Shows That Have Taken You Forever To Get Through

This thread reminds me that I still need to watch the last episode-and-a-half of Zetsuen no Tempest. I like the show a lot, but stuff just always seems to come up at the exact wrong time.

thedoctor2016 said:
gurren lagann as I just stopped at episode 8 for about a month as I was so annoyed rest took 2 days when I picked it up

Nothing personal, this is something I see a lot, but people who drop or put Gurren Lagann on hold after Kamina's death absolutely befuddle me. That episode is one of the best in the entire show because not only is it a fantastic episode with some great action and animation in it, Kamina's death is a huge turning point in the show and is vital to Simone's character growth. I mean yes, I loved Kamina but that episode really makes you want to see what happens next in terms of both plot and character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gintama and Reborn . I'm on ep 94 of Reborn and ep 241 of Gintama . normally when its between Seasons I decide too try get a load watched . I tell myself I will watch 3 a day and I do for the first few days . I think I may start trying to get some of these watch again soon .

While it didn't take me as long as Doctor to continue watching after episode 8 i can see why he had to take a break. For those 8 episodes, Kamina is built up as the main character with Simon as his sidekick, he's developed into a take charge bad ass guy which many people watching the type of show Gurren Lagann is gravitate to. His death was really unexpected and can take awhile for some people to get over and want to continue with the show when they're attached to character that much.

Tbh when it did happen I didn't think the show would be as good as those first 8 episodes but i'm glad i was proved wrong as it got even better following them.

DragonBlaze67 said:
While it didn't take me as long as Doctor to continue watching after episode 8 i can see why he had to take a break. For those 8 episodes, Kamina is built up as the main character with Simon as his sidekick, he's developed into a take charge bad ass guy which many people watching the type of show Gurren Lagann is gravitate to.

I think they did a good job of mis-directing everyone Simon was always the lead, he has a good amount of screen time at the start, more so than you'd realise, and it's just the clash in personality that automatically made us assume Kamina was the lead

--

Right now I'm working my way through Hayate the Combat Butler Season 1. Usually I'd watch a good 12-15 episodes over a weekend but with this show I'm finding it hard to sit down and get watching. Once I do start watching I don't have any issues, I just don't seem as keen to start watching it as I might with other shows.

Bleach is the longest ongoing series I'm watching with the intention of finishing, Series 1 was the first Anime set I bought back in 2010, needed to buy from Series 9 onwards for a good while which I finally did earlier this year (going through Series 11). I'm still only on Episode 170 at the moment. Have read the Manga up to date with volume releases though!

REBORN! and Gintama are probably the next longest series I've been watching, they were the first shows I started watching when I got a Crunchyroll Subscription sometime Early 2011. At this point I've made it to Episode 153 of REBORN! and I've watched a paltry total of 17 episodes of Gintama, not sure I have the desire now at this point to get back into it!

There are a few others knocking about on my On-Hold list for a good few years, in terms of actual completion at the top of my head Air Gear is probably the longest, if I recall it took something like 15 Months to finish.

My flatmate and I have taken more than a year and a half to get through Planetes (we still have 2 episodes to go). We both love it to bits, but both have to be in the same place and the right mood to want to watch it...

*whistles innocently*

2015 has not been a great year for me in various ways, some of them worse than others.
But because of that I haven't really made progress on anime in any way until this month.

From 2011 (after Clannad) until 2014 I had this rule I'd finish an anime within the same month I started it,
but now in 2015 I canned that rule and following that I have still not finished Rocket Girls.
I started it in April, and will finish it soon as I am set on finishing it and moving on to other anime.

It is not a bad anime, I enjoy it very much and it displeases me it is sub-only as it has a lot of potential.
However, time constraints, mental constraints and other constraints / mishaps didn't do me any favors.
Part of the cause is also the UK / USA anime industry being so screwed up that it just exhausted me.

Back