SFX plan special edition magazine totally devoted to anime

McIcy said:
I love GITS SAC but what a surprise having Akira there, I mean its an ok film but not something I'd put in my top 5

That's the first time I've heard someone refer to Akira as "ok". I'm surprised you're surprised.

Espy said:
McIcy said:
I love GITS SAC but what a surprise having Akira there, I mean its an ok film but not something I'd put in my top 5

That's the first time I've heard someone refer to Akira as "ok". I'm surprised you're surprised.

Here’s the second time! :D I wasn’t overly impressed by Akira myself (it was OK) but as this is a list is of ‘essential anime you must see’ I don’t think there’s much argument against it being in the top 5.

Not so sure that Totoro is the most important film to be seen by anyone interested in anime though. If I’d compiled the list I’d have picked another Ghibli film above that one if not something else all together.

Will be going out on my lunch hour today to buy this mag and then I shall pass judgement on what has been written.

harkins said:
Not so sure that Totoro is the most important film to be seen by anyone interested in anime though. If I’d compiled the list I’d have picked another Ghibli film above that one if not something else all together.

Yeah I would have thought there were better Ghibli films that could have been chosen Totoro isn't as good as films such as Laputa, Spirited Away or The Cat Returns (my fave one)

Full List
25. Excel Saga
24. Wolf's Rain
23. Hellsing
22. Animatrix
21. Mind Game
20. Trigun
19. Bubblegum Crisis
18. Memories
17. Tenchi Muyo (no series, just in general)
16. Elfen Lied
15. Naruto
14. FMA
13. Vision of Escaflowne
12. Gundam (no series, just in general)
11. Laputa Castle in the Sky
10. Cowboy Bebop
9. Serial Experiments Lain
8. Macross Plus
7. GitS Movies
6. Spirited Away
5. Paranoia Agent
4. Evangelion
3. GitS: SAC
2. Akira
1. My Neighbour Totoro

Dammit went out to buy a copy today and no one had it in, gonna have to pop out to asda tomorrow and see if they have any copies for sale

Espy said:
Why is the Animatrix in there? =(
<cynicism>
Because it had some Japanese involvement and is based upon a huge American franchise, which means more people have seen that than other, very much better anime.
</cynicism>

I liked Animatrix...even though I couldn't really be bothered with the movies. :?

But I'm totally confused how Hellsing came below that, and some serious **** like Elfen Lied.

Oh well...different strokes...

Cowboy Bebop should have been higher up - in my opinion and in the general anime community's. Wasn't it #1 in this site's polls?

Not been able to find a copy of the mag yet.

Nice variety in the list. I expect Animatrix is in there because it has a selection of different anime styles and has sold loads more than most of the others in there. Totoro is an excellent film (and doesn't use awful jazz music to sound cool!)

cornixt said:
Totoro is an excellent film (and doesn't use awful jazz music to sound cool!)

Yeah, you're right, maybe if Cowboy Bebop used nu-metal like every other action series it would have been better >_>

You know, the funny thing is, if this list was exactly what we expected, we'd bash it for being unoriginal. I guess you can't win.

Espy said:
cornixt said:
Totoro is an excellent film (and doesn't use awful jazz music to sound cool!)

Yeah, you're right, maybe if Cowboy Bebop used nu-metal like every other action series it would have been better >_>

GitS doesn't do too bad with techno. I like Cowboy Bebop despite hating the soundtrack

You know, the funny thing is, if this list was exactly what we expected, we'd bash it for being unoriginal. I guess you can't win.

Not too much bashing going on, personal tastes will never quite match a list like that.

I don't get why Hellsing is on there. I didn't think many people were positive about that series at all. I mean the animation is pretty stiff, there's not much violence really and there is little plot or character development to speak of.

Of course a Ghibli film just had to be number one but I thought it might be something a little more watchable like Castle in the Sky.

Well I ain't gonna bitch. It's just a list and I know that mine would be better anyway. :p
cornixt said:
GitS doesn't do too bad with techno.
I wouldn't really label it as just techno since there's a wide mix in SAC including some Jazz.

On a side note it was actually the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks that got me into watching anime a lot more regulary. I owned the soundtracks over half a year before I saw the series.

7zark7 said:
Rukario said:
My Neighbour Totoro is nice, but number 1? Wtf?

Exactly what I thought... it's alright and everything, but a 'must see'? Nah - I would love to know which parts of Totoro make it so unmissable.

Agreed its a good anime but no party in it makes it jump out as a 'must see' when there are so many more anime films out there

Rukario said:
My Neighbour Totoro is nice, but number 1? Wtf? Needs more Nausciaá.

Totoro is not a strange choice. A lot of film experts rate Totoro as Miyazaki's best film. So much so that Jonathan Clements has been quoted as saying that Miyazaki won his Oscar not for Spirited Away but for My Neighbour Totoro. It's not my favourite Miyazaki either, but I know several people at work who do rate it as his best.

At least Akira wasn't number 1. I've never understood why that film is so highly rated. Maybe it's the fact that I've actually read the Manga.

Back