Spider-Man 4 no more

LukasROAR

Straw Hat Pirate
Hi guys,

i'm sure by now most of you have heard that the Sam Raimi and Toby Maguire Spider-Man 4 is no more. Both have walked away from the film after disputes regarding the script apparently. A new Spider-Man film will go ahead but with an entire new cast and the film will concentrate on Peter Parker at High School.

Yeah Spider-Man 3 was bad but I was looking forward to seeing Raimi redeem himself in the comic book movie world. I'm glad he stood his ground though over the script as the last time he didn't we ended up with Spidey 3.
The main rumours were that they wanted The Vulture (played by John Malkovic) as the main villain but the producers didn't as he wasn't as well known as other villains, there was also rumours that Felicia Hardy would come in played by Anne Hathaway and play a character known as The Vulturess. Making Felicia not blonde and anyone other than the Black Cat is a baaaad idea. John Malkovic would have made a great Vulture though.

As terrible as High School setting sounds there is hope, if anyone has read Ultimate Spider-Man series by Brian Michael Bendis they know it can be done incredibly well, if they stay true to USM it could be great.
If not, impending doom awaits although a fresh take on the series could be just what it needs.

What does everyone else think?

So is spiderman 4 basically going to be a reboot? if so then i say Marvel should get the license back and redo it themselves so it fits in with their current Marvel Film Universe. Although to be honest i think they should do that with all their other films.

I started off liking the Spiderman films but my opinion of them started to dwindle, Spider man 2, while good in places seemed to drag in others and i wasn't a fan of what they did to doc ock, i'm pretty sure in the comics it wasn't the influnence of the tentacles that made him go bad. Then what they did to Venom was just the final straw basically.

That's a blow. Even though I didn't love the 3rd film as much as I'd enjoyed the first 2 it was still more entertaining than most superhero movies i've seen and not as bad as most people seemed to make out. It did without doubt have MAJOR flaws though.

As for the 4th film I was really looking forward to seeing The Lizard in a movie with the established main cast. He was always my favourite villain when I was younger.

If they aren't going to do a fourth with the old cast and Raimi leaving, they should leave it alone for a few years like what happened with Batman rather than try and reboot it right now.

It's going to be a few years before this grittier vision even gets going, so I'm on board. I want my Spidey in high-school, quipping to everyone. Raimi done some good movies, but I'm more than happy to let some other people have a go. We don't want an origin, though - so just get the frakking story, no Goblin, no Doc Ock, give us Carnage, Vulture, Lizard et al. Sinister Six me up.

It'll also make Spidey fit properly into the upcoming merger movies, like Avengers and SHIELD hopefully.

Also, Lukas, Bendis can make anything cool.

Jayme said:
It's going to be a few years before this grittier vision even gets going, so I'm on board. I want my Spidey in high-school, quipping to everyone. Raimi done some good movies, but I'm more than happy to let some other people have a go. We don't want an origin, though - so just get the frakking story, no Goblin, no Doc Ock, give us Carnage, Vulture, Lizard et al. Sinister Six me up.

It'll also make Spidey fit properly into the upcoming merger movies, like Avengers and SHIELD hopefully.

Hopefully they'll just copy what the recent hulk movie did and tell the origin story as a montage of shots over the beginning credits.

Well I am kind of disappointed because even though the spiderman 3 was pretty bad I thought that if they added Lizard in 4 it might have been decent. I didn't much like Tobey Maguire anyway, he always looked a bit odd to me and pulled some weird faces. >.>
I'll see how this high school spidey goes then, sounds decent, but if they mess it up they should just stop.

Jayme said:

haha Bendis is amazing he'd be the first person i'd consult but you know what, they havn't got him writing it...oh no. Who do they have I hear you ask well they've chosen someone who knows so much about the Marvel universe he can't possibly mess it up...James Vanderbilt the idiot that gave us X-Men Origins Wolverine and butchered most of the characters histories and managed (i have nooo idea how) to mess up Deadpool.

I'd have loved to see The Lizard in Raimi's 4. He'd been built up in the previous films in the background too :(

As for the Villain in the reboot, someone like The Vulture would be great for the first film, his first challenge, no one too tough but enough to establish himself as he'll surely be still getting used to his abilities.
I love Carnage but after Venon in Spidey 3 i'd prefer they left him alone for now, the wounds are still saw. But eventually yeah why not.
I'm quite looking forward to the new project though, it's got potential I just hope they are doing it for the right reasons and a good script, not just to get another Spidey film out there for 2012 and make money they'd planned to get with Spidey 4.

The Vulture?

Why not stop with that balls and cut straight to carnage. Have Spidey and Venom team up and take on carnage (like in the ps1 game) It'd be much better, have a story line and worth my time.

Abit annoyed that Toby won't be spidey, He was alright in the role.

Tachi- said:
The Vulture?

Why not stop with that balls and cut straight to carnage. Have Spidey and Venom team up and take on carnage (like in the ps1 game) It'd be much better, have a story line and worth my time.

Abit annoyed that Toby won't be spidey, He was alright in the role.

There's three reasons why that's not such a good idea, for the first in a new series.

#1 There's too much storyline there to relay, who's venom? why does he have a grudge against spidey? Why does Eddie Brock hate peter parker? Who is carnage? where did all of this come from? There's simply going to be too much going on and it means we'll end up with a trainwreck of a movie.

Best thing to do is to lead it up to that storyline by introducing Eddie Brock again in this movie and over the course of this movie and other films, have him start to hate petey and spidey (say that peter took his job, made him look an idiot in front of someone etc etc) and don't have black suit spiderman and venom in the same movie (aside from venom appearing in a glimpse at the very end). Then after the movie with venom have carnage spawn and then start the Maximum Carnage storyline.

I mean if things like that took off, we may even get an Anti-Venom plot :p

#2 did you see what they did to Venom in spiderman 3?? And you want that repeated?

#3 did you see what they did to Venom in spiderman 3?? And you want that repeated?

now i know reasons #2 and #3 are the same but it was such a fundemental flaw, I thought it was worth mentioning twice*

*Red Dwarf joke, to see it for yourself, watch any episode where Cat tries to think of a plan.

I guess they could say that a small bit of venom got away. And can start off from there.

To throw away the other 3 films and start over is a waste of time and money. makes them look like idiots and everyone knows that rebooting so soon after the release of a previous film doesn't work.

If they said "right....we messed up with 3, its a film its not like we can take it all back and throw out a different copy, but were putting that aside and sorting out a better story for the fourth film" then i'd say fair enough to admit you screwed the story over but your saying you atleast understand you didn't do it justice and will be recrifying it in the next film.

When someone says spiderman to me only a handful of names appear.

Spiderman;
Venom
Carnage
Doc oc
black cat
green gobln
hob goblin
rhino
scorpion.
King pin (if you've read the comics released a few years back)
Red devil
the human torch.
The lizard

Sort of the sandman....not much really.

The vulture doesn't even come into it, its a crappy little guy compared to the major names.

To be fair the vulture is one of the classic spider enemies and was a member of the sinister six (i think both in comics and the cartoon series) Also this wouldn't be the first time a long movie series has been rebooted, i mean look at Batman. Plus we got gold when they rebooted that one, so i'm all for a reboot, i just wish Marvel was doing it.

Besides with the whole peter in high school thing its pretty much going for the reboot. In some regards its not a lot different then what's going on with the X men license, they may not be rebooting (again if it ever comes to that i pray to god that Marvel take over the reigns) but they aren't moving forward anymore.

Also human torch? aren't you mixing up your franchises ;) Although he did appear as one of spidermans friends in the one of the earlier spiderman cartoons. Who is Red Devil? the only person that sounds close to that is the Red Skull and that was Captain America's enemy...

Tachi- said:
I guess they could say that a small bit of venom got away. And can start off from there.

To throw away the other 3 films and start over is a waste of time and money. makes them look like idiots and everyone knows that rebooting so soon after the release of a previous film doesn't work.

If they said "right....we messed up with 3, its a film its not like we can take it all back and throw out a different copy, but were putting that aside and sorting out a better story for the fourth film" then i'd say fair enough to admit you screwed the story over but your saying you atleast understand you didn't do it justice and will be recrifying it in the next film.

When someone says spiderman to me only a handful of names appear.

Spiderman;
Venom
Carnage
Doc oc
black cat
green gobln
hob goblin
rhino
scorpion.
King pin (if you've read the comics released a few years back)
Red devil
the human torch.
The lizard

Sort of the sandman....not much really.

The vulture doesn't even come into it, its a crappy little guy compared to the major names.

Blackwolf, i agree with everything you say especially about the villains and how films should build up characters behind the scenes lol apart from Anti-Venom lol Yeah he looks awesome but have you read the recent comic run..possibly the worst thing i've ever read lol. I like the idea of the character but the writer was abysmal and they so should have called him Cure.

My only worry is that the reason Raimi pulled out is because he couldn't agree on the script with the producers as they wanted to have more power over character involvement and story. Now that the project is moving on without him the next director (rumoured to be the guy who directed the brilliant 500 Days of Summer) will walk on to the film with a script chosen by the producers themselves

Sorry Tachi- but that's exactly what they are doing, Sony confirmed that with the departure of Raimi and Maguire they are rebooting the francise and Parker will be in high school so around 15-17 years of age. Seems a little soon but they feel it's the best new direction as to continue the current series with a change would be like doing Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull with someone else as Indy. By the 4th in the francise changing the lead just wouldn't work, plus both maguire and dunst said they wouldn't play their roles without Raimi on board.

The anti-venom thing was a bit of a joke there, i only read up so far with the comics storyline, really the whole "brand new day" thing just left a bitter taste in my mouth so anything after that was going to struggle with me.

Without Rami though now, it means there won't be another Bruce Campbell cameo :( Ah well.

I also frakking want some Gwen Stacy. I can't live without Gwen Stacy. Also, that James Vanderbilt guy I'm leaving alone right now because of Zodiac, his involvement in other films is hardly even credited or completely rewritten.

And, I'd be totally happy for Webb to direct. If he fails at action direction, which I doubt he would, he'd be amazing at making Spidey witty again and honestly make it an amazing film. I think he's probably the frontrunner for the film. (500) Days of Summer balanced out quirk and humour with drama pretty damn well, so currently, I trust the guy a lot.

I like the idea everyone else is saying about Spidey and comparing them to James Bond movies. Spidey shouldn't belong to any one actor, the same way Doctor Who shouldn't so reinvention could be pretty epic.

I actually still have yet to see Spider-man 2 or 3. The first film never clicked particularly well with me at all so I lost faith pretty quickly. The casting was always my main issue, so I can only see this as a good thing. Plus I wasn't too pleased with them messing around with Black Cat. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, at the very least.

Back