Spreading the Word

D1tchd1gger

Shrine Maiden
This is sort of a companion thread to the How do new anime fans get into the medium? thread. I noticed that most of the people who replied said they got into anime on their own and I've seen plenty of people say they don't know many people around them who aren't into anime. So the question is are there people here who did get into anime through someone else? and has anyone managed to get someone else hooked?

I've just sent of some of my DVDs from my Studio Ghibli Collection (with a little mini guide I made) to my little sister who is 11, hopefully she likes them and has some interest in anime from now on.

DSC_0212.JPG DSC_0213.JPG DSC_0214.JPG DSC_0215.JPG DSC_0216.JPG

For your first question, my two daughters were responsible for getting me started in anime, first with a couple Studio Ghibli movies and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, back around 2010 or 2011. They showed me Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky to start me out, then I watched a few more Ghibli movies on my own. Shortly after I stated checking out some anime series on Adult Swim on TV, and then anime on Netflix, and I was hooked.

As for the second question, about two years ago I started showing Studio Ghibli movies to family, friends, and neighbors in "Studio Ghibli Movie Marathons" that I host in my basement projection theater. I've held five Ghibli Marathons so far over the past couple years, about two per year. Here is my last Marathon web page I posted up on my Frey Theater website:

The FreyMAX 3D Projection Theater - Studio Ghibli Movie Marathon #5

We do these on a Sunday, starting at 1:00pm; I show two movies, then we break for supper and order out for sandwiches or pizza. After eating and snacking on other food items my guests bring along, and the popcorn I make in a commercial popper, we finish off the evening with the third movie, wrapping things up around 8:00 or 9:00 pm. Since I am in my 50's, it's generally an older crowd that I've gotten into Ghibli movies at least - most are in their 60's and 70's, and I've had one of my guest's 93 year old mother attend two of the Marathons, and she loves the Ghibli movies now. From these showings, I've got my mother, the next door neighbor couple, and a couple friends into other anime, and they now come visit regularly to watch full anime series on the big 120" projection screen over multiple evening viewing sessions. The couple next door are in their early thirties, and I've introduced them to the Ghost in the Shell movies, Appleseed movies, Psycho Pass, RWBY, and most recently, Last Exile. So, now I don't have to watch anime by myself all the time any longer!

My next Sunday marathon is probably going to be a RWBY Marathon, showing the first three volumes of the series to all these old farts, lol... though technically not anime, it's close enough!

Last edited:
my two daughters were responsible for getting me started in anime, first with a couple Studio Ghibli movies and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, back around 2010 or 2011...Since I am in my 50's
That's quite late in life then and probably quite a unique story on here, I'm not sure how many people here have kids, but it doesn't seem to be many. Maybe my dad might get into it too :D (if he watches any of the DVDs I sent).

it's generally an older crowd that I've gotten into Ghibli movies at least - most are in their 60's and 70's, and I've had one of my guest's 93 year old mother attend two of the Marathons, and she loves the Ghibli movies now.
Proves Ghibli is for everyone! :)

I'm not sure how many people here have kids, but it doesn't seem to be many.
I can think of at least a couple of members who did. I say did because we don't tend to see them around much any more, I wonder what could have caused that... :D

I certainly got my sister into anime just by watching stuff with her when I still lived at home. Our tastes have kinda diverged a bit since then as she's no longer just watching whatever I get, so it's always interesting to hear what she's been watching and trade recommendations. Pretty much every friend I've made in real life in the past few years has already been into anime, which again gives to opportunity to recommend each other stuff. I'm not sure I'd have tried a couple of shows without friends convincing me. Hell, I probably wouldn't even have tried Gundam, which I've grown to love, without @BlackWolf's recommendation (one of those lost to fatherhood, RIPIP).

I like the idea of giving away DVD copies from double plays or when upgrading to Blu-ray. Gives someone else a chance to watch something they might not otherwise take a chance on if they had to blind buy or subscribe to a streaming service. And without having to outfit a cinema like @Girls wIth Guns! Awesome that you're able to share your hobby with your community like that.

I can think of at least a couple of members who did. I say did because we don't tend to see them around much any more, I wonder what could have caused that... :D

Well, my daughters are almost 21 and almost 17 now, the oldest is away at college and the youngest is only at my house part-time, so my kids aren't really the big time issue they used to be when they were younger... So more free time for entertaining and anime! :)

Yeah, just working out the dimensions, I don't think I got a room in my entire house that would fit a screen that big :eek:
Would be nice though, I really must get round to winning the lottery one day ;)

My theater room setup is not overly special, but it gets the job done OK - I built it and upgraded it all myself, over a period of 10 years; nothing was professionally installed. It's in a big L-shaped room in my basement, 25 x 13 feet on the theater side, and 33 feet on the snack area side. The downside is the ceiling is low, only 6 1/2 feet (2 meters) high. If you happened to click on the Home button from my Studio Ghibli page, there are a few photos of my theater room if you scroll down the home page (I just updated the pages with my November Movie Night info):

The Frey Theater - 120" screen, 3D Blu-ray, & 5000 Watts of Audio!

I have seating for seven, but have entertained up to 12 people for my movie nights, adding a few extra chairs anywhere I can fit them - although it gets a bit crowded with that many people, lol! 6 or 7 is a comfortable crowd.

Last edited:
I can't say I've knowingly got people into anime although I've learned there are more 'closet' fans out there than more open fans. It seems that people, by and large, get into anime and things in general as a matter of curiosity. I've actually come across about 5 or 6 'fans' (either open fans or casual viewers) in work after just dropping the fact I'm into anime into conversation. For the most part people have multiple interests and it's just that anime doesn't register as high as others with them.

All I can say is if you are to get anyone into anything, a little exposure and their own inate curiousity will get them into one title eventually. After that it's up to them. You can't force someone to like what you like, no matter how much you point out what they're watching is anime, based on anime or how anime is better, etc.

Finally plucked up the courage to ask whether she actually liked any of them or not and thankfully she did (I'm not sure why I was so worried!). Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Totoro are her favourites
Sending my next batch:
Arrietty, Porco Rosso, The Wind Rises, Pom Poko, The Princess Kaguya and My Neighbours the Yamadas.

This leaves Nausicaä, Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Princess Mononoke, Tales from Earthsea and Ocean Waves. All a little more mature, I feel, for a 12 year old (although only Grave has a 12 rating).

Finally plucked up the courage to ask whether she actually liked any of them or not and thankfully she did (I'm not sure why I was so worried!). Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbour Totoro are her favourites
Sending my next batch:
Arrietty, Porco Rosso, The Wind Rises, Pom Poko, The Princess Kaguya and My Neighbours the Yamadas.

This leaves Nausicaä, Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Princess Mononoke, Tales from Earthsea and Ocean Waves. All a little more mature, I feel, for a 12 year old (although only Grave has a 12 rating).

Grave isn't offensive in the traditional sense and the violence is proportional to context. It is mature for a 12 rated film due to it's historical relevance and narrative, but it isn't sexuallised or grotesque in it's depiction. I would agree with you with-holding it though. Wait until she asks or shows interest otherwise ignorace is bliss :)

Just about to send the final batch of Ghibli films:
DSC_2435.JPG
Was going to add Mary and the Witch's Flower as a bonus, but it wasn't a combi so I don't have the DVD.
I could buy it and send it next year probably with the Hosoda films (I would need to buy The Boy and the Beast as well).

Awesome selection of Ghibli movies there, D1tchd1gger! Those are some of my most favorite Ghibli titles - all of them are in the top half of my Favorite Ghibli Movies list!

I brainwashed my niece with all this stuff when she was little. That and films like Willow and Labyrinth. I've started on my nephew now he's coming up to four and he seems to be more of a Spirited Away fan.

They're probably the more mature ones of the Ghibli films. She's turning 13, so about right.
After the Hosoda ones, I'm thinking the next batch could be the Shinkais.
After that, I've got all sorts of odd ones, maybe I'll include GitS 1&2, Akira, etc as they're 15s. Kon will have to wait till her 18th, because of Perfect Blue.

Tokyo Godfathers works though
Yeah. It's a 12, though I think sending them as collections is a cool way to do it.
TG and Paprika are ones that will need to be brought as only have Blu-ray. I have PB and Millennium Actress from the Manga Force Collection (I actually have PB twice as I brought the DVD by mistake when trying to buy the Blu-ray 🤦‍♂️)

Yes, don't forget Children who Chase Bloodcurdling Screams from Deep Below with the Shinkai set, that is a very Ghibli-esque movie. Oh, sorry, it's Journey to Agartha over there... :)

Back