Sony buys Dolphin Broadcasting - Potential for an Animax UK?

I have given up on anime getting any decent airing on Tv ever (except Ghibli on film4). There's more streaming online legally than you could ever have had on TV in your wildest dreams.

(....especially if you have VPN)

christor said:
I have given up on anime getting any decent airing on Tv ever (except Ghibli on film4). There's more streaming online legally than you could ever have had on TV in your wildest dreams.

VPN? Dude, don't waste your money.

Unless you're talking about CR, right?

The only reason why Anime central failed was because not enough money was put through awareness and advertising... So nobody can ever find that channel. Anime Central was the channel that got me into Anime, and it was the first proper Anime I had seen. I was lucky to find that channel cause I tend to flick through channels regularly. Secondly, CNX failed because it was aimed at children and was slotted near the children's programming category. In other words they didn't capture the right target audience. I think Sony might be able to pull it off, If.... they do hardcore advertising and billboards which will more likely expand more ratings efficiently. I'm sure there's a lot of people that love Pokemon, In the U.K. So I don't see why not?

Paradox295 said:
christor said:

VPN? Dude, don't waste your money.

Unless you're talking about CR, right?

I don't think it's just CR he's talking about. He did say VPN, after all.

darksage2012 said:
The only reason why Anime central failed was because not enough money was put through awareness and advertising... So nobody can ever find that channel. Anime Central was the channel that got me into Anime, and it was the first proper Anime I had seen. I was lucky to find that channel cause I tend to flick through channels regularly. Secondly, CNX failed because it was aimed at children and was slotted near the children's programming category. In other words they didn't capture the right target audience. I think Sony might be able to pull it off, If.... they do hardcore advertising and billboards which will more likely expand more ratings efficiently. I'm sure there's a lot of people that love Pokemon, In the U.K. So I don't see why not?

Advertisers. Sadly they are the problem that I can see. In order for a channel to survive it generally needs to generate a lot of ad revenue, and I suspect this may be a problem for an anime channel. If advertisers don't understand anime's audience then they won't buy ad time on the channel. What age group would they be they aiming at, which sex, what income bracket, etc? If they can't come up with answers they won't risk wasting their money on adverts that may not reach a receptive audience for their products. Childrens channels can get away with it as they tend to attract ads aimed at the parents watching, but for niche channels it becomes more difficult.

Silanda said:
darksage2012 said:

Advertisers. Sadly they are the problem that I can see. In order for a channel to survive it generally needs to generate a lot of ad revenue, and I suspect this may be a problem for an anime channel. If advertisers don't understand anime's audience then they won't buy ad time on the channel. What age group would they be they aiming at, which sex, what income bracket, etc? If they can't come up with answers they won't risk wasting their money on adverts that may not reach a receptive audience for their products. Childrens channels can get away with it as they tend to attract ads aimed at the parents watching, but for niche channels it becomes more difficult.
Because there is no video game, food, personal hygene, music or movie DVD adverts. Ever.

Jesus Christ people. The reason the UK doesn't have a dedicated anime channel is fairly simple: The UK barely has a big enough market for anime to make DVD sales profitable, let alone draw enough people away from their reality TV shows to generate advertising revenue.

You can stick as many massive Naruto covered billboards up as you like, but the reaction of most of the population is going to be same "Cartoons are for kids" mentality that we've all come to know and expect from people outside the hobby. My advice would be to watch the streams, buy the physical releases and be thankful we even have those. Who actually wants to watch their anime cut into pieces with adverts slotted in anyway?

Not to mention that the already tiny demographic is chopped up further by the dub/sub divide, and various genres...

It would be nice if we could watch anime channels from overseas as a compromise, but the ancient model that our television system works on doesn't really seem to accommodate anything useful like that.

R

Which is just another reason the internet wins over TV. As someone elsewhere pointed out, if you really wanna watch anime legally and without cost on your TV, why not buy a cable to link it to your PC and load up some free streams?

ConanThe3rd said:
Because there is no video game, food, personal hygene, music or movie DVD adverts. Ever.

Of course there are, but the problem still remains that advertisers would be reluctant to dedicate significant amounts of cash to advertising somewhere with a low viewership of unknown demographics. They aren't charities and want to see a return on their investment, so somewhere that doesn't have a very specific demographic that they can target, or a large enough audience so that their adverts will reach their intended market regardless, isn't going to appeal too much. Even shows with good viewing figures on the major channels have been cancelled because advertisers weren't interested in aiming at the audience that the shows had.

If anime was more widely popular this wouldn't be so much of a problem, but as it is we are hardly at its peak of popularity and, as has been said, it is hard enough to make a profit from DVD sales on anything other than Ghibli stuff.

All I know is there's pokemon and Bakuman and 5D's on tv right now. I'd be hella dumb not to advertise, say, Inazuma Eleven or Prof. Layton 4 at that time.

Course it's Hella Dumb to get the rights (or get them by proxy something tells me Inazuma Eleven just sorta dropped on Disney UK's lap via Euro deals) to an show, throw it up at half eight and cancel it a month later so maybe I just understand business too well to be good at TV.

Now that I think about it, how much does it cost to advertise a show? I mean, knowing would probably explain the advertising problem a bit more clearly than it is right now.

theirsbailiff said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Production cost + Airtime cost, on it's most basic level.

Ah. So it could cost anything depending on the show and the budget the tv channel has.
Presumably, it probably costs an arm and a leg to get airtime during a commercial break of X-factor whilst you could have probably got change from paying a pound to get advert time on Anime Central and a 99 flake.

ConanThe3rd said:
theirsbailiff said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Production cost + Airtime cost, on it's most basic level.

Ah. So it could cost anything depending on the show and the budget the tv channel has.
Presumably, it probably costs an arm and a leg to get airtime during a commercial break of X-factor whilst you could have probably got change from paying a pound to get advert time on Anime Central and a 99 flake.

But Conan, A pound is pretty much a quarter of our budget. Couldn't we just go for something cheaper?

Lol, now I'm not really bothered if Anime get's on TV or not. When you can access anime on your Smart TV using YouTube. (WI-FI bungle connection). A lot happier now. lol. On my 58inch xD

Back