SFX Anime Special 30th July+ Free FMA Brotherhood 2 Ep DVD

sanji no 1 said:
I bought the magazine friday and i was RIPPED OFF!

You get 6 Really small badges and 2 of mine were dented. theres not much to read about its mostly just crap about studio Ghibli. Anyone thinking of buying, this i would think twice. Or actually just nick the Fullmetal alchemist dvd which was great btw.
Cheers for the warning!

SFX Anime edition

I picked this up this morning and I have to say it's definitely not worth the £7.99 price tag for the gifts included.

The poster is nice with Ponyo and Totoro to choose from. The badges are very cheap and the pin rattles a lot. The DVD is a welcomed, but it's an Eco-Disc. That means it's about half the thickness of a normal DVD so easily flexes in the hand. You could snap it very very easily.

If it had the GiTS magnets in then it would have been a better deal, but as it stands it should be a £5.99 mag.

There should be images of the table of contents, badges, and DVD below.

Thanks for the pics, dude! The badges look nice enough in photos, shame they aren't actually that good. And I'd never even heard of an "eco-disc", those things look mad fragile.

"Anime can't be American, right? Wrong!"

I'm already raging and I didn't even buy the magazine. ^^;

Could you tell me what they put in the "Overlooked Anime" section?

Overlooked anime talks about the work of Hayao Miyazaki, Mamoru Oshii, Hideaki Anno, and Katsuhiro Otomo and work that they have done, but isn't available in the UK.

They mention Future Boy Conan, Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer, Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water and Roujin Z

Matthew said:
Overlooked anime talks about the work of Hayao Miyazaki, Mamoru Oshii, Hideaki Anno, and Katsuhiro Otomo and work that they have done, but isn't available in the UK.

FAIL.

I don't see how any of those names warrant a place in an article about 'overlooked anime' - most folks with the interest and inclination will have read up on them by now.

If they'd mentioned shows like Last Exile, Yukikaze or some of the older, forgotten shows of yesteryear - I mean the truly obscure efforts - it'd have been a bit more impressive.

Seems like another exercise in catch-all feature writing to me. :?

Re: SFX Anime edition

Matthew said:
The DVD is a welcomed, but it's an Eco-Disc. That means it's about half the thickness of a normal DVD so easily flexes in the hand. You could snap it very very easily.
PCPro switched to these for their cover mounts a couple of months ago. Prior to that the only time I'd seen one was actually the 2007 SFX Total Anime promo disc.

ayase said:
Godot said:
Ghost in the Shell magnets? I must have!
Before you get too excited, sadly the UK version doesn't include the GitS magnets. Tipped the balance against buying it for me. I had a look today in the newsagents (well, as good a look as you can have at a magazine sealed in a cardboard box) but eight quid for a magazine is ludicrous anyway.

Actually no. The magnets came in the first or second issue they did, I have them on my fridge [=

Paradox295 said:
memorium said:
sounds awful

i wish there was a dedicated Anime/Manga magazine in the UK, but then again, we have the internet :wink:

What about NEO? :lol:
I noticed this on a shelf the other day, was gobsmacked that they still make it. Is it still about anime?

I still think NEO is a pretty good mag to pick up and the subscription is still pretty cheap. You get the occasional sampler disc with an issue too.

Durial666 said:
ayase said:
Godot said:
Before you get too excited, sadly the UK version doesn't include the GitS magnets...
Actually no. The magnets came in the first or second issue they did, I have them on my fridge [=
Ah. I just noticed that price-tag for $18.90, put two and two together and apparently came up with five.

Still, I'm so used to the UK being shafted can you really blame me?

I managed to pick this up in a WHSmith while visiting relatives near Maidenhead.

Just thought I'd say...my Death the Kid badge wouldn't even open until I forcefully bent it a bit at the back. The badges also dent very easily.

I found the free disc, to be pretty nice. I didn't notice any problems in flexibility with my eco-disc - felt like a normal DVD to me. But now that I tried it, it is a bit flimsy.

The magazine itself, I feel was lacking. If not for the FMA Brotherhood DVD, I wouldn't have brought it - never mind pay less than £7.99 for it. The magazine has very little, and it's easy to skim through it in a couple of minutes. And notice how with the FMA:B article, they focused on voice actors remaining - and they mentioned both the Japanese and dub? Then how come in FMA:B, only Ed, Al, Bradley and Major Armstrong reprised their roles from the 2003 anime?

Also, this is a dig at FUNi, not at SFX...but why did they have to ruin Truth's voice? In the Japanese, it spoke with the VA of the person who it is speaking to, with distortion. They just gave Truth 2003 Wrath's voice.

ayase said:
Durial666 said:
ayase said:
Godot said:
Before you get too excited, sadly the UK version doesn't include the GitS magnets...
Ah. I just noticed that price-tag for $18.90, put two and two together and apparently came up with five.

Still, I'm so used to the UK being shafted can you really blame me?

Not in the slightest.

I already imported the Blu-rays. ^^;

I guess I'm still intrigued to see exactly what they did with it, and I kind of want to support the *idea* of things like this... but yeah.

Back