Sky HD Box

melonpan

Death Scythe
So I got around to getting onto the HD bandwagon and now I have a lovely 32" 1080p TV but my current Sky box looks utter shite on it, so I was wondering if anyone who has a Sky HD box could recommend me a good make to get. I'm looking for the cheapest possible, and without any kind of hard drive, I don't subscribe to Sky in any shape or form so I wouldn't be able to make use of Sky+ anyway, I just want the box for the free-to-air HD channels and so I can use HDMI to link the box up, thus making SD channels look slightly better than using SCART and be shown w/o overscan.

I hope someone can help, thanks : )

melonpan said:
I don't subscribe to Sky in any shape or form so I wouldn't be able to make use of Sky+ anyway, I just want the box for the free-to-air HD channels and so I can use HDMI to link the box up, thus making SD channels look slightly better than using SCART and be shown w/o overscan.
So what you really want (rather than a Sky box) is a HD Freesat box. One for just under £70 here.

ayase said:
melonpan said:
I don't subscribe to Sky in any shape or form so I wouldn't be able to make use of Sky+ anyway, I just want the box for the free-to-air HD channels and so I can use HDMI to link the box up, thus making SD channels look slightly better than using SCART and be shown w/o overscan.
So what you really want (rather than a Sky box) is a HD Freesat box. One for just under £70 here.

whs

though be careful, Bush aren't too good anymore, we kinda own them now so you may as well call it an Argos Value one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... AL+BOX.htm would be a better bet, though ur paying for it

The only thing I used to really watch when I had lots of channels was the NHK channel. I think I was on freeview or free sat at that house. Like Otaku-san I don't watch much TV

Melonpan, get Pace. They are fixed now (I don't actually think they were ever actually broken. I remember reading up that they were the best, and got recalled for some other reason) and it's awesome. The new Sky+HD Guide isn't the best, but I'm used to it. Anyway, Pace is the way to go if you have to option.

I do think you should wonder if its actually worth it for a 32". I've seen my Grandmothers (and Grandfathers) 32"-ish tellies with Sky (and Virgin on, natch) and I don't really see a difference, that might just be me...

You should check out FreeSat. It's probably better, since you'll only be getting like... four HD channels.

Thanks for the input everyone : )

@ Jayme: Yeah my current box is a Pace one, didn't think to have a look on their site haha.

I was going to say that getting anything but a box that uses the Sky EPG is out of the question, but on second thoughts maybe it's not, though I wouldn't have access to Channel 4 HD, Sky 3 (no big loss, lol!), Fiver and Five USA both of which I don't watch, so only Channel 4 HD, so yeah I really need a box that you can stick a Sky viewing card into to decrypt the free-to-view channels.

The Sky+HD box would be perfect for £50 but you have to subscribe to Sky for that, which is totally out of the question.

I guess I'll have to research Pace a bit more, it really is worth getting HD. I didn't just get an HD TV for TV anyway, I've got it for the PS3 I'm planning to get in December and then Blu-rays.

I thought I was futureproofed for several years now, but with Sony just announcing they're going to make 3-D TVs, and they're going to make the PS3 be able to do 3-D stuff, and Sky doing a 3-D channel next year.... Maybe I adopted too soon, even though it's like 3 years since the advent of HD. Oh dear.

There's no way hell of earth I'm going to buy a new TV just for 3-D, 3-D should have been brought in with the introduction of HD a few years back.

Oh and yeah, hi!

3D won't become commonplace until HD is commonplace. Give or take 15 years, and, once everyone becomes digital. I think then, and only then, we might be able to have 3D TVs on a shop floor.

I also think Ultra HD is more likely to turn up first before 3D HD.

4k is the next logical step, but again not for a good few years yet. That'll be the last home media they'll be able to sell 35mm films on as well, 'cause they can't get anymore detail out of it than that.

3D? I don't ever see it taking off TBH. No one seems that bothered about it from what I can see (I know I couldn't care less) and there's no point making films in a format there's no demand for.

I think we're slowly starting to see an uptick in the quality of movies being released in 3D, though. It should be noted, though, that crap like My Bloody Valentine and THE Final Destination aren't helping others like Up! and Avatar anytime soon.

One of the major problems I foresee in people actually having 3D TVs is that the lighting needs to be correct for the glasses to work. That's one of the main issues we have currently with the ****** paper Red and Blue anaglyph films. Some like to watch TV with lights on, others in pitch black. We need some universal, always working super 3D screen.

I don't know about 3D. Different people have different eye separations.
Plus, all my favourites weren't produced in 3D, so only new productions would be able to justify the technology.

We have SkyHD, and multiroom, which I think we get discount because we have had Sky for about 9 years.

Although to be honest, the only time I really use the HD facility is to watch the football

Back