Sony buys Dolphin Broadcasting - Potential for an Animax UK?

HokageLuffy

Completely Average High School Student
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jan/19/sony-pictures-television-buys-dolphin

So looks like Movies4Men, Movies4Men+1, Movies4Men 2, Movies4Men 2+1 and Men&Movies are now owned by Sony. All five movie channels are available on Sky, Freesat and Freeview (Manchester Only) for free, so Sony have slots with a high reach. Maybe this could lead the way for an Animax in the UK, given that there have been reports of Sony attempting to launch it in the past.

Of course this could all turn to nothing, with Sony possibly deciding to keep the 'Movies4Men' brand or maybe rebrand them into something entirely different. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Nah. Looks like they're just keeping it atm. They should make it a male based Sony channel and have animu, plus Breakin' Bad and Community <3

Disney couln't even keep their brain in thier pants long enoguh to air Inazuma Eleven. what makes you think Sony has any chance in hell of pulling this off.?

Honestly, don't get your hopes up, BUT, don't completely rule it out.

In the past month, I noticed Adult Swim was back on TCM2, Firefly was rerun on Horror Channel and Daria was on MTV.

Crazy things have happened...

Why get up hopes when, even if Sony gets an Animax off, it'll just go the way of all ventures of this sort?

I mean TCM makes attempt number, what, 4 with a UK Adult Swim (counting the attempt to run it on CN that got nuked from orbit by Ofcom)

Project-2501 said:
The shows on TCM2 looks like some old old adult swim. The robot chicken is from 2009. Hmm... Maybe if they showed some season 5 here...
That's not helping my "anything that's more good than Doctor Who will not air on TV without being an ass to air" therom any.

Also, these gaggle of chucklenuts did not exploit AstroBoy 2k3's popularity on CBBC at all. Did they release the series on DVD or follow it up with Cyborg 009 (Which has a PAL master, it aired on RTE)? Like fun they did!

ConanThe3rd said:
Project-2501 said:
The shows on TCM2 looks like some old old adult swim. The robot chicken is from 2009. Hmm... Maybe if they showed some season 5 here...
That's not helping my "anything that's more good than Doctor Who will not air on TV without being an ass to air" therom any.

I...I honestly don't understand this sentence. I can't make sense of the words you've put in inverted commas. Do you mean "better" instead of "more good"?

SonGoku said:
I don't understand why we can't have an anime channel they have lot of other crap channels I bet no one watches...
We did have an Anime channel in 2007 - AnimeCentral. It wasn't making enough money, so it was axed. So unfortunately, with the crap channels you bet no one watches...people do watch it.

SonGoku said:
I don't understand why we can't have an anime channel they have lot of other crap channels I bet no one watches...
Because nobody watches anime channels and those other channels wouldn't be on if nobody watched them. :roll:

The short answer is, it's infantely cheepr to shove your vomit enducing extriment in people's faces and call it a steak than go and buy/outsource the creation of a steak and serve that instead.

This is what I have dubbed the rule of "Godamnit, Adult Swim".

SonGoku said:

As other has said, we did. Back in 2007. It flopped (it didn't make enough, but I hold up another theory that it didn't do enough to secure more rights for airing and a lack of communication, which could cause its downfall).

Besides, anime find more success on the internet through Crunchyroll and Anime on Demand, both legal alternatives and that's where I believe they should be targeting (and not TV). Put more funding into that, offer dub episodes on there and bobs yer uncle.

Back