September issue of NEO out this week

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The September issue (10th volume) of NEO magazine is out in the UK this week and includes a free 16-page Mahoromatic manga preview as well as articles on (amongst others) Howl's Moving Castle, Millenium Actress, Appleseed and the controversial subject of anime fansubs.

As ever, you should be able to find NEO in any number of high-street magazine retailers (HMV, WH Smiths and Borders to name but a few).

My suscripted issue arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised to see The Pillows were interviewed (though I would have loved a longer article about them), I'd grown used to seeing NEO featuring mainly generic JPOP singers so it's a nice change to see some decent music being plugged in there. Asian Kung-Fu Generation should be next on their hit-list ;)

I can't really hide my disappointment in the fansub article though which pretty much reiterates what most of us already know without ever getting under the skin of the modern community (and the knee-jerk conceptions that go along with it). I remember an old PC Zone format where the writers would debate certain issues over a few pages and the differing opinions often made for a fun and insightful read- I got the feeling something like that would have been more useful here.

All in all, this is another consistent issue of the magazine.

i've been hoping to see a JROCK band interview in NEO for a while now, so i'm really looking forward to read what the Pillows have to say (the FLCL soundtrack absolutely rocks).

The Pillows? Bloody hell, now this I need to read, they're one of my favourite groups. I know it's a(n incredibly) long shot, but is there any mention of any UK appearances or releases? Would love to see a domestic Fool on the Planet or Little Busters.

well, the Mad Capsule Markets played at Donington this year, so who knows? band such as the Pillows will certainly benefit from some UK press coverage.

Paul said:
I remember an old PC Zone format where the writers would debate certain issues over a few pages and the differing opinions often made for a fun and insightful read- I got the feeling something like that would have been more useful here.
The supertests? I used to love reading those :) PCZ used to be a quality PC Gaming mag, but I got the impression they "sold out" about the time I lost interest. High reviews for big name games that sucked... Unreal 2 being the optimum example. edit: sorry, off topicness :p

I got my copy on Saturday, so far I've only flicked through but it looks to be about a consistent level with the last issue, although once again they've printed a letter from someone who thinks 3-disc "perfect collections" aren't bootlegs... :?

I will be interested in a few of the things in this issue, like the Howl's Moving Castle review, but i doubt i will even read the fansub article, i'm sure it won't tell me anything new and just serve as a tool of annoyance for me

Paul said:
controversial subject of anime fansubs.

Ill just rip that section out then. Or glue the pages together, whatever.

So it comes down to NEO or Doctor Who again.

Me thinks Doctor Who will win :p

I have to admit to being attracted to the front cover (first time since the FMA one!), but the contents don't interest me this time.
I don't think I'll bother this month, as I still haven't read even one page of the previous 2 issues and I'd rather put the money towards 1/2 a manga book.

kupoartist said:
Paul said:
I remember an old PC Zone format where the writers would debate certain issues over a few pages and the differing opinions often made for a fun and insightful read- I got the feeling something like that would have been more useful here.
The supertests? I used to love reading those :) PCZ used to be a quality PC Gaming mag, but I got the impression they "sold out" about the time I lost interest. High reviews for big name games that sucked... Unreal 2 being the optimum example. edit: sorry, off topicness :p

No you're right. Although I mainly used to read the mag for the quirky humour they had (and still do), the reviews aren't what they used to be, and the articles aren't really all that insightful. That's why I largely stick to EDGE these days. I've never owned a console in my life, but it's still far more interesting for me than any current dedicated PC gaming magazines.

I got Neo today, in Borders of all places. Pretty good issue. I skimmed the fansubs article. But it did nothing to convince me :p

For some strange twisted reason that article about 4 fingers had me hooked :?

Cant wait for next months 2nd article on MA.

It seems ok to me but far to many rubbish articles that have no intrest to me: Jackie Chan, The five fingered one, the Fansub one(felt a but to preachy), The amroured core one and the monster fight one. I'm not complaining that these were included as somepeople probably like them. It's just not my cup of tea.

Having said that the rest of it was good.

Paul said:
My suscripted issue arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised to see The Pillows were interviewed (though I would have loved a longer article about them), I'd grown used to seeing NEO featuring mainly generic JPOP singers so it's a nice change to see some decent music being plugged in there. Asian Kung-Fu Generation should be next on their hit-list ;)
I'm glad you liked the Pillows interview, but hey, I wouldn't call Rie Fu, Ayaka Hirahara, Crystal Kay, L'Arc~en~Ciel, and Chihiro Onitsuka generic singers. ;p

Been trying to get AKFG for a while, actually. They have a US album coming up, so we'll probably work something out soon.

Jonathan Mays said:
Paul said:
I'm glad you liked the Pillows interview, but hey, I wouldn't call Rie Fu, Ayaka Hirahara, Crystal Kay, L'Arc~en~Ciel, and Chihiro Onitsuka generic singers. ;p

Been trying to get AKFG for a while, actually. They have a US album coming up, so we'll probably work something out soon.

Obviously this my personal opinion, but I don't think a band like L'Arc~en~Ciel are anywhere near the quality of Asian Kung Fu Generation or The Pillows. I can listen to these bands over and over and never get bored. I made the quoted comment because I see a lot of twinkly JPOP vocalists in NEO, bands and singers who just look manufactured.

I'd love to see more (even indie) Japanese rock featured in the magazine. It's great to hear you're going to try to interview AKFG and if you'd like more suggestions of some promising Japanese rock bands, look no further than the BECK (anime) soundtrack; specifically BEAT CRUSADERS and Meister.

Paul said:
I'd love to see more (even indie) Japanese rock featured in the magazine. It's great to hear you're going to try to interview AKFG and if you'd like more suggestions of some promising Japanese rock bands, look no further than the BECK (anime) soundtrack; specifically BEAT CRUSADERS and Meister.
i think to hear from some indie bands would be really good, and of course if NEO manage to get a feature from Asian Kung Fu Generation sometime in the future that would be great, something i would love to see.

In this issue i like the Jackie Chan article, and i found the five-finger discount article very interesting (i had no idea about any of that), i also continue to enjoy the manga creating tips from sweatdrop. But hope the adverts in the back don't get any more explicit, i've always been really put off by game and movie magazines when they shove a bunch of half naked women at the back of their magazine

Thats what Im talking 'bout.

Also In fansubbing section I saw this comment
But these days we have 10 groups subbing Naruto

For a fansubber he does'nt seem to have his finger on the pulse of the fansub community does he because by my count theres only 2 groups that sub Naruto :shock:

P.S. I like L'arc-en-ciel but they get boring after a while AKFG are much better, Road Of Major are kind of indie aswell I think, there albums good I reccomend it.

I just remembered something i was disappointed about this issue, i guess it's no big deal, but i noticed that the comptetion in this issue for the wonderful prize of a PSP can only be entered via the phone, but for me thats quite annoying, as competition line numbers such as that have been disabled from my home phone, and i'm not sure how much more it will cost from a mobile. Plus i would say it's just altogether more expensive than a postcard

Back