Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [final ep - 39]

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
My lords, ladies and gentlemen, pray be seated and get hype for Gainax's other cult classic, in:

Simulwatch VI - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (The Lion Balls Are Just a Bonus)

O4fMLFb.jpg

Streaming link via The Anime Network (subtitled)

Plot Summary [from ANN]:

In 1889, the world is on the pinnicle of great discoveries in technology. In mankinds grasp for the future, a sinister foe known only as Gargoyle, obsessed with restoring the former Atlantean empire to the glory it once held, begins his plans to take over the world. Nadia, with the help of a young inventor, Jean Ratlique, and Captain Nemo of the submarine Nautilus, must fight to save the world from Gargoyle and Neo-Atlantis. Based on the Novel '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' by Jules Verne.

Viewing plan:

At 39 episodes, this is a relatively long series, so as discussed in the general simulwatch thread, I'm hoping to split things up a bit to make it easier to follow along with. My idea was that we aim to watch one episode a day and post a little bit about each ep as we go, but do a bigger post after every five episodes. That way, hopefully anyone who can't make a daily post or just wants to watch the show in chunks still has the option to follow along by just posting once every five days. To make this easier to keep up with, I'll try to change the episode number in the thread title every day, so that everyone can see at a glance what number we're on. Obviously you're free to write as much or as little as you like, this is just based on past experience of folk getting burned out on these things.

There is also the matter of the infamously terrible 'island' filler arc, but feel free to skim through or skip those episodes altogether rather than suffer through that lot. I'll be sure to post a warning when they're coming up and I'll try to put up a summary of what happens in them when the time comes.

Spoiler tagging should be a matter of common sense, but I think we can probably feel free to post untagged stuff for the earlier episodes for every fifth-ep post.

Start time will be 00.00 on Monday 20th, so feel free to make any posts on ep1 after that.

Lastly, don't feel embarrassed if you have to drop out or if you're just not digging it. It happens, it's fine.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

Episode 01

p7BBF5g.jpg

Smooth Jean, real smooth.

This isn't the first I've ever seen any of Nadia, but this is the first time I've ever seen the show from the beginning and I think what strikes me most about it is how Ghibli-esque it feels. Not only in its setting, but also in its tone and its general subject matter. Even some of the animation on the characters faces seems reminiscent of Miyazaki-era Lupin.

Also 19th-century Team Rocket is the best Team Rocket and Lord Arkwright was totally driving Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

yeah 5 eps sounds good to me.... because watching 1 aday isn't good at all because I like to watch the next ep as soon as I can.....

I probably won't be joining in on this (The description isn't exactly grabbing me and yellow subs make me want to gouge out my eyes, however I would be totally down for a simulwatch of Gainax's other cult classic :p) but I do want to ask if that streaming site is legit because it looks really sketchy and I've never heard of it.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I probably won't be joining in on this (The description isn't exactly grabbing me and yellow subs make me want to gouge out my eyes, however I would be totally down for a simulwatch of Gainax's other cult classic :p) but I do want to ask if that streaming site is legit because it looks really sketchy and I've never heard of it.

ACCESS DENIED BY REGION
We apologize but this show is not available in your region.
Your IP: XX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Your Country: BE

Well I guess it's legit then :p

Fair enough then. I just found it weird that this really basic looking site I've never heard of before has licences for big shows like K-On and Elfen Lied and stuff when the big players like Crunchyroll, Viewster, etc don't have them.

The Anime Network is on the level, yes - they're primarily a US cable channel that was formerly part of ADV. Most of their content is US region locked, but there are a few exceptions, all of which are listed in NormanicGrav''s thread about UK streamable anime.

I've seen a lot of adverts for the Anime Network on imported DVDs and such, I kind of thought they had disappeared though. I was surprised to find it was still a thing.

Will get around to watching episode 1 shortly.

If you're not sure about watching you could always wait for the 5 episode point and see if any of the comments intrigue you then join in if you want. I have to say though, this show does vary quite a bit in tone and content throughout so it's hard to say if someone would like it or not. I guess that's why it's "cult".

I'll be watching the dub on blu-ray. But seeing as this is my second time through I'll also have subs enabled.

Totally see the team rocket reference and noticed that first time through too. In general this seems like a reasonable first episode, it introduces the characters nicely and gives enough of a picture of each for you to get an idea of who they are now whilst still leaving an air of mystery about their past.

The dub VA for Sanson sounds strangely familiar although IMDB was no help in identifying anything I may have heard him in before, perhaps it's just the accent.

ep 1

the animation is aged and the dub accents are sooooo right on but bad at the same time.

but nadia seems like a interesting character but Joan annoys me abit but I hope this series can change my mind

team rocket blasts off again

IncendiaryLemon said:
however I would be totally down for a simulwatch of Gainax's other cult classic :p
Let's revisit this idea around the end of next month. :)

msgeek said:
Totally see the team rocket reference and noticed that first time through too.
http://timebokan.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Skeletons

(I know Yatterman and some other Tatsunoko things have had fresh versions recently so people probably know about this, but worth giving them and the Doronbo Gang their due I believe).

ep 2-4
jean is annoying but I guess that is what I think what others thought kids was like back then.

jeans ante is a bitch

something seems fishy when they was on the ship in ep 3

when they was on the sub things started to get interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the idea is that if you watch ahead you post about the episodes once everyone is at the same point. Otherwise it isn't really a simulwatch.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I think the idea is that if you watch ahead you post about the episodes once everyone is at the same point. Otherwise it isn't really a simulwatch.

I thought everyone was watching it today

Some people are doing it one a day and commenting as they go but some people who might prefer to watch in chunks or who don't want to post every day are going to make posts once every 5 days. If you're going to watch in chunks you should have probably waited until Friday.

Episode 1

I had forgotten about the weird intro bit at the start, I suspect I'll have forgotten a lot of details so it'll be interesting to see if I make more note of them watching and commenting on each episode individually.

I love the actual OP, although it's maybe a bit spoilerish since it shows plenty of characters who have yet to appear (among other things).

I find the kind of "kids cartoon" vibe the show has interesting, it's not all super happy but there's a bit of wacky slapstick and stunts that would be extremely dangerous in real-life but somehow no one gets hurt. I did quite like the bit where Nadia does some elaborate acrobatics and still manages to keep her hat.

I like that Nadia is hesitant to trust Jean to begin with, aside from being pursued you get the impressions that she doesn't trust easily. I don't think she's really surprised at what the Circus owner does.

I think it says a lot about the tone of the show (at least at this point) that they don't dwell on the circus owner for very long. The fact that someone was able to 'buy' Nadia from him was deeply creepy, although it feels plausible for the time period.

Professor Irony said:
I think it says a lot about the tone of the show (at least at this point) that they don't dwell on the circus owner for very long. The fact that someone was able to 'buy' Nadia from him was deeply creepy, although it feels plausible for the time period.
yeah that was creepy and I think it was a time when people was saying..... this sort of thing is wrong and everyone was slowly getting it but to some it was out of the question

Professor Irony said:
I think it says a lot about the tone of the show (at least at this point) that they don't dwell on the circus owner for very long.
Ooh, you know it never even occurred to me that Nadia's skin colour might be relevant to what happened as well. I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I didn't think about it before.

Back