SD, HD, BR?

In the US DVD stands for Digital Video Disc which is a registered trademark and is why it's called Digital Versatile Disc here. :wink:

No, the same body, The DVD Forum, controls the name, and other stuff to do with the format, worldwide. It stands for Digital Versatile Disc everywhere, but it is unofficially called Digital Video Disc by some people.

JohnC said:
No, the same body, The DVD Forum, controls the name, and other stuff to do with the format, worldwide. It stands for Digital Versatile Disc everywhere, but it is unofficially called Digital Video Disc by some people.
It is since 1995, but the yanks have called it Digital Video Disc from day one and to them it's still that way. :wink:

Some people may call it that, but it is not officially called that anywhere. There is no issue with registered trademarks or anything like that, as you said earlier. Why would there be when the same body controls the licensing worldwide? The Video part of the name stems from early mistaken media reports.

ayase said:
BD = Blu-ray Disc just as DVD = Digital Versatile Disc (no capital R on 'ray'). I don't see any difference really.

Just that 'Blu-ray' is two syllables & 'BD' is also two syllables, meaning that there is no logical reason to refer to it as BD rather than Blu-ray when speaking. 'DVD' is three syllables, where as 'Digital Versatile Disc' is seven syllables, & we say 'DVD' because it is four syllables less.

But I bet if you measured the time it took to say 'BD' and 'Blu-ray' it would be marginally faster to say the former. Plus it sounds more technical and cooler. ;)

Jayme said:
There's also High Def and HD. yet I opt to use the latter. The same deal for Blu-ray and BD.

We use 'HD' because it is fewer syllables than 'High Definition'. 'High Def' is just lazy speak.

I have yet to see Blu-ray referred to as 'BD' in any official capacity, by any retailers, etc.

Project-2501 said:
Mutsumi said:
I have yet to see Blu-ray referred to as 'BD' in any official capacity, by any retailers, etc.

No, but every box has the words 'Blu-ray Disc' and the BD logo on the top.

And of course there is 'BD Live'.

True enough it could be argued that the Blu-ray logo resembles a lower-case b & a capital D. Not heard of 'BD Live' though, where would I find that?

My point is that BD is not quicker to say than Blu-ray.

ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
My point is that BD is not quicker to say than Blu-ray
No, but I think it takes slightly more effort to make the lip movements required for "Blu-ray".

Find me someone who is willing to stand up & say "that little bit of extra effort is too much for me" & I'll find you someone to laugh at them for saying that.

Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
My point is that BD is not quicker to say than Blu-ray
No, but I think it takes slightly more effort to make the lip movements required for "Blu-ray".

Find me someone who is willing to stand up & say "that little bit of extra effort is too much for me" & I'll find you someone to laugh at them for saying that.
I believe you are missing the point.

Back