Spreading the Word

Haven't posed about "Spreading the Word" in this thread for quite a while, so I guess a bit of an update is in order. In 2018 I showed a 6th Studio Ghibli marathon to about 6 or 7 people, and then the biggest crowd I had was for a Violet Evergarden Marathon that covered two Sundays two weeks apart, and I had 9 people attend that one - again mostly to an older crowd in their 60's and 70's. They all really liked that series. I had one couple come back to start a marathon of Ancient Magus' Bride, they saw the three OVAs and the first 3 episodes of the series, but they haven't had a chance to come back to watch more.

My next door neighbors, the couple who are about 30 years old, still come over on a regular basis to watch anime in my basement theater. We did take a break from anime in the spring and summer for me to show them the 2004-2009 Battlestar Galactica series and Avatar: The Last Airbender, but we started back in with more anime in September. We recently finished Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, which they both absolutely loved, and are almost halfway through Ghost Hunt for the Halloween season. Sometimes another friend of mine comes over and watches anime with us, and sometimes the neighbors bring one of their friends with them to watch with us. The neighbor girl has also come over multiple evenings when her husband is busy studying for his online Accounting class, to see a few more Studio Ghibli movies - Howl's Moving Castle, From Up on Poppy Hill, and Ocean Waves - she wants to watch any Ghibli movies or other anime with a little bit of "romance" in them. We jokingly refer to those as "girly anime," titles that her husband would not be too interested in. She was over to watch Summer Wars two nights ago, and she is planning to come this evening to watch I Want to Eat Your Pancreas, which I just got in the mail yesterday.

So, I'm still actively spreading the word by showing anime to a lot of my friends! 👍

Last edited:
Thankfully I’m only half way to being pensionable, but I totally would if it were a few thousand miles more convenient - It’s great, honestly. They must be a pretty open minded bunch, I think most people that age I can imagine showing anime to would only tut and shake their heads and ask what the world is coming to.

Well, the only negative reaction I had from the geriatric crowd with any of the Studio Ghibli movies they saw was for Spirited Away - as they were watching the movie they wanted to know what the director was smoking when he made that movie... 🤣

Well, the only negative reaction I had from the geriatric crowd with any of the Studio Ghibli movies they saw was for Spirited Away - as they were watching the movie they wanted to know what the director was smoking when he made that movie... 🤣
They grew up in the ‘60s, they should know. Not like British old folks, who all seem to think they lived through WWII even if they were born a good decade after it ended.

Wolf Children is my favourite Hosoda film. All of them are very good. Actually need to rewatch Mirai at some point as I haven't seen it since the cinema release.
Interesting. I feel like I've never got into Wolf Children as much as the hype says I should. I'd put Boy and the Beast and his One Piece film above it. For me Summer Wars is his best by far. I can still remember the first time I watched it. I've never been so engrossed in a film I knew nothing about before watching it.

Maybe it's because I'm not a parent but I didnt really like Mirai. The child was so obnoxiously annoying that I just didn't care about him at all. I really wished the sister had been the MC as she was way more likeable and interesting.

Boy and the Beast and his One Piece
I need to rewatch Boy/Beast as well thinking about it, as I haven't seen it since I brought the Blu-ray years ago now.
I haven't seen his films from franchises, probably won't as I haven't watched anything from those franchises. I have heard that Summer Wars is basically a remake of his Digimon film.

I need to rewatch Boy/Beast as well thinking about it, as I haven't seen it since I brought the Blu-ray years ago now.
I haven't seen his films from franchises, probably won't as I haven't watched anything from those franchises. I have heard that Summer Wars is basically a remake of his Digimon film.
I didnt know that. Digimon isnt a franchise I watch so I probably wont ever watch it to be honest though I will say his One Piece film was surprisingly good. It's the first OP that is genuinely good and more than just fluff and filler but if you aren't already into the franchise I imagine theres a lot less there for a casual viewer.

Next batch is about to be sent out:
IMG_20211025_101833_2.jpg
Makoto Shinkai's turn. Forgot that Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days were on separate discs.
Unlike last year where I used Hosoda's (tenuous) link to Ghibli to include films by people who actually worked there, this I just included a couple to pad out the numbers a bit.

Forgot to post this. Already 2 weeks since my little sisters birthday!
This batch was Yuasa (Night is Short, Walk On Girl; Lu Over the Wall; Ride Your Wave and Inu-oh) and carrying on with historical settings (Sword of the Stranger; Fuse; Miss Hokusai; In This Corner of the World and Giovanni's Island) and Goodbye, Don Glees! to round it up to 10.
IMG_20231022_164335_5.jpg

Back