Spoopy Anime

Haven't seen a mention for Dusk Maiden of Amnesia in this thread so far, so I've dropped that in. Its first episode is a great piece of writing showing how the same set of events can look so very different depending on which character's perspective you're seeing it from. šŸ˜‚

In the same vein of spoopy but not scary, Mysterious Girlfriend X has a very Tim Burton style to it.

What did you think of the commentaries? :) Does the US BD set by Sentai Filmworks with the OST included have those and the extended finale? :)
It's been a few years, but I remember them as being kinda filler, to be honest. šŸ¤”
Which is a shame.

I think they're mostly the main voice actress answering fan questions and responding to feedback from social media.

As for the Sentai version, I don't actually buy non-region 2/B discs, so I'm afraid I'm really not sure. I seem to remember reading an Amazon review a few years ago, though, (US Amazon, it must've been) that claimed that the commentary tracks all cut off, unfinished, when the episode ends. I can't imagine how. šŸ¤Ø

I'm really not sure, though, so I wouldn't take any of that as gospel.

I don't see it on AOL
As @WMD says, it's presumably out of print by now, unfortunately. CEX may be able to help you, though. MVM's set is a simple two-DVD affair in an Amaray case.

How do we feel about Yoshiaki Kawajiri's work? Is it actually scary? Or just weird n freaky
Kawajiri, yes! šŸ˜€
I'm a fan.

I'd say more weird and freaky, personally. I'm looking forward to finally getting Wicked City and Demon City Shinjuku. I've seen Wicked City dubbed once, but the other will be new to me. šŸ™‚

By its very nature horror doesn't really work in anime, not straight up slasher stuff anyway. Psychological stuff works better, but not really seen too many.

Happy Sugar Life and Magical Girl Site had its moments. People have said The Promised Neverland is scary, but I didn't particularly find it so apart from that one scene!

Ninja Collection is creepy, but is very short and can't really be called an animation. There is a number of seasons of a show called Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories by the same studio, but I haven't seen them.

By its very nature horror doesn't really work in anime, not straight up slasher stuff anyway. Psychological stuff works better, but not really seen too many.

Happy Sugar Life and Magical Girl Site had its moments. People have said The Promised Neverland is scary, but I didn't particularly find it so apart from that one scene!

Ninja Collection is creepy, but is very short and can't really be called an animation. There is a number of seasons of a show called Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories by the same studio, but I haven't seen them.

To be honest slasher flicks aren't scary at all. But I'm sure anime could do something with other horror things as you mentioned. Ghost Hunt is pretty good so far and I have some hopes for it. Honestly Japan has a metric shitton of Ghosts and Yokai urbun legends which have mostly come over through other forms like video games and things like Yokai Watch, but the kicker is a number of them could be genuinely scary stories and some of them have been actually been done well (in american media).

But I don't want to leave this month thinking that DC comics does Japanese Horror better than Japanese animation studios though because then something is wrong lol. (speaking of DC Comics and horror I got something very special incoming I might share).

Haven't seen a mention for Dusk Maiden of Amnesia in this thread so far, so I've dropped that in. Its first episode is a great piece of writing showing how the same set of events can look so very different depending on which character's perspective you're seeing it from. šŸ˜‚
I've had that sitting in my Big Brown Box o' DVDs for absolutely years - I'll have to get around to watching it soon! šŸ˜…

I'm throwing down the gauntlet here; monmasume (everyday life with monster girls)

Lots of spoopy monsters there. Whether the actual themes of the series fit the topic is debatable

Finished When They Cry yesterday. Will definitely give the first 2 seasons a rewatch next year. One of the best mystery horror series I've seen with great direction and storyboards from Chiaki Kon and music from Kenji Kawai. Will also check out the VNs for this and Umineko before tackling the stealth sequel this season.

Also while it's vaguely horror and more of a psychological game series Kakegurui has been a pretty disturbing watch with its absolutely unhinged cast of characters and the extremes they would go to for power.

Finished When They Cry yesterday. Will definitely give the first 2 seasons a rewatch next year. One of the best mystery horror series I've seen with great direction and storyboards from Chiaki Kon and music from Kenji Kawai. Will also check out the VNs for this and Umineko before tackling the stealth sequel this season.

Also while it's vaguely horror and more of a psychological game series Kakegurui has been a pretty disturbing watch with its absolutely unhinged cast of characters and the extremes they would go to for power.

I'm going through Umineko myself right now. It's an absolute wild ride (my Halloween avatar is from the Umineko VN) There is also a third When they Cry called Ciconia which is brand new just for information.

Great thread, a few added to my watchlist as a result.

Will add my vote to Shiki - it's excellent and definitely worth watching. I got a reasonably priced US blu ray a couple of years back on Amazon, which works on my PS4. Couldn't take the character design seriously, especially for a horror show, at the start but after a slow build and the engaging story I didn't even notice eventually heh.
I really liked Chaos;Head but I'd now say watch it just so you can watch its sequel Chaos;Child.
I think I see chaos;child on crunchyroll but is chaos;head streaming anywhere?
I have heard about Another before and it got 2 recommendations here so I might give that a look first and see where it goes.
Did you watch Another in the end and what did you think of it? I liked it but wasn't blown away.

Back