Should japanese music more recongised in the UK?

xxXXmoomooXXxx

School Idol
MAN OH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someting I've wondered we have some european music in the charts and some of America's screwed up music today. I read that a visual kei band got into some top 10 album list in a european list( I think it was in some northern europe country)....but why not here?

...In Japan theyve become a lil' popular in America, what I'd like to see is a Visual Kei on a music channel or atleast on the charts. I know that you can buy the An Cafe album in HMV online but it would teach people not to be narrow minded too...

Ah thats simple WHY its not here. As a whole, in general we suck at languages bar our own. As such, most people dont like music in a language they dont understand. Thats why we infact dont have much european music over here. Unlike in the rest of europe (eg; germany, where they speak good english) where they are willing to listen to things they dont understand, or dont fully understand. Hence JRock festivals there, and British Music in the charts :)

Also, why is this in the Gaming section??

xxXXmoomooXXxx said:
Because I'm cool XD Don't know acutally....Englands to up its own bum and loves itself . Youth culture is like the only decent thing here

Yep. We think we're the best. Thats why we have foreign aid. We see ourselves as better, and wanna try and get everyone to be like us. Damn foreign aid...

xxXXmoomooXXxx said:
This country's not actually as great as people put it >.>

Yep. But hey, you wouldnt be posting here (In theory, being a UK anime forum) if you could move away and wanted to. No where in the UK is any different really. Wales and Scotland are a bit greener?? (literally, not necassarily in our 'carbon footprint', but I dont realy belibe in global warming, so-).

If you still hate it in 10 years, move away. :p Probably what A lot of people will do.

xxXXmoomooXXxx said:
I think I am anyway XD

Haha. Sounds good (Not meant in an offensive way). I'd just love to get outta my school, where to, im not fussy, as long as it aint to religious.

Regardless of whether you think it should get recognised or not, Japanese music will very rarely (read: never) get recognition here. It's the same with British music in the US (although not to the same extent). It's a cultural thing.

Why the hell is this in the gaming forum?

I remember german band rammstein scraping into the uk top 40 a couple of years back.........and thats on the back of them being the most well known non-english singing band as well.

We get quite a few non-English songs here (at least compared to the US). A lot are translated but the originals are often included. I like it. O-Zone's Dragostea Din Tei was a massive hit around the world and that certainly wasn't in English.

With the internet and global purchasing being so common the lines between countries are vanishing. I love music from all over the world so am happy I can just hop onto Amazon.de or Yesasia and grab new works by world artists without having to sit and wait for what's served to me by the top 40 and radio.

A few J-artists have tried to make it over here too. Utada released an album here and topped the dance charts on iTunes for quite some time but never got any massmarket appeal. She'll probably try again. I've also seen M-flo CDs in some normal shops here (not sure why) and quite a few visual kei style bands seem to play the UK at some point if they get the chance.

I certainly wouldn't complain if we got some more live shows over here at least admittedly...

R

Recognize as in being popular? I don't think so. A song popularity is directly linked to popular culture, it involves a whole background. Enka songs will never be heard outside japan or can you seriously see salsa playing massively for instance?

I'd say that the english songs around the world is just proving the cultural influence of western culture, specially american around the world.

BTW - if it's in english, it's american. regardless of being AC/DC, INXS, Beatles, Iron Maiden or U2... Those illiterates! =P

If Japanese music was in English, it'd just get criticised to hell.

People just cream over Japanese manufactured pop and standard radio rock because it's in Japanese, so it makes them feel cool and underground!!!

...and of course, if it went mainstream, people would have to find a different snobbish bandwagon.

Aaron said:

People just cream over Japanese manufactured pop and standard radio rock because it's in Japanese, so it makes them feel cool and underground!!!

...and of course, if it went mainstream, people would have to find a different snobbish bandwagon.

Er, I don't like it for those reasons. And I like an awful lot of English music too :p

Though some of the local comments made about Utada's English album when it came out made me facepalm. "Her lyrics are weird!" "She must be bad at English!" when she's fluent and her Japanese lyrics are just as eccentric, if not more so...

R

It depends really *Images of yobs staring with expressions that clearly show "WTF" at a japanese anime opening being played on a tv come to mind. LOL*... some of the music isn't really that good and is only even given a chance by people over here purely for the fact that it's japanese >_>. Japanese people think the same way about English songs, only they DO have it over in Japan.

Aaron said:

Deidara said:
It depends really *Images of yobs staring with expressions that clearly show "WTF" at a japanese anime opening being played on a tv come to mind. LOL*... some of the music isn't really that good and is only even given a chance by people over here purely for the fact that it's japanese >_>. Japanese people think the same way about English songs, only they DO have it over in Japan.
True for some people, but there are those who truly like Japanese pop / rock and just like any other place in the world you have good and bad music.

"Japanese people think the same about english songs" I don't think so... English songs are huge in most places in the world.

It wouldn't happen really. We have hardly any of the big European bands/singers in our charts, and even if they do get in they often dissapear very quickly because we're not interested in them enough.

As a country, we suck as listening to music that isn't in English because we don't like not understanding the lyrics, and we often don't like the idea of having to translate it lol

Thats a general 'we' obviously, I personally listen to Japanese, Chinese, Korean, French, German, Icelandic and Celtic stuffs ^_^

When I lived abroad, and from what I've heard from foreign friends, you don't hear alot of English music being played in shops etc, people will listen to a few of the HUGE bands/singers but often they would far rather just listen to their own countries music.

Mollfie said:
When I lived abroad, and from what I've heard from foreign friends, you don't hear alot of English music being played in shops etc, people will listen to a few of the HUGE bands/singers but often they would far rather just listen to their own countries music.
The "few" english bands had a law passed in Brazil so radios needed to play 30% of brazilian artists or pay a penalty fee.
Many radios pay the penalty and won't care.

Also, if we are talking about rock / classic rock radios, english is a large part of them. Similarly, if you're into Opera, there are very few not in italian....

Back