Stay warm with the greatest anime movies in NEO magazine 95

chaos

The Boss
The latest issue of the UK's anime, manga and Asian pop culture magazine, NEO, is on sale this Thursday, 23rd February, 2012. Featured inside is our round up of the greatest anime movies of all time, featuring our very own top ten list, plus contributions from NEO readers themselves!
NEO also contains previews of Fairy Tail and The New Prince of Tennis, interviews with Ryoo seung-wan (Arahan, Crying Fist, City of Violence, The Unjust) and Hiroshi Matsuyama (president of games developer CyberConnect2), reviews of the latest manga, anime and games, plus our usual Japanese fashion tutorials, exclusive Asian music news, Manga School art tutorials, and more! We also examine Korea's Japanese pop invasion with our in-depth analysis of the Oricon charts, and report on the continuing aid efforts in Japan, following the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami of 2011.
Our dedication to the UK scene continues with our celebration of cosplaying talent, and an examination of the hottest titles coming up in the UK market, including Samurai Girls, Gantz: Perfect Answer, Mirai Nikki, Persona 4, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, and Adrift in Tokyo. Also, look forward to our coverage of the biggest magical girls franchise the west has never seen, as we take on the ladies of Pretty Cure!
Check out issue 95 when it hits the shops on Thursday, 23 February - available in all good newsagents, WHSmith and branches of Tesco, for £4.25.
 

Ian Wolf

Symphogear
AUKN Staff
MaxonTreik said:
Let me guess; the top 10 includes at least three Studio Ghibli movies, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Redline and Cowboy Bebop.

You're about half right. The top ten are (in no particular order):

* Castle of Cagliostro
* The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
* 5 Centimetres Per Second
* Spirited Away
* Akira
* Ghost in the Shell
* Ninja Scroll
* Summer Wars
* Project A-ko
* Perfect Blue
 

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
Ian Wolf said:
MaxonTreik said:
Let me guess; the top 10 includes at least three Studio Ghibli movies, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Redline and Cowboy Bebop.

You're about half right. The top ten are (in no particular order):

* Castle of Cagliostro
* The Disappearance of Haruhi Syzymiya
* 5 Centimetres Per Second
* Spirited Away
* Akira
* Ghost in the Shell
* Ninja Scroll
* Summer Wars
* Project A-ko
* Perfect Blue
Not as bad as I thought. It would actually be solid if they removed Spirited Away.

Zin5ki said:
MaxonTreik said:
Is it not a little premature to include such a title?
Just because it's relatively new? That's stupid.
 

butch-cassidy

Straw Hat Pirate
Films should not be included in a list like this until they are at least 5 years old to get rid of the 'new = good' mentality.

Castle of Cagliostro , Project Ako, Ninja Scroll and Spirited Away shouldn't be within a mile of this list.

Where is Mononoke? Where is Eve no Jikan? Grave of the Fireflies? Millennium Actress? Mobile Suit Gundam? The Girl who leapt through time?

There are too many fantastic omissions from the list with too many weak films listed. :(
 
butch-cassidy said:
Castle of Cagliostro ... shouldn't be within a mile of this list.
!!!

No point complaining what is and what isn't in the list when there's a lot of great anime movies and only ten slots to occupy.

WHERE WINGS OF HONNEAMISE!? LUNATIC SMASH!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
butch-cassidy said:
Films should not be included in a list like this until they are at least 5 years old to get rid of the 'new = good' mentality.

Castle of Cagliostro , Project Ako, Ninja Scroll and Spirited Away shouldn't be within a mile of this list.
I don't understand what the hell is going on in this post. Why are you implying those films are less than five years old? Also, what the hell does the age of a film have to do with anything? There are more nostalgic idiot attitudes out there than this "new = better" attitude.
 

Y-San

Shinki
Mmmh, Neo aren't wrong, Haruhi truely was a beast of a film but I can't help but feel the list would be improved if Evangelion 2.22 was added.
 

butch-cassidy

Straw Hat Pirate
MaxonTreik said:
butch-cassidy said:
Films should not be included in a list like this until they are at least 5 years old to get rid of the 'new = good' mentality.

Castle of Cagliostro , Project Ako, Ninja Scroll and Spirited Away shouldn't be within a mile of this list.
I don't understand what the hell is going on in this post. Why are you implying those films are less than five years old? Also, what the hell does the age of a film have to do with anything? There are more nostalgic idiot attitudes out there than this "new = better" attitude.

I was highlighting those films as I don't believe they were that good in the first place, not because of the age otherwise I would have had disappearance on this list.

You just need to look at almost any top 10 movies or TV shows list. You'll find the hot thing of the day listed which quickly disappears in a few years. People vote for what they remember / recognise, not necessarily what is good. The older the release the less chance it will be listed and for all the wrong reasons.

Good highlight on Wings fabricatedlunatic, that should have been on my list! :eek:
 

memorium

Za Warudo
Ian Wolf said:
MaxonTreik said:
Let me guess; the top 10 includes at least three Studio Ghibli movies, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Redline and Cowboy Bebop.

You're about half right. The top ten are (in no particular order):

* Castle of Cagliostro
* The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
* 5 Centimetres Per Second
* Spirited Away
* Akira
* Ghost in the Shell
* Ninja Scroll
* Summer Wars
* Project A-ko
* Perfect Blue
They mad? The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is far better!

To be honest though, this entire lsit doesn't surprise me. I was half expecting Totoro or Mononoke to be there though.
 
Top