile made my day. :D

Perhaps a better way of phrasing it is that every day the amount of the large swathe of entertainment on our screens (big and small) which appeals to me personally seems to grow smaller, and I think that's due to people constantly wanting more escapism, and less substance. A bit of entertainment for entertainment's sake is fine - And while Pixar are certainly nowhere near the worst offenders they don't challenge any conventions or push any barriers, In the way that I think Ghibli did, and still does.

They're both good at what they do. I'd favour Ghibli over Pixar; but that's just because I'm an anime fan and because I prefer the often darker, wierder tone of the films.

Thats a straight up ghibli for me, thoug Im not discounting Pixar by any means, Ive really quite enjoyed most of the pixar films Ive seen.

I voted Pixar. Well, firstly, I have seen many Pixar films, which I enjoyed; And only one Ghibli film. The Pixar films I have seen are amusing, short and a nice laugh. Whereas, the Ghibli films I have seen have been a bit more stretched out which makes you feel as if you are watching a movie; When Pixar will try and just make you relax, sit down, and enjoy the movie. I find Ghibli is ok, I just prefer pixar to be honest ;p.

Back