Should the rich pay more tax

Watanabe Ken

Magical Girl
What are people's opinions on high taxation of the rich, is it wrong is it right, do they have a moral obligation to society and if so what are these moral obligations, is it not fairer for everybody to pay the same regardless of how successful they are or should there be tax cuts on high earners because they already pay more the average person. I'd be interested to hear people opinions and possibly reasoning on the subject.

I’ve got to say on this one, I would say somewhat that they should however I can’t say I agree with the 45% bracket. Clearly if you are earning the amount to qualify for that you could afford to pay it (or at least you should be able to) however it seems too high in comparison to other brackets.

Yes but why?

I mean, it's pretty simple, rich people have more money, poor people have less money, and thus need as much of what little they earn to get by. The rich aren't going to miss that money nearly as much, and can help contribute to make sure the less wealthy can get the help they need via benefits and the like. Everyone getting taxed the same is just going to make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

I can understand not taxing poor people and obviously the government need to make up for what there not getting from the poor, it's the whole moral obligation that confuses me. I mean why does Richard Branson for example have a moral obligation to provide for Jon the care home worker, they both made choices in life which led to the positions there in now, why does Richard have to pay for someone he doesn't even know, is him having all his virgin money somehow hurting Jon.

I'm going to say kinda...

I think it should be a more sensible increases, so currently the income tax rates are:
11,500 0%
11,501-45,000 20%
45,001 -150,000 40%
150,001+ 45%

I think the rates should be:

11,500 0%
11,501-45,000 20%
45,001-150,000 30%
150,001 - 500,000 40%
500,001+ 45%

This is because if you're on a 44,000 wage and get a pay rise to 45,000, you get pushed up to the next tax bracket... As you guess it, you're earning less money than before your rise because of the tax bracket. Personally I think this is unfair as getting a pay rise around this amount usually means you're in a skilled job (lab tech for example) and the Gov are pretty much punishing you for your job

A steady increase in the tax bracket would reduce the risk of payed more but earned less

But then again, I also think what would help the economy more would be reducing the VAT rate back to 17.5 or even 15% but thats not gunna happen

I can understand not taxing poor people and obviously the government need to make up for what there not getting from the poor, it's the whole moral obligation that confuses me. I mean why does Richard Branson for example have a moral obligation to provide for Jon the care home worker, they both made choices in life which led to the positions there in now, why does Richard have to pay for someone he doesn't even know, is him having all his virgin money somehow hurting Jon.

Human decency maybe?

Personally I think the ever increasing price in houses and the growing market of people buying houses to then rent out at £1000+ a month is destroying the economy more than how much the rich get paid

Its also why I'm honestly amazed the suicide rate of 18-30 year olds is as low as it is considering its impossible to get affordable housing anymore.

But thats just my opinion

Well I believe the priority is who needs it most so if a family comes here with children the child should have a home to live in
But if they don't have a job or means to acquire housing then they shouldn't really be here. I don't thinks it's right to expect the British public to pay for anybody who wants to live here when there's a social housing crisis and British citizen's living on the streets.

I also think the NHS should be for British citizen's only and those who are not British citizen's should pay for private health care, thus creating a supply and demand which would boost the number of hospitals and doctors in the country and save the NHS lots of money.

Back