SFX plan special edition magazine totally devoted to anime

Would be curious to find out how they made the list (left my copy at work and am now on hol's so can't find out), but the heated discussion on the boards afterward is of no surprise.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Fair enough. :p

Though I must say I don't agree with a fair bit of what you said there.
I agree with this statement. This is a list of choices made by people who are not hardcore anime fanatics. Most of this stuff is the most widely available titles out there, which largely dosen't include things like Grave of the Fireflies and such.

As for pretentious, the second GitS movie far outweighs the first by a large factor. Rather than having boring dialogue, the second movie resorted to a whole raft of boring monologue patched together in such a way you have given up caring what the last piece of rubbish was by the time the second monologue supposedly answered the first. You seem to have a grudge against Otomo whereas I personally feel that Oshii is far more overrated. I think he should stick to writing books because, while he appears to be an excellent writer he is not a very good scriptwriter.

My tuppence worth and just a point that personal opinion varies widely and your own, however highly you regard it, remains just that. Your personal opinion.

I rather enjoyed the quotations mixed with the actually more down to earth detective story going on in Innocence as opposed to the first movie where the whole thing was rather distant in almost every area.

Gawyn said:
My tuppence worth and just a point that personal opinion ... remains just that. Your personal opinion.
Thank you Rear Admiral Obvious.
WTFDaveMustaine said:
I rather enjoyed the quotations mixed with the actually more down to earth detective story going on in Innocence as opposed to the first movie where the whole thing was rather distant in almost every area.
I personally enjoyed the lack of Motoko more than anything else. But the sequence with the mansion later in the film was frankly embarrasing.

I thought the mansion sequence was one of the best scenes from the film. Seeing the the scene where Togusa gets knocked over by the explosion followed by his chest ripping open to reveal the insides of an android and him screaming in horror only to be awakened by Batou, you release it was all just a hallucination to send them over the edge. Well just left me awe after seeing it on the big screen, to me it was presented amazingly.

I think the decision to bring Togusa's character as a new partner to Batou was a good one. In the other film we had two characters who were depressed, distant and not very likeable. In Innocence we still have Batou who is still very distant and almost inhuman in his emotions but to accompany him is a character who is constantly being effected by his surroundings which created a more interesting mix.

Also in Innocence there it seems like they made more of an effort to show Batou's human side with the inclusion of his pet dog who he obviously has effection for and the subtle romantic connections with Motoko made throughout the film and although were less obvious than in the first movie seemed to come across more sincerely than in the first.

But now i'm going on... :lol: I just thought it was a really great movie and I hold it in a much higher regard than the first yet I still acknowledge the impact the first movie had and still consider it a must see for people just starting out watching anime.

Last edited by a moderator:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
I think the decision to bring Togusa's character as a new partner to Batou was a good one. In the other film we had two characters who were depressed, distant and not very likeable. In Innocence we still have Batou who is still very distant and almost inhuman in his emotions but to accompany him is a character who is constantly being effected by his surroundings which created a more interesting mix.

Also in Innocence there it seems like they made more of an effort to show Batou's human side with the inclusion of his pet dog who he obviously has effection for and the subtle romantic connections with Motoko made throughout the film and although were less obvious than in the first movie seemed to come across more sincerely than in the first.
These are points that all count for the film, and make it more enjoyable than the original... I think their impact was lessened though by the fact that I watched Innocence after Stand Alone Complex, which does much the same and to a higher degree.
WTFDaveMustaine said:
yet I still acknowledge the impact the first movie had and still consider it a must see for people just starting out watching anime.
I just feel that movies like this (GitS, Akira), continually held aloft as great introductions to anime are falsely done so. Only fans under the classic profile (14-30 year old males, sci-fi / fantasy nerds) still continue to get gripped by these films, and I think that many, many others who would call themselves anime fans would not be sold on anime through these films. I certainly wasn't, yet the assumption still remains that we must be thankful to these 'pioneers' who gave us anime. I think that's the archaic mode of thinking, where anime is a genre (like romantic comedy, or sci-fi, or thriller) and not simply a medium which contains genres (like Black & White film, or Colour film, or cgi animation).

I think the problem is that a lot of these sort of things limit their must see's to only the likes of Ninja Scroll, GitS, Akira and the more well known Ghibli films and pretty much leave it at that. Personally I would expand this almost set list of must see anime to include Satoshi Kon's movies which include a variety of genres, Millennium Actress(a romantic drama), Tokyo Godfathers(a pure comedy with some minimal drama) and Perfect Blue(a realistic psychological thriller with a horror twist).

GitS is however one of the movies that got me into anime, looking back now it's pretty low on the list but I respect it and Akira for that. They had that certain ounce of intelligence to them that I didn't expect and it's what got me interested and after diving down the rabbit holes they let me to discover much greater movies and series. For me as a starting point for anime it was a good first step but the way they tend to market it as violence or Ghibli (though not so much now) I guess a lot of people could be put off by that.

But whatever i'm just kinda babbling now.

kupoartist said:
I think that's the archaic mode of thinking, where anime is a genre (like romantic comedy, or sci-fi, or thriller) and not simply a medium which contains genres (like Black & White film, or colour film, or cgi animation).
Thing is anime is both a genre , a medium, and almost a Protected designation of origin (though it's not a food), as previous discussions on this board seem to suggest that 'true' anime only comes from Japan.
The reason why most people suggest movies as an intro to anime is because that's how most of us got started. Who here started their anime buying with and 8 DVD/ video series at £10 to £20 a volume? Not many, most started with movies as they are stand alone and easier on the budget. As for GitS and Akira hold a high place in people lists as for a long time that was all that was available (as well as Urotsukidoji but we'd rather about forget that).

WTFDaveMustaine said:

I must admit, I didn't enjoy Innocence (or the original for that matter) on first viewing. But after watching the 1st Gig of Stand Alone Complex and knowing the characters a little better, I really enjoy watching the movies now. :)

7zark7 said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

I must admit, I didn't enjoy Innocence (or the original for that matter) on first viewing. But after watching the 1st Gig of Stand Alone Complex and knowing the characters a little better, I really enjoy watching the movies now. :)

I agree the movies are easier to get your head around after watching the series

FINALLY GOT MY COPY

Wandered into ASDA today and for once went into the paper shop next door first and there it was staring up at me, my own copy and now I will spend this afternoon reading it.

I bought my copy today. Have only browsed through it and though a lot I will probably know about already it should still be diverting.

The Top 25 listings are debatable mind you, though that's more down to individual preference than anything else. No Patlabor 1&2?! Absurd! No Wings Of Honneamise?! Evil! My Neighbour Totoro - good though I think it is - number 1?! Not on my list its not (I suspect its been debated a lot on this thread already but I haven't read all the posts for it)!

Hey, i only just bought this today, i had completely forgotten about it and just happened to stumble upon it in a WHSmiths. Funny that it's still out after being released a while ago, maybe Cornwalls just slow.

I really quite liked this magazine, manga preview (though not really my thing), reviews, a pretty decent top 25, though of course i couldn't say i agreed with half of it, lol (everyone has their own preference). There was also some nice little tutorials, and even a little screenshot quiz, i do like a good quiz, especially when i do well, lol.

Is this really just a one of thing, seems a shame

I couldn't find one copy when it first came out, now I've tracked one down it seems to be in every newsagent I go into, bloody typicle

Back