Simulwatch schedule and suggestions list

Hidden all the Ping Pong spoiler talk, @Geriatric hedgehog thanks for the heads up! Sorry.

Welcome aboard the ping pong hype train, then! There's uh, plenty of room, so sit wherever you like, really.
Heheh, plenty of room. Sorry dude, I wasn't complaining about there being spoilers, those seemed pretty easy to avoid really, but thank you regardless. Meant to imply I was excited about joining the conversation once I had actually watched/simulwatched the show.
In the show, both the singular and the plural are "FranXX", so you get your wish, buddy! 😁👍

Japanese plurals are quite different from ours in English. They're sometimes formed by doubling the word. For example, "person" is hito, and "people" is hitobito. There's a phonetic change there on what should be the second h; that's a typical quirk of linking words together in Japanese.
As always, good to have some Japanese language insight from our resident expert! Based on the doubling up, I'm glad they didn't go with FranXXBranXX or something...

Heheh, plenty of room. Sorry dude, I wasn't complaining about there being spoilers, those seemed pretty easy to avoid really, but thank you regardless. Meant to imply I was excited about joining the conversation once I had actually watched/simulwatched the show.

As always, good to have some Japanese language insight from our resident expert! Based on the doubling up, I'm glad they didn't go with FranXXBranXX or something...
Hahh, I'm no expert, pal; I just know bits and pieces. 😄

Funnily enough, though, the phonetic change for f is actually to b, so you're bang-on there! 😆👍

Speaking purely of my own self-interests, I'd want to leave Ergo Proxy for autumn/winter. It's a firm favourite of mine, and I'd love to have the chance to do it justice with some more in-depth posts and possibly also set up the thread for it if folk were okay with that.

Shall we shortlist some shorter ones to tackle? We have a list but only some of them would be 1 cour shows, so that list wouldn't be crazy long.

I had a thought the other day about Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Puella Magi Madoka Magica). It's famously a subversion of the Magical Girl genre (not that I've seen any of the MG shows it was subverting, but I've seen a fair few clones).
It's just had it's 10 year anniversary and is a 1 cour show. It's on Netflix which could be difficult for some (do they do a trial period and how long does it last). I have it on Blu-ray, but haven't watched it yet.

Other 1 cours on the short list:
After the Rain
Anohana
Barakamon
Eden of the East + movies
Gall Force? (seems like a franchise with all sorts of entries)
Ghost in the Shell (1995 & Innocence)
Girls' Last Tour
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
Macross Plus + movie
Patlabor (OVA series 1)
Ping Pong: The Animation
Punch Line
Rumbling Hearts
She: The Ultimate Weapon
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Watamote
You’re Under Arrest (OVA)

Of that lot Barakamon is the most light hearted if we need a break from weightier stuff.

I love Madoka but I've seen it fairly recently, and I'd wager all of us have probably seen it at least once given it's pedigree and age.

Based on that list I will do some + ones that are ones I have heard of/haven't seen/would like to try, some - ones that I have seen lately, anything else I don't mention is because I haven't seen or heard of it.

+
After the Rain
Anohana
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
Ping Pong: The Animation
Watamote

-
Eden of the East
Girls' Last Tour

so my vote would probably go to any of the 5 in my + list, and I'd probably not watch the 2 in the - list as seen both within the last 6 months (although GLT is fantastically atmospheric). Anything not mentioned I would watch/try if people vote that way, as I either haven't heard of, or watched them.

Yo sh*t, ctrl f Ping Pong and such!

I know it's not gonna happen but I'm here for that potential vote!

I'm in for a shorter show if I happen to have it, no budget otherwise right now.

Of the list in the OP I only have Barakamon and Eden of the East (for the shorter ones, I mean).

Barakamon
Eden of the East + movies
Gall Force? (seems like a franchise with all sorts of entries) availability issues
Ghost in the Shell (1995 & Innocence
Patlabor (OVA series 1)
You’re Under Arrest (OVA) availability issues
I’d be down for any of these, I really enjoyed After the Rain and Girls’ Last Tour, but I also wrote a decent bit about them when I watched them, and that wasn’t really long enough ago that I feel like rewatching them yet either.

That said, it is nice to watch new things as well and the only one of the above I own but haven’t seen before is Barakamon. If any of the others are either on HiDive or for free on another streaming platform, I’d still be willing to consider them.

I’d still really like to do YUA at some point (that’s been in the wait list for a very long time ;_; but I get that’s not easily obtainable, although it is on HiDive if you VPN over to the USA).

Barakamon seems to be fairly popular so far based on mentions at least, maybe people can each say 2-3 things they'd like, and we'll roll with whatever gets the most votes? I don't mind collating some numbers based on replies :)

Can even do like I did, a list of + ones, a list of - ones, and rest will be considered neutral options. Then I can give each thing a + vote, a - vote, or leave it as it is score wise :)

I was looking at my backlog and saw that I still have my copy of Cyber City Oedo 808 to watch. It’s only a short series and I would hold off watching if anyone else wanted to do a simulwatch for it.

Back